Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

double pane window

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!
I am thinking of purchasing a 2017 bounder 33c or the Allegro 31sa. after looking at all the specs, I am still not sure if Fleetwood puts double pane windows in their rv. Allegro says it installs 1/4 inch windows. Does anyone know what type of windows Fleetwood installs?
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA
21 REPLIES 21

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help.
Found the 'Dual Pane' description in the Bounder brochure and the 1/4" window description in the Allegro brochure.

Seems like the dual panes would be quieter with 2 1/8th inch panes with air space, but could, and will eventually, leak moisture. The 1/4" must be almost bullet proof, no leaking, but not as quiet, and need to be extra secure in their frames to not fall out.

Now plan to go look again to compare windows and other stuff.
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
The side windows in my Monaco are 7/16 inch thick. The air space between is 3/16 so I guess each glass is 2/16" or 1/8" thick. I am in the process of rebuilding the drivers side sliding window because it has condensation between the panes.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I should add that a tiny leak is no big deal. A big leak can allow fogging and condensation to take place between the panes. Some even end up with streaking that won't wash off. And that is a pain. Hah.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Floridastorm wrote:
Double pane windows are fine. But, as with house windows especially in the sunbelt states, Low E is very important. That is where Argon Gas is located in between the panes and stops the majority of the heat entering due to the extreme sun. I am wondering if double pane Low E windows are made for RV's?

Not that I'm aware of. Problem with that idea is that the gas would quickly leak out as an RV is a house getting banged around while driving. The windows would leak because of the racking that goes on almost continuously while on the road. I imagine all the gas would be gone within a few weeks. Double paned windows don't really need to be fully sealed to do a good job, they just need a dead air space to accomplish their purpose. So a leak or two in a common RV type dbl paned window is no big deal.

Hmmmmm. Never thought of that. Makes sense.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Floridastorm wrote:
Double pane windows are fine. But, as with house windows especially in the sunbelt states, Low E is very important. That is where Argon Gas is located in between the panes and stops the majority of the heat entering due to the extreme sun. I am wondering if double pane Low E windows are made for RV's?

Not that I'm aware of. Problem with that idea is that the gas would quickly leak out as an RV is a house getting banged around while driving. The windows would leak because of the racking that goes on almost continuously while on the road. I imagine all the gas would be gone within a few weeks. Double paned windows don't really need to be fully sealed to do a good job, they just need a dead air space to accomplish their purpose. So a leak or two in a common RV type dbl paned window is no big deal.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
The Bounder we had had double pane windows up front, driver and passenger windows. Of course the windshield was single pane. In our Winnebago the passenger window is double pane. The driver's window is a power window that goes down into the door, it's single pane and of course so is the windshield.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Just know that the double pane ends at the cab. My windshield and side windows in the cab are standard automotive glass, unlike a trailer that may have double pane throughout.

Double pane are great for noise reduction, minimizing interior frosting, and some thermal credit, but the noise reduction is awesome for us, don't care about the rest.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"the trippers".....Yes...it comes with tinted dual pane windows. I had the brochure and the quote from the brochure typed up on here last night, but RV.NET went down and it was lost.

If you look at the 2017 Bounder 33C online brochure, page 5, under Exterior, the last standard item on the list, just before "Options" shows that they come with tinted dual pane.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
I believe the 1/4" he's speaking of is the glass thickness, not a space between panes. My parents Allegro had that.

With that said, we've had single pane and double pane windows. For me I wouldn't consider single panes ever again. It would be a deal breaker.

Okay, never seen 1/4" thick glass in an RV, that's a really thick pane of glass.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have had double pane windows on our RV's and they do cut down on the inside condensation. Unfortunately you will still get condensation on your windshield and on the aluminum window frames if the inside moisture is too high.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Unlike your house, in an RV you are sleeping very close to the window and double pane really cuts down on that feeling of cold air sliding off the glass onto you....

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have double pane and would never purchase an rv with single pane glass.

One way to tell - light a cigarette lighter and hold it up next to the glass on the inside. Do you see one or two flames. On double pane you should see 2 flames in the glass.

Viewfinder
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what year it started, but my 2014 Allegro 36LA has full 1/4 inch glass. I find it to be far better than standard glass but not as good as double pane. Have been down in the low 20's with it without any problems.

jim