cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downsizing is not easy

burgess001
Explorer
Explorer
In May, we sold our 04 Dutch Star Diesel with the intent of downsizing. I thought selling would be hard. That was easy, compared to the headache of finding something small that can effectively replace a 98 Dutch Star, followed by a new 04 Dutch Star. A crazy strong market for nice, short Class A's has not helped. Anyone know of a newer, short Newmar or Tiffin gasser for sale?
Jerry and Katie
More than 20 great years motorhoming and still loving it...
2004 DSDP 3810 (more than I needed...less than I wanted)
2004 Trailblazer (too heavy but well worth dragging)
12 REPLIES 12

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
time_to_go_now wrote:
Sorry. Can't help. But, why downsize? We have a 35' tiffin. We are looking to retire in a couple years. I am looking to buy another moho. I want a 36' DP. My wife is saying maybe downsize to a 28-30 foot. I don't get it! We are going to be spending more time than ever in the rig, and she wants to go smaller? I can't see that much difference in driving between a 30' and a 36'.

Why downsize?

In your case, I'd suggest going min. 40ft or it won't be long and you'll be wanting to trade up again.
Get an extra bath while you're at it, so the DW can have all her stuff in one. In fact, I now don't see how both DW and myself could have all we want in any one bath. Just spoiled now, I guess and no waiting on a BR turn either. Even when kids and or grandchildren are along.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

burgess001
Explorer
Explorer
We have accumulated around 200,000 miles in 3 larger motorhomes. Two were pushers. We are through running all over the country, but still want a "camper" to take to the lake. A DP is overkill IMO. So, we agreed to downsize. Still need bigger tanks, FULL queen bed, and comfortable seating. It's pretty hard to find all the necessities in a 5 to 10 year old 30 footer.
Jerry and Katie
More than 20 great years motorhoming and still loving it...
2004 DSDP 3810 (more than I needed...less than I wanted)
2004 Trailblazer (too heavy but well worth dragging)

Westenthal
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on contacting Lee or Jon at Steinbring. Very honest dealership.
Westenthal

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I realize I’m willing to take a big rig places most will not...pretty obvious that’s true when I’m the only big rig in a public CG. Out West we boondock 5 week days and then travel and resupply on the weekends...been doing that for 14 years with a 42’ and recently upgraded to 45’. No way would I go smaller and give up big tanks and lots of room.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Contact Lee at Steinbring Motorcoach in Garfield, Minnesota.
Their website shows quite a few smaller Class A’s.
They have the best price anywhere, and their Customer Service is 1st Class.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Right now we have a new to us 36ft Monaco outside along with our 40ft Winnebago DP which we drove up to our place in Baltimore a month ago and stayed in for 2 weeks. We are now having second thoughts about the shorter one because right off the bat we started seeing features absent in the 10 year newer Monaco. Mostly dumb stuff like central vac, sliding storage trays and lack of storage, can only refuel from one side, smaller shower, etc. One needs to go but may just keep the old one.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
This summer we were off for 6 weeks just to get away from the S&B and the heat. We didn't have the DGKs along and we really loved the room of the Winnie and while we were waiting for a new hydraulic pump so we could use levelers and slides, we got to liking the smaller size of having the slides in. The DW has wanted a really small rig with twin beds and better gas mileage, I've wanted bigger. I got the bigger, now after a big rock sticking out from the shoulder and a bent over sign post on a narrow road met the right side of the coach, coupled with the extra 6" in width and the loss of the pump, I said okay lets look at some small rigs. We had looked at a lot of Class B's and C's at shows and dealers over the years, several caught our eyes but on reflection, most were not viable candidates to replace the Winnie. What we wanted was our old 27' Bounder back, but reincarnated in the form of a 2010 or later RV. The Thor 25.5 and the Winnie 25T, have it all for us. They may be at opposite ends of the price/quality spectrum but the point is Both are narrower, shorter and have twins beds and a WC you can more than you could barely fit in much less reach the TP.

I thought bigger was better and she thought tiny was better and in reality, in between really fit. It is a compromise on each side. The Thor fits the budget and the Via fits the dream of luxury. The "Budget is Reality", the Dream is, well that a dream.

We're not newly wed's and during the last 56 years together, we have finely learned to consider each other's needs and desires, more than our own. Well mostly.:W
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Why downsize?
Less work, less expense and your rig fits everywhere.
Better fuel mileage, amd easier to drive.
Yup. Lots of reasons if they work for you.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why downsize?
Less work, less expense and your rig fits everywhere.
Better fuel mileage, amd easier to drive.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
burgess001 wrote:
Anyone know of a newer, short Newmar or Tiffin gasser for sale?

Come to Florida, preferably before the snow birds start their migration.

While some models demand higher prices, it is pretty much ALWAYS a buyers market here, especially for used, because.......many "estates" sell their RVs at very low prices.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
time_to_go_now wrote:
Sorry. Can't help. But, why downsize? We have a 35' tiffin. We are looking to retire in a couple years. I am looking to buy another moho. I want a 36' DP. My wife is saying maybe downsize to a 28-30 foot. I don't get it! We are going to be spending more time than ever in the rig, and she wants to go smaller? I can't see that much difference in driving between a 30' and a 36'.

Why downsize?

smaller rigs open up many more options in places to stay. Public CG & older parks are typically setup for smaller units. When you get up past 35' of so, you eliminate many places that you can stay.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer

Why downsize?
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's