cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Buy and Old Motorhome Unless...

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you know exactly what it needs in repairs, replacements and upgrades for safe and reliable driving and enjoyment, and you have the money to pay for parts and labor (or) you have all the skills, tools, materials and time and work space to do most of the work yourself. Look for any signs of water damage, mold smell, etc. Don't rely on the seller's honesty, have the rig inspected by a pro truck mechanic and an RV repair service and get estimates before you buy it. If the seller balks at this, run!! Don't buy on impulse. Try to make sure that the length, floor plan and features, including sleeping arrangements fits your forseable needs and desires. If possible, save your money until you can buy a rig no more than 3 years old, needs nothing, and is ready for cross-country travel. Cost of ownership of an RV is not cheap, do not buy on impulse. Do your homework before you buy.

I will not repeat this same mantra again.
45 REPLIES 45

mobjack68
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to hijack a thread here, but there are a lot of arguments for AND against older units...A, B, C, thru Z...we all know this.
Yes, there are issues but I believe that like most everything else, old cars, boats, houses, airplanes....we know maintenance is involved.
I believe that the manufacturers of a lot of older motorhomes/campers did not believe their units would be on the road after 30 years. But here we are. I did not get glossy eyed when I looked at this unit...I have been into cars mos all of my adult life, enjoy wrenching on things...always have.

There are a lot of folks out there that purchase a MH and don't have a clue in the world...then they want to fuss about all the problems/money lost/investment depreciation...you get the idea. The thread started with "Don't buy an old MH unless....." And there I go....

As stated above, MH is a compromise...House...Car...Truck...Bathroom...Navigation station...
Water inside that needs to stay in...water outside that needs to stay out...gotta heat the air, gotta cool the air...etc..etc..etc.

I guess where I am going with this??? I am NOT worried about losing money or losing ground, my MH will only get better the more I work on it. Am I worried about breaking down on the road? Why, sure, everyone that drives one should be scared to death about that. Is that going to stop us?? No, we prepare as best we can and try to provide contingency plans for eventualities. My moniker has been...Don't just fix it...make it better. With few exceptions, most MH problems require a little bit a courage, basic hand tools, sweat, a little blood occasionally (poor knuckles)and possibly some adult beverage.
the advice to Not Buy is probably good advice for someone with little mechanical ability or lacks problem solving skills. Me?, I will pass on the advice. Thanks for all the thoughts...

khovius
Explorer
Explorer
I guess a lot depends on how skilled you are, or willing to try things you have never done before. We purchased a 1997 Gulfstream class C a few years ago from the original owner (yes we are still friends). It has definetly been a learning experience. You have 2 distinct items here. A Ford van and a small house on top of it. I had owned many boats over the years and poured lots of money into them, So I expected the same here. We spent about $4,000 on the vehicle portion the first year to ensure that she was road worthly, and just a new set of tires since. The house portion has been a work in process. Most of the tasks of maintenance are the same with boats and home repairs. We have ripped out most of the blue shag carpeting and replaced with hardwood. Our current project is replacing the EPDM roof. We spent the last two weekends ripping off the old roof, fixing the rotted luan and putting the new roof back on. We have 4 days, $1,000 invested so far and about a day's work left to be finished. Youtube, E-bay and Amazon are great.

As for new coaches, I have heard numerous horror stories about repair work needed on a brand new coach. At 17 years, Ours is just breaking in.

The_Fatman
Explorer
Explorer
HOLD ON !!!! I just bought a 1996 Ford E-350 Coachman #1 I have had Ford Products all My Life # 2 I owned Rental Property for Years and Repairs can be done Properly if You use common sense.#3 What I paid for the RV was such a good Price If I have to spend a little on it it is worth it Everyone cannot afford to layout 40k + to enjoy camping Better than DON'T Buy Used How about Beware when Buying Used

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
mobjack68 wrote:
...NO ENGINE ELECTRONICS
mobjack68,

I really, Really, REALLY don't want to be a crtic on your decision. You have your reasons and so I say "Well Wishes".

But......

As soon as I started reading that your new purchase is a 1985 model year, I immediately said to myself..."I sure hope it isn't carbureted". This is why.

I owned a 1983 carbureted Toyota chassis for 24 years bought new in 1983, and sold in 2007. One thing I learned about the carburetor. It just can't hold up to the ethanol added into all fuel today. There was a rubbery/synthetic diaphragm that needed replacing every few years because it would loose it's elasticity. That along with the naturally poor drivability until warmed up, lesser fuel economy, and less power. Once that engine went to multi-port fuel injection, they became more fuel efficient and offered more power, 15% more power in the case with our Toyota. Same engine, different fuel delivery system.

Multi-port fuel injection was a hard sell for me in the day, but after my first fuel injected automobile, I was sold on it.

Vehicles get better all the time. Today there are no distributors. Spark plugs last 100,000 miles. This means the engine runs "Optimally" for a very very long time.

When shopping for an older motor home, I say, get one as "least old" as possible to benefit from better chassis techology which translates into more power with less fuel, more reliable and if you care...less poluting. I won't get into the other benefits.

To others reading this....
If getting a Ford chassis, get the V10 with 4 wheel disk brakes, offered some time after 1998.
If getting the Chevy/GM, it seems the current chassis (like the Express) is a good place to start. That was introduced in 1996.

But newer yet is better yet. Changes made in brakes, transmission, and engine got better and better. A 2009 is the first year of the best Ford E350/E450.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
My guess, most buyers will not want to pay big bucks for an old rig even though extensively remodeled/renovated. Can't get bank loans on oldies. Old rigs in fair to excellent condition tend to sell for $5000 to maybe $8000. Modern rigs have more powerful engines and better cooling systems, better at climbing grades without overheating, etc. I could be wrong and often am.

mobjack68
Explorer
Explorer
Well...here I go.
Not terribly new to motorhomes, definitely NOT new to forums but new with owning my own.
Just purchased an 85 class c. Looked at a lot of "stuff" to get here and plunged headfirst knowing that repairs are imminent.
I chose an older unit because of the entry cost. I looked at newer...much newer in fact, still saw leakage.

My purchase is mechanically sound, looks good on the outside for it's age. Looks GREAT on the inside for it's age and yes, it has some issues....long term water damage. My intention is to enjoy on short trips and then get serious about tearing this thing apart to repair the damage.
I am actually kind of excited about rebuilding.....to the point that I have even thought about buying up older class c's just to rebuild and resell.
The good thing for me...I am able to do most all that needs to be done. Woodwork?? no problem! Trim? same deal. Exterior....I am thinking fiberglass panels rather that the 80's materials, yes...did commercial f'glass repair for years including fabrication.
So what would be the value of a class c that had fiberglass panels on the sides, fiberglass top and the seams between the top and the sides are fiberglassed so there are NO gaps. You know, kinda like an upside down boat.....yes done that too.

I don't think I am crazy, I like my "C" and think rather than a newer vehicle (think taxes/depreciation...NO ENGINE ELECTRONICS) spending time and some cash on this one makes a ton of sense...at least to me.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sea Dog, That is a great back drop. Many people buy older units with good experiences. Point well received.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Be prepared to regret not taking a thorough test drive before committing, new or used. I neglected that rule... but only once. It ain't gonna drive any better just because you signed a piece of paper.

Jim, "Some folks are like Slinkies... not good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, I wish I had known all this before we bought, private sale, on the spot,
our /93 classC in the year 2000!

If we had realized the pitfalls, it would have prevented us from having to drive
this elderly unit to every corner of North America,
including several trips to Florida.

I wish I had known,
that way, I would not have to bother retrieving the now twenty year old rig
from storage and mindlessly driving it to the east coast this summer.

What is it they say,
Too soon old, too late smart?
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is also stored inside when not in use and still looks like a new coach when outside and in use and it is 10 already.We both have a problem getting into it with the 6 steps up but haven't seen anything smaller we like as well.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I call what Ron shows above a "Love Coach." A little hard to describe, but very easy to recognize. Very likely stored inside or at least sheltered/covered. All maintenance up to date, all receipts and manuals neatly filed, trips documented, lots of little convenience modifications. Clean, and it's likely the sellers respect, even reverence it.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buying "New", "Used", or "Well used", is all about budget, know-how, and finding the perfect unit.

My motto....Don't buy what you can't afford, period. If that means you need to go older, but you don't have the right skills, then don't by anything. You need to be both handy in the trades and in auto repair or an old unit will quickly turn into the cost of a new one. Paying qualified people to make such repairs won't be worth the low purchase price.

There are few exceptions to buying a old used one if not having any mechanical skills. For example, you find a "True" cream puff, hardly used and stored indoors it's entire life....basically like new. But those are a very rare find.

This would be an example of a 6 year old cream puff, stored indoors when not on vacation, heated in winter & kept cool in summer. Note the hanging furnace. This is a well preserved motor home.

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow,

I will Never buy another old motorhome.

We are going to have to make this one last, but it only has 135K on it. Maybe if I can buy a brand new coach with 6' head room and 9'6" air draft, front wheel drive, air suspension (cab adjustable), no structural wood, a 13" floor height and NO PAYMENT BOOK, I will probably do it.

Until then, we will just make do with out 40yo coach and the wonderful people that come with it. After all we have only put 3700 miles on it this year.

I have to shampoo the carpet before we go out again. I hate doing all this maintenance myself.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
:S "Here's your sign."
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
sh410 wrote:
Got to love the logic that takes a personal experience and applies that to everyones experience.
X2