cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E450 Front Suspension

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody had any experience with this product? I am looking to enhance front steering / wander behavior on my Winnebago Minnie 29b.

Thanks

http://supersprings.com/installation_sheets/INS_SSF-106-40.pdf
10 REPLIES 10

gwwing2
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question about the sumo springs. I put them on. easy install and made a difference in reduction of front end bounce. Have them in my other vehicles as well. Also did the weight, alignment and made a visit to Hendersons Inline for more tweaking. I do most my driving on twisty backroads.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Too little +caster can manifest itself as loose steering (and wander) at highway speeds. See first j-d post for details.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Least expensive fix, and one that won't get you dirty, is to spend $10 at a truck scale and weigh the coach. With a rear queen bedroom including a slide, and another slide just forward of the axle, I doubt you have 4600 pounds on the front axle. You can look at Michelin's Chart and figure front tire pressure using half the scale weight for the front axle, Be sure to use the "Single" values.
Michelin would like us to get weights for all four corners, and that's why the numbers are presented for a Single tire or a Pair of Dual tires, but not the Axle Weight, which would be double those numbers. Still, Axle weights, Front and Rear, will get you on the way. I doubt your front axle will call for more than 55-PSI.
Tow your S10 to the truck scale. You'll get a report with weights for:
STEER - RV Front Axle
DRIVE - RV Rear Axle
TRAILER - the whole S10
80-PSI in the rear tires may well be right. With a 160" wheelbase, the 29B is going to be tail-heavy with two slides back there.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. The one think I have not done it weight the coach. It's a 2003. The one thing I have done is heed the advice of other 29B owners. Load heavy stuff in between the axles, (long rear over hange and rear slide on this coach). Fresh Water tank is in between axles, and many recommend traveling with this full. As well. I have no uneven tire wire on the front at all, but maybe getting it in for an alignment would be a good thing.

I run the tires at the placard in the door and what other 29B owners do. 80 psi for the rears and 65 psi for the fronts. Rear air bags are set between 75 and 80 psi.

The coach has 36,000 miles on it, I have thoroughly checked over the front and rear suspension for worn and loose parts. All are good and tight.

Tires are new Coopers. Brakes are new, front wheel bearings packed. I also just installed new Monroe Gas Magnum RV shocks....No more pounding from the rear.

The behavior I am seeing is almost like j-d mentioned, the back gets an input up or down on own side and causes front to steer right and left. I have seen other have put Coil-rites in the front end with very good results. This looked like an alternative to the coil-rites which I am also considering.

On other thing to note. I do flat tow a 2001 4 door 4x4 S-10 blazer behind it. This has no impact on the handling nor the ride. This is what leads me to believe that an increase in front spring rate will help with what I am seeing.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
To answer the OP question, I'd say Probably Yes. Some of us have added airbags to the front springs and they help. Some have installed stiffer front springs and report those springs seem to help. So as a logical extension, Yes, these should help.
But first: Weigh it and adjust the tire pressure! Remember, 65-PSI in front tires matches the full 4600-pound rating of the 2007 and earlier E350/450 chassis. For any scale weight less than that, less than 65!
Then next: Check Alignment. CASTER at least 4.5L, 5.0R with CAMBER close to Zero and TOE slightly (like 1/8" or so) in.
Ford's Swing Axle (trademarked Twin-I-Beam) is capable, durable, and very suited to heavy loads while offering better comfort than a single I-Beam axle that's the Very Best for heavy load. BUT BUT, "Chassis Input" will cause the Twin-I-Beam to respond with a steering reaction. An unwanted one. That's why the Ford chassis calms down so much when we install HD Sway Bars or add a Rear Track Bar.
So, back to OP... If the Sumo part reduces front roll, it'll help with tracking. That said, Sway Bars aren't much more money, and are a proven upgrade.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Make sure the front tires are not over inflated.

X2 the only time I've had handling/wandering issues on our 06 28b, is when the front tires have been over inflated to 80 psi (sidewall max) If they are set to the weight/inflation table, says about 65 psi there are no wandering issures.
We have the 29b since new and no suspension modificaions at all.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Make sure the front tires are not over inflated.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
How many miles are on your RV?

Yes checking the weight will help a LOT. If the front axle is overweight, it will be compressed to far, and the tires bow outward. If to light, it will bow inward, and also not provide enough traction while turning.

I guess you already had the front end inspected, and they did not find a loose steering arm, or anything that is bent? Loose bushings can also provide bad steering. These are things to check out before installing a steering damper, or something that might hide a problem with the steering.

Of course Winnebago was much better than most RV manufactures at having the weight equal on right and left side, but still it is worth checking out.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
have u done a 4 point weigh to see where u r on frt & back weights. that might help first.at least get a frt -back weight if no 4 point. on mine which is a 98 9400 r 4600 frt handles like a dream does have air bags rear, other wise all stock. looks that is only for bounce
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
have u done a 4 point weigh to see where u r on frt & back weights. that might help first.at least get a frt -back weight if no 4 point. on mine which is a 98 9400 r 4600 frt handles like a dream does have air bags rear, other wise all stock
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)