cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving Backwards through the Truck Lanes

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday morning, I became "that guy." I ran out of DEF fluid and couldn't get the bulk hose at Loves to reach to the other side of the coach to fill the tank. The hose was only about 10 feet long. So I hopped in the coach, pulled forward while my wife blocked the lane and made a big U turn to come back into the lane the other way around.

Fortunately, it was Sunday morning and the lanes were only 70% occupied, but I had to get DEF and couldn't figure out a better way at the time.

I was wondering if any of you have the same problem with the DEF tank on the wrong side and have figured out an elegant solution to the problem.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
20 REPLIES 20

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Just so you know...it is a Spartan chassis thing now...all Freightliners have moved them (ie Thor Winne AC etc) and I've seen all the DEF tanks on the back left...only Spartan has it on the right rear..) ..I heard they were working on that...while not perfect, and not my preference...I would end up buying in driver side in a 5 gallon can and put it in after I fueled up...heck of a work around but hopefully Spartan will change that..I think the DEF tank is about 13 gallons and I heard it goes about 5 tanks of diesel...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah Ive noticed that too. Every new DP that we get in, still has the DEF tank on the curb side aft rear wheel. I have wondered "why" they havent changed to the road side yet. Guess its a Frieghtliner thing. We havent got in any new Spartan chassis yet.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you do it when it is not very busy, no problem. Please don't do it when there are several trucks behind every pump, waiting in line!

It makes NO sense to me, when mfg.'s put DEF fills on the right side, when ALL bulk DEF dispensers are on the left side!

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
Yesterday morning, I became "that guy." I ran out of DEF fluid and couldn't get the bulk hose at Loves to reach to the other side of the coach to fill the tank. The hose was only about 10 feet long. So I hopped in the coach, pulled forward while my wife blocked the lane and made a big U turn to come back into the lane the other way around.

Fortunately, it was Sunday morning and the lanes were only 70% occupied, but I had to get DEF and couldn't figure out a better way at the time.

I was wondering if any of you have the same problem with the DEF tank on the wrong side and have figured out an elegant solution to the problem.

I had same problem..so bought a 2.1 gallon gas can...fill it every cpl of fuel stops...and add when DEF gets to 3/4's...not too big to handle and stores in comp with little problem...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would think a coach that size would have fuel fills on both sides. You did what you had to do so no big deal... even if they had been busy. I would carry a couple of extra gallons of DEF and use them in this situation. Refill from the bulk or buy new.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it once, most times I go inside and buy the 2 1/2 gallon bottles

You will find that all the DEF hoses are on the drivers side.

I thought the new MH had it switched I guess not.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks