cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you ever use the step well cover

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
When I upgraded my coach, I thought for sure that we'd use the step well cover every time we travelled, but I've noticed that my wife never uses it in practice. She seems perfectly content to sit at the passenger's seat and dangle her feet. I guess it's easier than opening and closing the cover whenever we want to stop and get out.

How about you? Do you use the step well cover?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
41 REPLIES 41

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The motorhomes we've been in have a foot rest attached to the seat in addition to the step well cover. We used the foot rest.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
This is an interesting thread. I've often wondered if there was something for the passenger to rest their feet on while moving.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
All the time.

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Never use mine. The wife likes to sit in back when we are underway so we really have no need for it.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

conmoto
Explorer
Explorer
My wife uses the step cover every time we roll down the road. On our coach it can be a BIG step off the chair if not careful.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Never, but then again I travel solo!
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
Use it while rolling and at night for the dog to sleep on. He will sleep on it, but won't sit on it while rolling. I think he saw it go out with such force one time it may have scared him. Love it!

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
We use it all the time, my wife is not tall and really doesn't rest her feet on it but she does not like the feeling of openness under her feet if it is not out. Takes two seconds to deploy or retract.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
predawn wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
Predawn, I was talking about what Trackrig had in his signature.

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

I'm not sure I understand it all but it looks like a sturdy rig that might not have an electric step cover.

MM.

too funny. your right you don't understand. hes talking about his off road hunting vehicle called a nodwell not his DPRV
His MH is a 2005 Fleetwood 39S Excursion according to his signature

That's funny, I didn't dig deep enough. LOL!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
predawn wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
In 10 years - never used it.

If you had a electric over air system you would use it all the time travelling

Yep, all we had to do was press a button. However, we found no reason to use it. The passenger was quite comfortable. I guess we just got used to doing without and never really thought about it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Predawn, I was talking about what Trackrig had in his signature.

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

I'm not sure I understand it all but it looks like a sturdy rig that might not have an electric step cover.

MM.
Mr.Mark

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
predawn wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
In 10 years - never used it.

If you had a electric over air system you would use it all the time travelling
I thought the same thing as you, but we do have the electric system, it's very easy to deploy and she still never uses it.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Ours was always closed when we were in the RV. It was in the stored position when we were out and about. We liked the little bit of extra floor space for setting things out of the way, like a bag of garbage pulled out of the can and tied up prior to bed. We normally dumped the trash in the morning but did not want the onion, etc smell from prepping dinner. My wife always used the arm chair ottoman for a foot rest when we were going down the road. Pushing a switch was not to much of an inconvenience.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
predawn wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
predawn wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
She'll use the step cover about once a month. Overall I find it to be a pain. If I'm carrying something large into the MH, often my arm will hit the catch allowing the cover to fall down.

Bill

Must be a real old MH?Most all step well covers are electric/air or electric gear drive so
almost no one would have that problem.I have never seen nor heard of a hatch system like you have

I think Bill has a very unusual motorhome as his description makes it sound like an off road type unit.
Entry level motorhomes had/have a manual bi-fold hatch for the step well cover.

MM.

Its a 2005 Fleetwood 39S Excursion? Not that old and certainly not unusual and definatly not offroad. Iam on my 4th DPMH. first was a 1997 and they all had the auto driven flat hatch system, so surprized a fairly new one has a manual foldup system?Like you say entry level have them.

I must have misread your description or read someone else's. Sorry.

We rented a 2005 and a 2006 Fleetwood 38 ft. Expedition that had the manual foot-well covers.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark