cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended warranties - any suggestions?

Dunteachi
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have just bought our first RV, Tiffin Allegro Breeze 2014. Now we trying to decide which extended warranties to purchase. There seems to be so much to choose from. Would appreciate any input from those of you who have gone through this, especially what you might deem " necessary".

Graham and Lu
22 REPLIES 22

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
We Bought a Winnebago new and waited for two years when most of the warranties would be gone and then we bought one. It gave me two years to look around and we went with Whole sale Warranties two . That was last March and we have a 7 year plan. We have not used it but it is the peace of mind of knowing that you will not have to worry about a 2,000 dollar repair. I am sure I am not the only one who would say that it would be a hard ship to come up with this kind of money. Plus a lot of us are all ready making a payment . So do what makes you feel safe and sound. It is not for every body and for cars or any things else I do not get one but with these coaches with all that could go wrong I think it is a good deal. Some people like to gamble and that is fine but I do not and every one is going to have to make there own mind on which way to go

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
IMO a waste of money. You have separate warranties on the chassis, fridge, a/c, etc.,.etc.. The warranties cost a buncha' bucks and are really restrictive. They say things like (humor, now) spark plug # 6 & 7 are covered, but not 3 & 4. If I had, say bought the extended warranty when I bought the coach (12 years, now)....so far the only major coach problem was the fridge self-destruct. A new one cost me $1400 or so. STILL came ahead.
Maybe I'm lucky?
So...to ask me, I'd say to put the money in your gas tank and enjoy your travels

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Why would you buy a warranty on a brand new coach? You have at least a year on the coach and probably quite a few on the engine and drivetrain and components. I wouldn't consider an extended warranty until the ones in place expire. Otherwise to me it's a waste of money.
You can always buy one 3 years down the road if you still want an extended warranty. You shouldn't need it with a new coach.

Brian

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Since the MH is new, you already have a warranty on the house and chassis. I would take whatever money you are going to spend on the xtended warranty and put it an account and not touch it. Then every year I would add about 10 - 20% of what it would have cost you for the warranty to the account, more if you'd like. This way when and if you need to make repairs after the warranty you have the money.

I've got a 2000 NRV SeaView and an account with ~5k in it for repairs. I've done tires(Twice) and a refer(once). I've also done some misc. repairs along the way and still have money set aside for repairs. This way I'm not going to sweat out any problems while in the MH. I'll do this again for the next one when it comes.

And just so you know, tires were done around 6 - 7yrs and the refer was done last year. Those have been the MAJOR items so for.

-paul

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Just a couple of experiences here. I bought a power train warranty extension on a new GM van from GM and it paid for itself right at the end when there was a whine in the rear end that sounded like it was the transmission and the dealer charged $1000 to find and fix it.

When buying a used class C motorhome the sales manager gave me a real spiel on a coach warranty. I declined and the next day at pick up she said it was her mistake - it should have cost twice as much but she would honour her offer anyway if I took it that day. I went out to the shop where the guys were prepping the MH, one of them a former student of mine. I mentioned the warranty and they told me it was a scam - void the moment I drove the MH on a gravel road.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
I let my EW expire and have not renewed, as we didn't come close to recouping our costs. We bought in because this was our first DP and we wanted the peace of mind until we "got to know" our coach. I'm also considering looking at an EW for major drivetrain components, just to cover such a catastrophic failure as xctraveler worries about. I do need to investigate to see what the premium cost would be for such a plan. If it's reasonable, I may jump at it.

xctraveler wrote:
I carry Good Sam when Our coach gets more than a year old and less than 7 years old. I must admit I have wasted the premium dollars spent as I've not needed them for items they cover. All of my repairs have been seals that aged or froze and like wear related items that no warranty will cover.

I carry it for peace of mind should an engine or transmission go due to a covered failure.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
xctraveler wrote:
I carry Good Sam when Our coach gets more than a year old and less than 7 years old. I must admit I have wasted the premium dollars spent as I've not needed them for items they cover. All of my repairs have been seals that aged or froze and like wear related items that no warranty will cover.

I carry it for peace of mind should an engine or transmission go due to a covered failure.

Our reason also..the two big ticket items, piece of mind. Except after the deductible they have also helped pay for two heat pumps, cooling unit on a 4 door refrigerator, control unit on power awning and one electric leveling jack, since the factory warranties have expired.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
I would never buy an extebded warranty on any vehicle until your factory warranty expires. I sell equipment for a living and the extended warranties run concurrent with your factory warranty.........meaning, you have 2 warranties running at the same time. I wouldn't do it.
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Why would you buy a warranty on a brand new coach? You have at least a year on the coach and probably quite a few on the engine and drivetrain and components. I wouldn't consider an extended warranty until the ones in place expire. Otherwise to me it's a waste of money.

x2. Tiffin is a great company to work with BTW. My friend has his Pheaton at their factory right now. They are doing all recall updates and repairing his landing gear. He only has to pay for the repairs to the landing gear
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest contacting Wholesalewarranties.net. They are agents for an assortment of policies at different price and service levels and when I had a claim they acted as my agent, following the claim process through completion. Definitely compare prices and covered services. Also, warranties can be a big money maker for a sales dealership, and even though you are told you can cancel or transfer the warranty, it often requires the dealership to make the refund. If the dealer is no longer in business you can be SOL. I have always maintained an extended warranty of my RV, it gives me peace of mind.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer

Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Our fridge, fresh water pump and roof AC unit in our 2004 rig, bought new, died after 10 years, our awning fabric needed replacement at about the same time. Our $1700 extended warranty coverage had expired with no claims. If repairs/replacements had occurred within extended warranty coverage period, it might have covered some or all of the $3000 in repairs and replacements. Your fridge, AC,and awning (etc) may last longer or shorter depending on use and luck.

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
I would wait until the other warranties are going to run out. This gives you time to research companies and if you want to do it. A dealer should give you a big discount if you are doing it now.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Too many warranty companies go under after a few years only to appear under a new name. Unless it is offered by the coach company, there name on the policy, forget about it. Put that money aside in case you need it.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver