cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric steps won't shut off with switch when retracted!

murraymcleod
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2003 Itasca 27C Class A and the steps work fine, *except* when I use the switch to shut them off when they are retracted (as they are supposed to stay retracted after this). But they will still extend when the door is opened even after shut-off. When shutting them off after they are extended, they remain extended like they should when door is closed.

I need to get this fixed as I don't want them to extend when I park at my house as they hit the curb and get stuck half-way out. Anyone seen this problem, or can someone direct me to the thread where this might be discussed. I assume these are Kwikee steps (?). Thanks.
Murray McLeod
2003 Itasca Sunova 27

Toad: 2012 Subaru Outback
14 REPLIES 14

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
doubled
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Helpful video
After some significant troubleshooting today I have decided to change the magnetic switch itself. The magnet is just fine. With my setup, if you wave a magnet across the switch a couple of times quickly the steps will retract. If the door switch becomes an issue it could.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
I found the door magnets were at fault in my configuration
now it all happy-camping

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
As I understand it, there was some kind of safety group push to make sure the steps were always extended if the door was open, so that no-one would fall out with the steps staying retracted. The manufacturers re-designed their wiring, but I didn't think it was a basic feature as early as '03. Our '02 works the old way and it's a good thing if you're a regular ferry user. They pack the vehicles in very close together, side by side.

We went to Friday Harbor last summer with some overseas visitors (in the car). There was a big Class A a couple of vehicles in front of us. In the lane next to the MH's right side was an almost new Mercedes.

After the ferry left the dock, the MH occupants decided to get out and go to the passenger deck. The steps came out and gouged the Mercedes' drivers door and back door on the LH side. Those were expensive cups of coffee for the MH owners' insurance company, and a significant delay in disembarking for everyone behind them.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
murraymcleod wrote:
chuckftboy wrote:
That is how they are supposed to work. If you want them to stay up when the door is opened, Raise them, turn off the battery switch, then open the door and they won't operate.

Unfortunately, mine still extend when the door is opened after doing this....not sure why the off switch doesn't turn them off in this situation...

I agree that is how it is supposed to work. Try the switch in each positions before turning the power off. Mine will stay up in one of the two positions, I just don't remember which one. I also have Kwikee steps, and the steps extending is called the last man out feature. Nothing worse than taking that first step and finding no step. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
I solved problem with small magnet on door switch. Step controller never sees door open. Used painters tape for easy on/off.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
murraymcleod wrote:
chuckftboy wrote:
That is how they are supposed to work. If you want them to stay up when the door is opened, Raise them, turn off the battery switch, then open the door and they won't operate.

Unfortunately, mine still extend when the door is opened after doing this....not sure why the off switch doesn't turn them off in this situation...

This only works when they use the POWER wire to the steps and this wire is connected thru the battery disconnect. The steps per instructions should be wired direct to the battery so they will function with battery power off. But, a lot of OEM's will wire how they want to. A way to keep the steps up is easy. There is a large 14 gauge RED wire at the 4 wire connector to the steps AT the steps. Cut that wire and run each end up by the inside entry door with a toggle switch. When you want the steps to stay retracted, retract them and then turn that toggle OFF. With no power the steps will not operate. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Your Steps are operating exactly like they are supposed to. Read your directions again. They have a "last out" feature. That means regardless of what you do with the interior switch, the step module KNOWS the steps ARE retracted and will extend the next time the door pin/magnetic switch is activated. This is to prevent YOU from falling out of the RV if the steps do not extend when the door is opened. There are NO old and new style controllers that will stop this function. This Last Out has been there for at least 20 years. Doug

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Not trying to hijack the thread, but to add another problem. My steps are retracting on occasion for no reason at all. Just started doing this. I have inspected wiring under steps. Will check out the switch wiring next and then begin serious isolation if that does not show an issue. Had some water that may have gotten to switch. Guess that is todays project.
H/R Endeavor 2008

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kwikee has two different controllers.. I am not sure when the new controller came out but it may be yours is a Transistion unit, (New controller, old manual)

The old one I am not sure but the impression I got is that the switch was a POWER switch (in fact I know it was called power) and locked the steps in whatever position they were (IN/OUT or part way)

The new one it is called an OVERIDE and operates excatly as you cite, Steps will follow door if switch is OFF, stay out if switch is ON.

I added a toggle that Spoofs the door swtich, with this switch in the NORMAL position the steps work normally

When I activate this switch the door is closed, far as the steps know.

Difference #2 between the controllers (There are 3 major differences)

One of them the door switch follows the door (Closed = Closed) the other it Mirrors the door (Closed = Open) So I do not recall if the switch I added was in series with the door switch or in parallel. Easy to fix it.

The third difference The OLD controller (POWER SWITCH) was a retangular box

You can see this box with the steps extended if you look up under the motor home (Steps retracted they cover it).

The new one really has 4 sides but one side is very long so it looks like a right triangle at first glance. (Proper name is Trapizoid if I recall correctly, One long "Bottom: side, a right angle, to an end, then another right angle to a short "Top" side, then a long side at an a pair of angles other than 90% (Still add up to 180 though) to finish the box.

Sort
Of like====
These three lines
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

murraymcleod
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy wrote:

Murray McLeod
2003 Itasca Sunova 27

murraymcleod
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks...but the manual implies they should shut off regardless of the position (and it references the exact situation I'm experiencing where you wouldn't want them to extend to hit a curb, etc). Maybe the manual is wrong!?
Murray McLeod
2003 Itasca Sunova 27

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
On our 06 Winnie that is how they operate. Turning the step switch off, only keeps them out when door is closed. The steps automatically extend when the door is opened, to ensure that you have a step under your feet, whether or not the door switch is on or off.
The steps are connected to chassis battery, so that the steps will automatically retract when the ignition is turned on.
To keep the steps from extending when the door is opened, you would have to somehow disconnect the power to the steps.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows