cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Engine Trouble 2006 W-22 8.1

Painter3066
Explorer
Explorer
Left for Florida last night and about a hour into the trip engine started to backfire and hesitated while going up hills. Ran fine on flat road going back home but engine missed a lot. Coach is 10 years old and I never have changed spark plugs or wires. I have 43000 miles on it any thoughts?
22 REPLIES 22

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
When my fuel filter starts to get plugged, the engine will cough through the TBI unit when under heavy load. Not much is noticed on flat or mild climbs.
Doesn't take much water or debris in fuel to plug filter.
Not sure on later models, but is the fuel filter in the correct direction for flow?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
if check engine light is blinking you have a misfire if you know someone that has a scanner you can read code and go into data and see witch one it is

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are all guessing and I also would suspect the wires. Before I replaced anything I would start the engine with the dog house off at night and see if there are any sparks from the wires to ground. If so you know the wires are bad due to heat. When this happened to me I replaced them with 10.4 mm hi temp Taylor wires that are coming up to 9 years old. The std wires are 8 mm. Try this at night and report your findings, it won't cost you anything and it will help narrow down your problem. Do you see any engine codes when the backfiring occurs?

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
donfrump wrote:
Gale Hawkins wrote:
donfrump wrote:
Gale Hawkins wrote:
This happened twice with our 1992 454 TBI engine. First time it was the pick up coil under the distributer. Second time it was the fuel filter. Symptoms were identical both times. I do expect your much newer engine has the old style distributer.

The prior owner had the #7 or #8 spark wire fail.

there is no distributer and OP said fuel filter is new but that aside plugged fuel filter wont cause a engine misfire(backfire) underload or miss driving along flat road.But a bad injecter will misfire under load and miss like a bad plug or plug wire

Don you are correct about the injector but wrong about the fuel filter based on my personal experience.

ok no problem.I believe you no problem BUT I worked as a mechanic for 40 years and never saw a pluged FI filter that caused a engine misfire under load and a steady miss while on the flat ground
my experience with plugged FI filter would be dieing out on hard up hill throttle or surging if not forcing it(load) too hard like a bad fuel pump also does
anythings possible just something I don't remember ever happening on the ones I have worked on

Don I have only seen this fuel filter thing happen on our MH. If I remember correctly the 8.1 can generate more doghouse heat build up so the plug wires are a logical point to check. I

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Had the exact same problem on my 2004 8.1. You need new Plugs and wires.

While you are at it have the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor cleaned and your air filter changed. Otherwise you will start to get P0151 and P0155 check engine light codes.

Do not change the O2 sensors if you get those codes until you have cleaned the MAF. I've been through that procedure...believe me.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
Gale Hawkins wrote:
donfrump wrote:
Gale Hawkins wrote:
This happened twice with our 1992 454 TBI engine. First time it was the pick up coil under the distributer. Second time it was the fuel filter. Symptoms were identical both times. I do expect your much newer engine has the old style distributer.

there is no distributer and OP said fuel filter is new but that aside plugged fuel filter wont cause a engine misfire(backfire) underload or miss driving along flat road.But a bad injecter will misfire under load and miss like a bad plug or plug wire

Don you are correct about the injector but wrong about the fuel filter based on my personal experience.

ok no problem.I believe you no problem BUT I worked as a mechanic for 40 years and never saw a pluged FI filter that caused a engine misfire under load and a steady miss while on the flat ground
my experience with plugged FI filter would be dieing out on hard up hill throttle or surging if not forcing it(load) too hard like a bad fuel pump also does
anythings possible just something I don't remember ever happening on the ones I have worked on

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
donfrump wrote:
Gale Hawkins wrote:

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
Gale Hawkins wrote:

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't waste your money on the stock wires. Check Summit Racing for a set of high performance Taylor Wires. Install and forget about them for a long time. I went thru several stock plug wires before doing this and never had a problem after that. 04 8.1.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

PF_PM
Explorer
Explorer
If it was wet on the road it may have been the intake system causing hesitation. If it was dry I'd say it was the plug wires. There was a replacement kit allowing for wires that were more heat tolerant.
2005 Newmar 34' Kountry Star, 8.1L W22, Blue Ox 10K, Honda Pilot, Bijon Shitzu (Sassy) dash dog. Nine Provinces, Two Territories, 47 States, Northern Mexico... so far..

Southwind98
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
and it could also be water that was ingested in to the air intake and has soaked the air cleaner paper element. Did you drive in the rain?

Painter3066 wrote:
Left for Florida last night and about a hour into the trip engine started to backfire and hesitated while going up hills. Ran fine on flat road going back home but engine missed a lot.

The symptoms you described were exactly like the ones my RV experience on a trip in heavy rain and it turned out as rgatijnet1 stated. Water had went in air tuba, which faced forward, causing the air filter to collapse, starving engine of air. Replaced air filter and solution to prevent in future was to cut air tuba, spin backwards, and clamp. There are several post on the site about this problem, just something to check and cross off your diagnostic list. Of course if you haven't driven in rain recently, disregard. Good luck
Will & Michelle
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1990 Jeep Wrangler

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I have found that the high tension lead on my toads have a metal screw that rusts, not allowing for spark to get to the plug.
I have used Dremel wire brush head to clean them. I then use de-oxidation compound to keep they clean.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
Painter3066 wrote:
Thanks for the replies will take it in next week for plugs and wires. The fuel filter was recently changed.

rockauto.com plug wire kit with heat shields $43.00
like I also mentioned a bad injecter will cause the misfire on hills and engine miss on the flat runs!!!