cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

E450 Front Axle Upgrade

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been intrigued at the possibility of increasing the capability of our front axle and brakes. A visit to a CAT scale showed that the axle was at 99% of its 4600 pound capacity. So... a number of phone calls ended in a 400 pound pallet of takeoff axle parts shipped to a nearby freight terminal. I used a shipping agent called Freight Management Logistics and they were wonderful. Great Carrier, On Time, Super Price.

Terminal loaded the pallet in my mini pickup with a forklift. I had to unpack the heavy duty cardboard carton fastened to the pallet every time I wanted to move the thing. I quickly found out that the Rotors are the heaviest of the parts. The axles came with the spindles attached which made them awkward but they weren't as heavy as rotors.

I didn't actually jack the RV up. I had it on our concrete driveway and put 2x4 blocks under the Front HWH leveling jacks. I then extended the HWH all the way, and slipped 6-ton jackstands under each frame rail. That put the tire treads about 3 inches off the driveway.

At first it was like a brake job. Remove Caliper, Disconnect Brake Hose (new axle calls for different ones). I capped the steel lines with wiper hose plugged with golf tees. Then remove Caliper Bracket (21mm socket and Breaker Bar). Then Rotor at the Bearings (1-1/8" socket). With all that off, I removed the Offset Caster/Camber bushings and the axle looked like this

Then I put a floor jack under the lower ball joint, removed the spring clip at the top of the spring and disconnected the lower shock absorber mounts. Lowered the jack and the spring just tipped out. There is NO NEED of a Spring Compressor and the possible associated hazards.
With the Spring out, I could easily remove the Shock with a Box Wrench on the Nut and Open End on the Shaft

My "parts kit" included a new pair of shocks. These use bigger bushings and bigger fasteners than the original ones. The OEM shock bushings (Ford calls them Insulators) are somehow forced into the frame and I had to break them to remove. In this pic, you can see how late model insulators center themselves in the frame hole. The upper Insulator is integral with Nut and Washer. Those did not come in the parts kit. I had to buy them at Ford along with the Radius Arm to Frame Bracket Bolts which are odd to find at 18mm diameter. More on that later. Shocks...

Each Axle is bolted to the Front Crossmember. Nut and Bolt for the Passenger Side Axle are easy to get at (21mm socket and 21mm wrench) but the nut for the Driver Side is recessed and sits right in front of the Oil Pan

A hose blocks access to the Nut but once moved, the 21mm box end will slip right on.

The new axle uses a different Radius Arm and the new arm requires new Brackets to the Frame. The biggest Bolt in the project goes through the Radius Arm and Axle. I used a 3/4" drive 1-3/16" socket and breaker bar on the nut. Sorry, I forget bolt head size. The torque spec is around 250.
Then I unbolted the Frame Brackets which have 3 bolts into captive nuts (15mm socket) and installed the new Brackets and Radius Arm. The new Arm uses a rubber bushing "Heim Joint" instead of the shaft and rubber bushing each side of the Bracket. This should help maintain alignment longer.
The new axle incorporates Splash Shields for the Brake Rotors

Here is the new axle in place. You can see where Ford added bosses for Sway Bar End links but left the hole for the old-style sway bar end bushings. The bracket for our Hellwig front Sway Bar shows here and illustrates that the early style bar will work with a late model axle. Naturally if you have a late model E-Series you'd want to order the appropriate bar kit. But if a used one was available, it would work. I worked alone on the entire project and it was easy to install the axles. I put the Spindle end on a Creeper and rolled it under. The Bolt end was easy to lift to the mounting points in the crossmember and I could roll the creeper around till the holes lined up.

I installed the Shocks to the Upper Mounts while Springs were out, then installed the Springs by pushing up with the Floor Jack. Then I attached the Lower Shock Mounts. They require a twisting action to get the Bushings over the Studs.
I torqued the Radius Arm to the Axle but left the Axle Bolts and Radius Arm to Frame Bracket Bolts loose.
Then the Rotors (New Left and Old Right) where you can easily see how much wider the braking surface is. Looking carefully, you can see how much thicker the new rotor is also.

And the Brake Assemblies (Old Left and New Right). The pistons and pads are larger and the pads are spaced farther to allow the thicker rotor.

The Brake Hoses are different so they went on new. Parts Kit didn't include the "banjo bolts" that hold the Hoses to the Calipers but the old ones fit the new calipers. Since the 2008+ chassis uses a different ABS setup, the connectors on the new ABS sensors were different and I re-used the old ones.
I installed AirLift 1000 Series Airbags into the Springs before putting the Springs back. This is the Right/Passenger side completed

I didn't add a compressor for the airbags and ran the lines into the Radiator area using these existing mounting screws

There is good access through the upper openings in the grille.
I left the Axle and Radius Arm bolts loose because I don't like locking them down when the suspension is topped out. Not enough room with the wheels on the ground so I lifted the suspension with my floor jack under the wheel lug flanges on the rotor hubs.
That was it. Hung the wheels, set it down and torqued the nuts. Installed Wheel Simulators.
STILL putting Tools away and wondering what I'll do with a big carton of serviceable used parts. Those include a recent brake job with rebuilt calipers, new hoses, new pads, bearings packed, rotors resurfaced.
Now to drive it...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB
7 REPLIES 7

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
UPDATES:

We've taken the coach on a few short trips and I liked how it felt but I couldn't say it tracked much better than before. So I tried two things:

1. Replicate Harvard's test for "truck alignment" based on degrees of Camber at hard over (about 25ยฐ) wheel cut. With his formula showing upper 4ยฐ left and just over 5ยฐ right, with fixed offset bushings, I doubt I can get much more Caster.

2. I had left Toe where my recently replaced Tie Rods had been set with the original axle. Decided it was time to re-check. My measurements indicated it was toe-in too far. My thought is that the old axle to crossmember bushings allowed it to toe-out, which I adjusted for. Then I didn't check it as part of the axle project. Just put the linkage onto the new parts with the same settings as with the old. I tried my shade tree/DIY toe adjustment, trying for just a little toe-in from neutral. Just took a test run yesterday. Just driving out of the neighborhood, the steering didn't have the "Too Light" feel that was there before. Before I even left the freeway on-ramp I could feel that the steering had a Center. Sure enough! For the first time in its history, the RV acted like it would prefer to go straight and not wander in another direction!
So... What is this Magic Toe Setting? Very imprecise but I tried to have the edge of the tread ribs 1/8" closer measured across the front than across the back. The hub centers are about 15" off the ground, but the tread can't be measured across the back more than about 11" off ground. So the measurements are from front and rear tread edges at a height of 11".
Turned out the steering wheel is about 10ยฐ to the right. Not sure I want to tinker with it right now. I know I'd want to twist the two adjust sleeves equal amounts in opposite directions but which way? Easy to end up backwards on stuff like this. Throughout the process I thought I was turning both sleeves equally, and the wheel had been centered when I started.

pauldub's comment - I'm satisfied that:

1. Adjustable Bushings listed as E350 WILL FIT E450.

2. Based on experiences here and conversation with John Henderson, I would not hesitate to install adjustable bushings. What I WOULD DO is be sure there was no grease or dirt on the surfaces of knuckle and bushing, use Loctite on the Pinch Bolt, and Torque Pinch Bolt to Specs, which I believe I read to be around 55-ft-lb. That's a lot for a fastener that size but I'd do it since I have permission... Maybe put some Loctite on the mounting surfaces, haven't thought that one through yet.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
One of the adjustable camber/caster bushings liked to re-calibrate itself on my E-450. I drilled and pinned it prior to my current trip and all seems good so far. My bushings say they aren't to be used on vehicles built on the stripped chassis.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a Fixed Offset Sleeve. The new axle also has Fixed Offset Sleeves. On both axles, the Left and Right Sleeves are different. Can furnish numbers if you like. Or if I didn't lose them...

When I called manufacturer help desks, and when I called truck alignment shops, they did not recommend adjustable sleeves. I know you and several others are using them without issues, but they claim the bushings can jar loose in heavier vehicles. And specifically mention RVs. One shop said "If they have them, we replace them."

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
I notice in your first picture the upper ball joint mounting sleeve was removed from the pinch bolt collar. Was it a fixed or adjustable sleeve? And as a follow up, if fixed, did it look like the hole was centered? I am still curious as to what is stock from mfg.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
TEST RUN!

Drove about 20 miles out and back. No wind today but truck disturbance seemed to be a little less. Tracking seemed better but again no crosswind today. The ride of the front axle seemed improved, whether it was the airbags or shocks who knows. And, oddly, quieter. Maybe the Radius Arm Bushing setup offers more isolation from the frame.

Braking was very smooth and strong. The ABS was showing a warning light till I drove a few hundred yards with a couple stops. Then the PCM decided everything was really OK I guess.

I hoped the AirLift 1000 Series bags would provide a little height increase but if they did it's not enough to measure. That was at 40-PSI and max is 50.

The Tie Rod Ends and Drag Link were replaced fairly recently, so I didn't replace them on this project. That should have left Toe where it was before, and I believe it did because the steering wheel is still centered. The new axle came with offset bushings which I left in place. Haven't decided if/when/where I might have alignment checked/caster increased. Another trip or two first.

FYI, I did not use a Tie Rod Separator tool. The pickle-fork type would damage the boot seals, and the local auto parts didn't have the screw type in their loaner crib. Instead I removed the nut and turned it upside down, running down till the bottom of the nut matched the end of the stud and smacked it with a hammer. To whacks broke each side loose.

Bryan, THANKS!!! Every tip you gave me was spot on and very encouraging in this big project. It's a trip but if we get your way hopefully we can visit. And if we do there's dinner in the offing.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use flickR and it should be called buggR. What a pain. I uploaded the pix as 800x600. flicR indicated 500x350, OK but not what I asked for. But when I linked the photos I came up with 75x75! I had to a "grab the HTML" edit and remove most of the information. No idea what I was really doing, but I can say I stripped away some code that caused the pix to not display.
Remaining mystery: I had more pix but no idea where they went. I wanted you to see the Old vs New Radius Arms, for example.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Great write up but is there any chance you could make the pics bigger?
looking forward to hearing aobut how it drives!

Scott