cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every time we change oil in our class C they charge us extra

nadsab
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if there is a logical reason why they would charge us extra...

Our Four Winds Five Thousand 23.5' long class C is built on a Chevy Express van body, with the 3500 chassis. Engine is a 6 liter 8 cylinder. I was thinking that this RV uses the same amount of motor oil that a plain old Chevy van uses - with the same size engine.

So I often call the lube shop for a price - I ask them "how much for an oil change for a chevy express van 6 liter 8 cyl 3500 chassis?"

They quote me a price and when I arrive they always charge me ten or 20 bucks extra. I ask them why the higher price and they say it's a motorhome and motorhomes require more oil.

Is this true? I think it is a bunch of baloney and they are ripping us off and think just because we have a motorhome we can afford to pay more. Is there a logical reason why they should be charging more just because we have a motorhome on a van chassis?
2003 Four Winds Five Thousand, 21RB, 23.5', Chevy Express 3500 chassis
41 REPLIES 41

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
noe-place wrote:
Dakzuki wrote:
noe-place wrote:
I have had oil changes done in several states in the 9 yrs we've had our C. One place in Oklahoma charged $60. for 6qts oil and filter while in S. Dakota I paid $148. for the same job. I think it's according to the type of place one uses for the change. Some have their prices posted and that's where I'd try to go like others said but ask if there's an additional charge for your MH. I change mine every 3K miles if I can find a place to do it myself. Doing it myself only costs about $50.

You might want to look into having your oil analyzed. You may well be overdoing it at 3000 miles and pouring money down the sump.

I grew up with OLD cars that practically demanded oil changes every 3K and long before the day of "oil analysis" which I've researched with friends on Corvette Forum and many of them find it to be useless with which I concur. I fully realize there are those who promote their oils to be so superior one need not change till 5K or higher but it does no harm to change the oil before some scientists' presumed deadline. :B

Oil testing is so useless fleet vehicle owners use it.

I used to work on cars as my job and many got the oil change, plugs, points, and a valve adjustment every 3K (air cooled VWs). Modern vehicles with fuel injection don't contaminate their oil nearly as much so it can be stretched out more. What does your manual say for change intervals? I bet it doesn't say every 3K.

....and yes it is doing harm....to your wallet if you are changing oil too frequently. :B
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
TJDave wrote:
I had the same experience with our Class C.
I have always change my own oil. My Ford E450 is the easiest rig I have ever owned to change oil on. One day, I didn't feel like messing with it before a upcoming trip. I asked the J-Lube drones what it would be to change the oil. They quoted me $100. They said just because it is a Motorhome. I asked them what they were going to service on the fridge and the stove? Otherwise, it's just a van. Blank looks and confusion led to pointing at the neat little pricing chart on the wall. I changed it myself that day, and have never taken it anywhere since.

Those people are afraid of changing oil on a motorhome because of their ignorance. They have no idea of why the charge is higher. Some lame arsse whom sits in an office and has never even picked up a wrench came up with this BS pricing!

TJDave
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same experience with our Class C.
I have always change my own oil. My Ford E450 is the easiest rig I have ever owned to change oil on. One day, I didn't feel like messing with it before a upcoming trip. I asked the J-Lube drones what it would be to change the oil. They quoted me $100. They said just because it is a Motorhome. I asked them what they were going to service on the fridge and the stove? Otherwise, it's just a van. Blank looks and confusion led to pointing at the neat little pricing chart on the wall. I changed it myself that day, and have never taken it anywhere since.
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32sa
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Maximus-3, Blue Ox, RVi3, Cooltech

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:
noe-place wrote:
I have had oil changes done in several states in the 9 yrs we've had our C. One place in Oklahoma charged $60. for 6qts oil and filter while in S. Dakota I paid $148. for the same job. I think it's according to the type of place one uses for the change. Some have their prices posted and that's where I'd try to go like others said but ask if there's an additional charge for your MH. I change mine every 3K miles if I can find a place to do it myself. Doing it myself only costs about $50.

You might want to look into having your oil analyzed. You may well be overdoing it at 3000 miles and pouring money down the sump.

I grew up with OLD cars that practically demanded oil changes every 3K and long before the day of "oil analysis" which I've researched with friends on Corvette Forum and many of them find it to be useless with which I concur. I fully realize there are those who promote their oils to be so superior one need not change till 5K or higher but it does no harm to change the oil before some scientists' presumed deadline. :B

alazero
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that you a re based in Michigan. If so this might help.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/deq-ess-recycling-rmmd-usedoil_199399_7.pdf

It is;

Used Oil Brokers/Processo
rs/Collectors Listed in
the Michigan Recycle
Materials Market Directory

They will take your used oil free of charge.

Zero

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to be alot of people whom will not change oil & filter themselves at any cost.

mrnoyb
Explorer
Explorer
Fortunately, I have a Ford Commercial Truck/RV service center nearby. I've done business with them in the past with personal vehicles and I've always been pleased with their service. They've already provided a quote & it's exactly what the dealer was charging. Since I have a Ford warranty I'd rather have them performing the routine maintenance on the chassis.

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
They do the same thing to my Expedition. Oil change price is only for 5 quarts. The 5.4 takes 7 quarts. I took it to a lube place once. The upcharge for those "extra" 2 quarts was staggering. Then because I was near 30,000 they tried to sell me the whole multi hundred dollar service, even the transmission service which my owners manual explicity states is NOT required at 30000. They lowered my air pressure which I then had to raise back up because I was towing that weekend. Then they tried to tell me what a bad car owner I was because I refused their recmmendations. First and last time I go to a lube place.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
noe-place wrote:

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
dennislanier wrote:
I should have added in my above post that I would NOT trust any auto parts store to give me that information. Not that they would purposely tell you something wrong, but they are not technicians and oftentimes have zero experience on such things. Many of our local area parts stores hire young kids at minimum wage and all they can do is look it up on some computer system.
It doesn't take much of a "technician" to change engine oil, but it seems that now days you do have to check behind them.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
DaHose wrote:
California requires people who sell oil to have a recycling tank. I buy from Oreilly's here in town and take my old oil back to them. I was lucky enough to get hold of a 5 gallon commercial vegetable oil bucket. I can change oil on at least two cars and the motorhome before I have to dump it. Makes life easier. I keep it by the gate and grab it/dump when I go get fresh oil.

Jose

You can get a container at Amazon for cheap. Link
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
California requires people who sell oil to have a recycling tank. I buy from Oreilly's here in town and take my old oil back to them. I was lucky enough to get hold of a 5 gallon commercial vegetable oil bucket. I can change oil on at least two cars and the motorhome before I have to dump it. Makes life easier. I keep it by the gate and grab it/dump when I go get fresh oil.

Jose

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
mpfireman wrote:
Used motor oil is considered hazardous waste. that means proper disposal is required. Where I purchase our oil, they will take back your used oil, free of charge, but different states have vastly different regulations regarding the disposal of oil, batteries, antifreeze, tires, even your old oil filter's. So next time you purchase your oil, ask about disposal options. Our quick service oil shops charge a fee for oil and filter disposal.
Just don't dump it on the ground, or down the drain.

Anyone that is charging for motor oil disposal is double dipping and ripping people off IMO. Used motor oil is a commodity that is sold for money by those that collect it.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad