cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with RV Direct??

Ride_Everything
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone - we're ready to pull the trigger on a Sunseeker 3170DS bunkhouse model. For the same unit, RV Direct is about $8,500 cheaper than our local dealer (after hours of haggling). I'd like to give my business to local businesses for many reasons, but unfortunately, working with my local dealer hasn't been pleasant, and quite honestly, they're treating me like a moron on all fronts, thus, I must do what I need to do...

With that said, the salesman said RV Direct sells units that are different than what a dealer might sell. Different chassis, etc. This claim makes no sense and quite frankly, sounds ridiculous, but yet, I'd still like to ask the experts on this forum.

Are the units the same units sold on dealer's lots? Anything to watch out for or be careful of when dealing with RV Direct? I’ve had pretty lengthy conversations with RV Direct over the last two days and I like what I hear so far. They’re just straight to the point and seem to shovel no B.S.

I will have to fly and drive to get the rig, but $8,500 is worth the stretch, in my opinion. Any insight or experience would be great.

Thanks!!
17 REPLIES 17

rtriple777
Explorer
Explorer
I had my dealer match rv directs wholesale price and they also gave me almost 8000 more for my trade!!!
Rick and Dawn-2011 jayco eagle 351rlts

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Direct RV aka Albany RV,is BAD BAD BAD BAD!!!!
We purchased a used A a little over a year ago. It took another 5 months to get them to fulfill all defects that were discovered during our PDI
We ended up having to send letters/complaints to the following:
Albany County Attorney General:300 complaints since 2nd generation running the company
NY Upstate BBB. (35 active complaints were listed at time of ours)
In addition our attorney sent a couple of letters(that did the trick).
They were very resistant to honoring the commitments in contract.
I had been in touch with the previous owner of the A we bought and discovered that they bought a brand new FR DP with 4 slides; they were still fighting with Albany RV for upgrades they paid for 10 months after the sale, and were trying to get warranty work to be taken care of.
In their situation, living out of area; they contacted forest river and were hoping to have the warranty handle by a different dealer, the upgrades were still pending and after enlightening the previous owner, they were contacting the NYS AG. Evidently there is/was over 300 formal complaints filed against Albany RV since the children took over the parents business
Good prices maybe, but the service sucks, the service adviser; Derek was great at lip service, but didn't know how to return a call. Claimed first 6 weeks that the sales department never forwarded the work order for replacement parts.

If your thinking Albany RV aka Direct RV, keep in my the prices are competitive,but don't think about follow up, as even the one yard tech mentioned that instead of resolving a issue with repair; that Albany RV will see if the buyer gets disgusted and gives up by postponements, fictitious back-orders and lack of communications.

Remember "forewarned is forearmed"

Additional details are available, Send me a PM
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

paullac
Explorer
Explorer
Ride Everything wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replies, very helpful. Well, we started the process today so wish us luck. Just learned today that we'll be getting a 2015 model for the same quoted price, and also learned the coach we were trying to buy from our local dealer was actually a 2013 model (found this out because of the color differences). For 2014, this rig now has 7,500lb of towing and more fresh water holding capacity, which were two big benefits for us...So far so good.

I'll update this thread as we move along in case anyone is thinking about doing the same thing. Little scary, but RV Direct seems to have their act together so we shall see...

I'll toss in a comment on this post too… Congrats first of all! The hitch went from 5000 lbs to 7500 lbs during the '14 model run. However, the fresh water capacity stayed the same (I am 99.9% certain) in '13 vs current. We have a '13 3100. The brochure then lists fresh water capacity at 44 gallons plus another 6 gallons in the water heater for 50 gallons total. Now the brochure just says 50 gallons with water heater. The total is the same at 50 gallons.
All previous rigs below are sold - waiting until the kids graduate to the buy the next one!
'13 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 Class C
'04 Fleetwood Sedona Pop Up / Reese Mini 350 / Prodigy / BAL
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up

paullac
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
There is only one caveat about RV Direct, and that is finding nearby places that will do warranty work. If something breaks, good luck with that.

Not my experience at all on my RV Direct unit. There are two local dealers that have done warranty work on my unit knowing full well that they didn't sell it. I do realize not everyone has that same experience. But FR will help you out find a local shop (perhaps not an RV dealer - just a local repair shop) if need be.

To the OP: Regarding this point… Realize you don't need to go to a Sunseeker dealer to get warranty work done. A dealer who sells any FR line can do it. One of the local shops I use sells FR trailers, fifth wheels, etc but no motorized units. However, they still have done warranty work on my motorhome.
All previous rigs below are sold - waiting until the kids graduate to the buy the next one!
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up

paullac
Explorer
Explorer
RvBill3 wrote:
Purchased our 2012 Sunseeker 2300 from RvDirect. At least $8000 less than dealer's best quote. Got a brand new unit made just for us. We were able to tweak a couple of specs to include options we wanted that were not on the dealer's unit or quote. The MH is what Forest River makes and supplies on all orders. No "special" unit for RvDirect. That is a bunch of bs.

Check the Sunseeker forum on forestriverforums.com for more about RvDirect. There is a factory rep who monitors the forum who will also confirm for you that the unit is the same as all they make.

Our entire experience with RvDirect was outstanding. One difference from dealer is the way you pay. Deal is completed and paid for when unit is ready to ship from factory. That way, they don't invest any of their money (and pass on savings to you). We overnighted payment to them and they overnighted back to us the title information. We went and got license plates and 5 days later picked it up in DesMoines (a 300 mile drive for us). The dealer prep was excellent and PDI of several hours was complete. We found nothing than needed fixing and drove it home.

We will buy from them again.

x 2!!!!! I could have written the same exact thing.

We have a '13 3100 from RV Direct & wouldn't hesitate to go back for our next unit.

The money thing is a little weird. We bought a stock unit. We overnighted payment to them upon agreeing to the deal (we had not seen the unit). They overnighted back paperwork to get title, registration, & plates. Got our plates the next morning. Drove from Cincinnati to Buffalo that afternoon. Picked it up the next day. Basically a done deal in approx 3 days.

Here's a recommendation (but I tend to be paranoid about things): Start your insurance the day you send the money. It's a just in case thing. For example, if a tornado goes through the RV Direct lot the day after you send the money. You do, in fact, own it once the money is out of your hands.

We had an extremely thorough PDI.

I had not heard that one before - about RV Direct getting different units than the local dealer - but agree that's a line of BS & would make me not trust anything else that local dealer said.

Also agree about ForestRiverForums & specifically the Forester / Sunseeker sub forums. I'm active there (as is RVBill3). It's an outstanding group of people & resource for questions. There is a factory rep on there who jumps in on certain questions or when the community doesn't know something.

I see you already took the plunge so good luck.

To the OP: Coincidentally, I was in LA for work this week (I see you're from Orange Co). I just recommended RV Direct to someone else out there this week too.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up

mda
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased from RV Direct in 2007. Nothing but positive to say about them. The long established business is run by two brothers who took over from their father. The business is based in Albany, NY, where they operate Albany RV. They are honest, straight businessmen. No BS. They operate several dealerships around the country where you can pick up your RV.

Ride_Everything
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies, very helpful. Well, we started the process today so wish us luck. Just learned today that we'll be getting a 2015 model for the same quoted price, and also learned the coach we were trying to buy from our local dealer was actually a 2013 model (found this out because of the color differences). For 2014, this rig now has 7,500lb of towing and more fresh water holding capacity, which were two big benefits for us...So far so good.

I'll update this thread as we move along in case anyone is thinking about doing the same thing. Little scary, but RV Direct seems to have their act together so we shall see...

campmansd
Explorer
Explorer
I have no experience with RV Direct but have not heard anything bad about them. I bought a 2013 sunseeker 3170 DS bunkhouse model. I think you have made a good choice. I bought mine from outlet recreation in Fargo ND. They were very helpful and very reasonable on the price. The friendliness and helpfulness of the sales and service department means a lot to me. I would feel very fine with purchasing from the one you fell good with. Sounds like RV Direct is a good deal to me. Ford takes care of the truck and the RV can be serviced locally for me. The money you save will come in handy when buying extra's for the RV. Take your time getting the extra's all ready things I thought I would need I now know I can do with out like hydraulic stabilizers- I use blocks of wood works just fine. I am looking to pick up a kar kaddy to tow my car with. Well good luck and know that I love my Sunseeker.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Any warranty on the chassis will be handled by Ford, while the 'rv' portion will be handled by RV dealer performing the work. To me the most important is the Ford warranty.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

colestat
Explorer
Explorer
We used RV Direct to buy our Sunseeker this time last year. I highly recommend them. We have done warranty service work at our local RV shop. Garick RV in Oakland NJ - highly recommend them also.
2014 Forest River Sunseeker 3170DS

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There is only one caveat about RV Direct, and that is finding nearby places that will do warranty work. If something breaks, good luck with that.

luvztheoutdoor1
Explorer
Explorer
I used the price quoted by RVDirect to my local dealer and they matched it. Took about $30,000 off the sticker price.
Linda
Scout, 10 year old Husky/Shepherd
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

RvBill3
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased our 2012 Sunseeker 2300 from RvDirect. At least $8000 less than dealer's best quote. Got a brand new unit made just for us. We were able to tweak a couple of specs to include options we wanted that were not on the dealer's unit or quote. The MH is what Forest River makes and supplies on all orders. No "special" unit for RvDirect. That is a bunch of bs.

Check the Sunseeker forum on forestriverforums.com for more about RvDirect. There is a factory rep who monitors the forum who will also confirm for you that the unit is the same as all they make.

Our entire experience with RvDirect was outstanding. One difference from dealer is the way you pay. Deal is completed and paid for when unit is ready to ship from factory. That way, they don't invest any of their money (and pass on savings to you). We overnighted payment to them and they overnighted back to us the title information. We went and got license plates and 5 days later picked it up in DesMoines (a 300 mile drive for us). The dealer prep was excellent and PDI of several hours was complete. We found nothing than needed fixing and drove it home.

We will buy from them again.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had any dealings with RV Direct. I am very curious about the 'different' units they sell that other dealers do not sell.
That comment would raise a red flag for me.
Please let us know if you get any additional information on that statement from the RV Direct sales people.