cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exhaust repair

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
OK, now we continued on and at 3000 miles into our 7500 mile vacation we experienced an exhaust pipe failure - we sounded like a truck...without a muffler. We were in Bakersfield,CA, so we contacted CAT locally - Quinn showed up in a google search. When Quinn looked at the problem they determined that they couldn't fix the problem, they referred us to Freightliner,located several blocks away. Bakersfield Truck Center (Freightliner) couldn't get us in for a week and a half...so they referred us to their next door neighbor - "Tech Services". Owner Bob Kopp listened to my description and without hesitation took us in and his shop started work on our motorhome right away. After a day and a half they had fabricated the bracket they needed to attach the new section of exhaust pipe. Well, 4500 miles later - I can say the fix worked as designed. If anyone is ever in the Bakersfield, CA area and need repairs to diesel or gas motorhome, we highly recommend Tech Services 661-399-2678, tell Bob, Ron sent you. Enjoy
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake
7 REPLIES 7

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basically a thorough inspection might have found the problem before it occurred. Possibly not, but usually problems can be found by a simple inspection and probing of the exhaust system with a screw driver.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Wow! Two posts with what I would call serious problems. You either are having seriously bad luck, or a lack of maintenance is finally catching up with you. Which is it? Hope your pockets aremreally deep, because these two issues must have set you back a lot of cash.

For my use and information please tell me what and how maintenance is performed on an exhaust pipe? I am serious not sarcastic.

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
I have to laugh at some of the comments. New Member???I signed up in 2009; camping and cross sountry trips since 1987??? Three of them since 2004, when nwe retired. As to the lack of maintenance; I'd love to share my mtce records anytime. All systems function now as when we bought it new...We maintain and repair as required. How to you prevent rust on a tailpipe attached to the diesel engine at the turbo????This coach now has 35,000 well used miles on it. We hope to put more on ....It took 1/2 day to unravel the components to get to the pipe and a day for the wrong part to get flown in by Freightliner; then they fabricated what was needed. As to the expense...when you're over a barrel and a vendor knows it AND they treat you fairly - that deserves NOTICE...
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a new member, but 32 post with two compliments doesn't sound like an issue to me nor would I start questioning all maintenance activities. C'mon guys, give him a break.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
New Member ,two posts with glowing reports of great service.....hmmm!
Moderator??
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A day and a half to hang a tail pipe?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow! Two posts with what I would call serious problems. You either are having seriously bad luck, or a lack of maintenance is finally catching up with you. Which is it? Hope your pockets aremreally deep, because these two issues must have set you back a lot of cash.