cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Engine noise

bplotnick1234
Explorer
Explorer
What are people using to help quiet down the engine noise on the front engine gas motorhomes? Do any under coating help? It is so loud at times while driving I can not hear myself think. Any ideas are appreciated.
21 REPLIES 21

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
93mastercraft wrote:
JimM68 wrote:
Then I fixed it for good. Traded for a DP.

Yup, that will do it.

Get a Pelazzo.....:B:B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:

Yup, that will do it.

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
The poor man's fix : Ear plugs, and turn your radio up! I'm just kidding! You need to insulate your dog house as op's have suggested!

Explorer
Explorer
The best results come from using 2 different layers.

I put this on the bottom of the doghouse first and then covered it with this.

They made an amazing difference.

If I was doing it again, I would use this first instead of what I used (it wasn't available when I did mine). The stuff isn't cheap, but it will be money very well spent-----------and if you can afford the gas for the MH, you can afford making it quiet.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good suggestions above, they covered most everything.
Reducing that noise is mostly doing little bits, making every area as good as you can.

You didn't mention the age or engine in your motorhome?

Many are known to break manifold studs, or crack exhaust manifolds. Exhaust leaks = extra noise.
Some, particularly early Ford V10's, sometime blew out sparkplugs. A v10 running on 9 with an open hole would be very noisy.

Fan clutch... Your engine fan should have a good functional thermal clutch. You'll hear the fan when the clutch engages, which will be when you are working her hard and the temp rises a bit. If you hear the fan all the time, a new clutch will quiet things considerably.

And finally... the '99 V10 we used to have was horribly noisy. It also was extremely rpm happy, downshifting and reving high at the sight of a hill in the distance. I put in a tuner from Brazel's, and the difference was AMAZING! More power, better torque at low rpm, and no more downshifting. She'd hold in high gear much longer, and keep the rpms lower much of the time. This made a huge difference.

Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Dare I say Thorley Headers? My coach got quieter at cruise once I installed them. The trick is that they must be heavy gauge steel, otherwise they will be louder than manifolds. My engine noise is just below or equal to the wind noise. There is carpet and one layer of acoustical asphalt sheet over the fiberglass engine cover. Here is a short video of a half throttle acceleration and cruise. Once it gets up to speed, the engine noise is below the wind noise.
http://s213.photobucket.com/user/Daveinet/media/Engine/Accelerateandcruise2_zps1c7df742.mp4.html
IRV2

1950panman
Explorer
Explorer
wow...gas card...500.00..on the monthly give away

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
Very satisfied with this product. Used Weldwood HI-temp spray adhesive to hold it on.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
Also make sure the gasket between the cover and floor/firewall is good.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
read on this, works great, Amazon is usually the cheaper place. Have installed it on all three Rv that we have had, and very good for road noise also.

http://www.dynamat.com/

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I first bought my MH it was loud and hot on a hill climb. I added a 1/2 layer of insulation that I bought at HD or Lowes. It was inexpensive and worked well. I used Weldwood contact adhesive to bond the insulation to the factory insulation which was a bubble wrap material with foil on one side and about 1/4 thick. The new material was made from a jute felt and foil on the eng side. There was a huge reduction in noise and heat for about $20 of materials. Lead sheeting would be about the best material to use if cost was no object or you had a free or inexpensive source for it. We used to use a material called Acousticore where I worked which was a 1/2 in thick honey comb core with a fibrous material stuffed inside the cells of the core but found that .050 sheets of lead worked much better.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make sure that all openings through the firewall are sealed and then install some high temperature sound deadening material and adhere it to the underside of your dog house and to any place that you can on the firewall.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
To dampen out noise, you need mass. So anything that is heavy will help, such as asphalt. The second issue is to decouple the noise, as noise transfers through anything solid. That is why you use multiple layers with soft foam in between.
IRV2

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the doghouse and apply EZ Cool Insulation. It will keep the heat and noise inside the engine compartment and out of the cockpit.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€