cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dry Cleaning Fiberglass Roof

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
The June 2015 issue of MotorHome magazine has an interesting article Dry Cleaning a fiberglass roof with waterless product.
http://washwax.com/waterless-wash-products/

It sounds interesting. Has anyone tried this product and what is your opinion of it?
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer
12 REPLIES 12

falconman
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer to use soap and water but nowadays due to water restrictions or park rules that isn't always possible. I use the was/wax waterless cleaner and it does a great job even on the roof. It just takes more of it and more rags to wipe it and the dirt off. It seems to leave a nice finsh and removes a good deal of the oxidation. It's an expensive option with all the accessories but I'm pretty happy with the final results.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
doc brown wrote:
Each May I wash the fiberglass roof with soap and water then polish with an orbital using Mark V "banana wax" and then go back over with Maquires detailing wax. My rig is stored inside when not in use.

Careful, the water police will get you. (and me)
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Each May I wash the fiberglass roof with soap and water then polish with an orbital using Mark V "banana wax" and then go back over with Maquires detailing wax. My rig is stored inside when not in use.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Anyone who's been on one of these fiberglass roofs, AFTER it's not been cleaned for quite some time, will tell you how bad it is, especially if it's been stored outside or, has been on the road for a while. Since the surface is horizontal, it will collect dirt/dust/debris/leaves etc. Getting up there and just "fluffing" it off with something less than soap and water and a brush, just ain't gonna cut it.

To me, that goes along with the sides too. If that coach is DIRTY, as in you can SEE the dirt on it, I'm personally not going to grind it into the paint. It takes a good wetting to loosen the dirt etc. that's on the there and then, a soft brush/mop to scrub it off (with plenty of water) so there's no damage to the paint, then, a good rinse.

I don't mind evaluating, testing and using new products if, they fit the bill but, cleaning a dirty motor home with less than soap and water, just won't happen on mine. Sorry.
Scott

In California wetting anything is discouraged, especially in central Ca.:)
X-2, This could be the product of the future in drier States in the U.S.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
I think it's probably fine for light soil levels, but for what I just cleaned off the roof of mine this past weekend, it would never have even touched it. I spent about 2 hours on my hands and knees with a rag scrubbing every inch of the roof to get the tree mildew off of it. I didn't realize how bad it had become until I got up there to clean out the ceiling vents of leaf debris that had sucked into them. And honestly, I could spend ANOTHER 2 hours up there doing the same thing before it's ready to wax.....but I simply gave out and made a promise to get up there another day. I might invest in a lightweight young person that wants to make $50....... 🙂

10forty2,
I surely sympathize with you. I too spent several hours on the top of mine scraping left over "Silicone" that was treaded all over it from the morons who installed the King Dome and related cables, prior to our purchasing the coach. Then, when that was all done, I used my Dewalt 200 polisher with a wool pad and, 3M machine polish. When that was done, I used Kit car wax on it. The whole process took me about 3 days 'cause I would work, take a break, work, take two breaks, work, sleep (up there) and well, as you can see, I did not do it all at one time.

But, it sure turned out nice when it was all done. That was about 2-3 years ago and, it's do for another wax job. I'll get there. In the pictures below, you'll see the reflection of the roof rails of my RV car port while I'm finishing the job up.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's probably fine for light soil levels, but for what I just cleaned off the roof of mine this past weekend, it would never have even touched it. I spent about 2 hours on my hands and knees with a rag scrubbing every inch of the roof to get the tree mildew off of it. I didn't realize how bad it had become until I got up there to clean out the ceiling vents of leaf debris that had sucked into them. And honestly, I could spend ANOTHER 2 hours up there doing the same thing before it's ready to wax.....but I simply gave out and made a promise to get up there another day. I might invest in a lightweight young person that wants to make $50....... 🙂
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the stuff for a few years....works great....I have not used it on the roof though.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Anyone who's been on one of these fiberglass roofs, AFTER it's not been cleaned for quite some time, will tell you how bad it is, especially if it's been stored outside or, has been on the road for a while. Since the surface is horizontal, it will collect dirt/dust/debris/leaves etc. Getting up there and just "fluffing" it off with something less than soap and water and a brush, just ain't gonna cut it.

To me, that goes along with the sides too. If that coach is DIRTY, as in you can SEE the dirt on it, I'm personally not going to grind it into the paint. It takes a good wetting to loosen the dirt etc. that's on the there and then, a soft brush/mop to scrub it off (with plenty of water) so there's no damage to the paint, then, a good rinse.

I don't mind evaluating, testing and using new products if, they fit the bill but, cleaning a dirty motor home with less than soap and water, just won't happen on mine. Sorry.
Scott

Unless you're in an RV wash where it's reclaimed water.,
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:

Scott

Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
I just get up on my roof with a bucket of plain water and an old fashion string mop. After the mop up I dump the water on a near by tree or plant.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
I have used their washing and waxing product on both of my cars and the motorhome with outstanding results. It is easy to use and leaves all of my vehicles very shiny. I have not used the degreaser that the article recommends, but would expect the same high quality with that product.

The company is very customer friendly. As an example: I use their double sided mop to clean the motorhome. A short while ago I received an email from them that the mop heads did not meet their quality standards. They sent four new mop heads free of charge. I was impressed. Good luck with your project.