cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drumm or Disk brakes? Take a look.

userdan
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know much about brakes. Can you tell if my rear duallies have disk or drumm brakes.

1996 31'ft Fleetwood Bounder (Chevy P32 chassis)
Class A

This is a picture of the inside of the rear wheel from underneath.
Inside wheel

Bounder
24 REPLIES 24

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think all P-chassis have discs by the mid-80's. My cousin's 1990 P-30 mobile-service truck is 4-wheel disc.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
They are disc. The piece with the small rib around that you are seeing is the dust shield and the caliper is the large part where the brake line is attaching.

All GM P30/P32 chassis with 19.5 wheels had disc brakes back to the early 1980"s. Some of the smaller P30 chassis with 16" wheels of the same early 80's did have drum but eventually all ended up with disc brakes.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Disc brake.

campingking
Explorer
Explorer
And no flex line on drums....definately disc

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
Disk brakes. The large bulge is the piston. The dust shield is thin sheet metal, you can bend it with your hand.

If they were drum brakes the metal backing plate would be a full round piece and much heavier as the shoes mount to it. The brake line would be a steel tube that ran along the top of the axle and screwed straight into a wheel cylinder with no rubber hose, the bleeder is above it. There would be a flange to the outside on the backing plate that fit into a groove in the drum.

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
I thought all P30/32/42 MH chassis had 4 wheel disc brakes. My 31' 1984 Pace Arrow on P30 had front and rear discs. My current 34' 1994 Southwind on a P32 chassis has front and rear discs. I also have a set of 1996 P32/42 MH Chassis service manuals that show front and rear disc brakes.

Hope this helps.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
userdan wrote:
Is there anything easy i can do to determine which without pulling the tires off?

Yes, goto the Yahoo/Bounder forum and ask the experts. I can guarantee, you have disc brakes on all 4 wheels. Any one with any brake experience at all, can tell by your picture that you have disc brakes. With disc brakes, there is a brake hose going to the caliper. With rear drum brakes, there is a steel line going to the wheel cylinder.

Richard
95 Bounder

I can see the disk in the picture. If you go to any Napa store, ask for 1991 GMC rear motorhome disk brake pads, they will have the correct parts. I can also see the disk brake calipers, it is the large thing that will hold the disk brake pads.

Your pictures are set up for somewhat private viewing, "All rights reserved" and therefor can not be downloaded. Try changing your settings, so that "Everyone can view" and you will be able to share the posts. But also make sure that you are only posting pictures like these, that you don't care who in the world is looking at them.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Use Photobucket and you can post directly to here using the clicky just to the right of the envelope above.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta go with the disc brake vote.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
My 95 Bounder with Chevy chassis had four wheel disc brakes
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
userdan wrote:
Is there anything easy i can do to determine which without pulling the tires off?

Yes, goto the Yahoo/Bounder forum and ask the experts. I can guarantee, you have disc brakes on all 4 wheels. Any one with any brake experience at all, can tell by your picture that you have disc brakes. With disc brakes, there is a brake hose going to the caliper. With rear drum brakes, there is a steel line going to the wheel cylinder.

Richard
95 Bounder
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very easy to tell if you know what to look for. The Bounder has disks.

A drum break rear axle looks like this:

This example has air breaks and is made for a heavy DP coach but notice how much deeper the drum is from the wheel studs.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
looking from the wheel to the inside will tell you also

Community Alumni
Not applicable
userdan wrote:

Yeah, reach under and feel it. If you feel a disc then that's what it is. A drum is just a round outer hub.