cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ext Service Plans

Majikal-Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Thursday I head 190 north from the Keys to trade in our 34' 5th wheel that we had for almost two years 2nd trip down and we really never did like it.Came from years of Class A's. So we will take a hit on it from the dealer and take our 10 year old Itasca home. Now do I pay the $4700.00 for 4 yrs 40K miles or put the dough in the bank? I know what I did what would you do. (Ford V-10 26k miles 34D)

Thanks
Joe
Jersey Joe and Marianne with Dale the cat. #3
7 REPLIES 7

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, I have never been a fan of extended warranty's. I have read many articles in Motorhome Magazine in their help section of people fighting with their extended warranty company to pay the bill.

We were quoted $8,900 for a bumper to bumper warranty from Monaco. I took the brochure home and read it from cover to cover and I was shocked at what it DID NOT cover. We passed on the offer. Good thing we did as Monaco went bankrupt two years later and our 5yr. warranty would have been lost along with our hard-earned money.

We really have not had anything major in our almost 7 yrs. of ownership and 65,000 miles. We certainly have not spent anywhere near what the extended warranty would have cost on the few things that have needed repair (even if our repairs would be covered).

The few things that come to mind:
-new hydraulic pump for the levelers and brace added.
-3 coolant boxes (hopefully the new one is the final).
-slide computer board repair.
-large slide-out adjustment
-Aqua-Hot board replacement caused by a cracked kitchen drain hose leaking on the board.

If I remember correctly, the above was about $3,000-$3,500. If any of it was even 'coverable', I'm ahead of the game.

It is a gamble and we chose not to roll the dice.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
What's going to break on a gasser, with 26,000 miles on it, that will eat up more than $4600?
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally I would bank it. Too much mice type on those contracts. I'm more concerned with being 100 miles east of no where when that day comes then worrying about if its a cover item.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I would never buy an extended warranty. Not worth the paper they are written on IMHO. Consumeer Reports says not to buy them.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
For the best predicted long range outcome financially; no ext. warranties on any product. I would bank that money with no reservations at all. It's the seller of warranties that come out ahead, not the buyer(in the long run; statistically) If you want "peace of mind" that's fine as long as you know the probability is that you will pay more
Jayco-noslide

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I personally like the comfort of having an extended service warranty. I am currently having my HWH jacks repaired/replaced and my out of pocket will be $100. Sure, I paid up front for the policy, but I could afford it then, and who knows about tomorrow.
Try calling Wholesalewarraties.net for a quote. They offer an assortment of plans and prices.
JMHO

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
Was this your MoHo before, taking back what you had before???
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".