cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending Slides

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
I want to Extend my Dining room slide to take some pictures getting ready to replace the carpet. I know what the procedure is for extending my slides, will it hurt anything if I extend the one slide temporary it is setting on hard pavement with the jacks extended and the air dumped, I don't want to start it up just to build the air up. Roy
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi
12 REPLIES 12

Daytonaman
Explorer
Explorer
This leveling hubub with air bag Monaco equipment is always confusing. My approach is to make sure the chassis is dead flat and level b4 extending any slides. That way all openings are square, so nothing binds. It is true that as the slides extend, the coach might lean, but I just manually re-level. My plan is not to operate the slides at any time in or out in an un-level condition.
I would dump and re-level only if the site were level. If I need to get the unit low, then I would only dump until the highest bag was bottomed out.

uncle_t
Explorer
Explorer
I follow Monaco's recommendation to extend,dump air, level. I don't know about other chassis makes but the roadmaster frame twists and tweaks considerably when leveled on an unlevel surface. the reveal on the storage cab doors is noticeably off. I assume Monaco engineers felt it better not to put out a slide if the hole it was in ain't square anymore.
2020 Integra 36U
can am spyder or can am commander
BE PREPARED- NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
ROYBUCK,
Do you have an air compressor where you store your coach? You could air up the system with the air compressor using the fitting in front that the tow truck would use.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
It's a Monaco product...Monaco says the air bags must be full before extending the slides....that said, it's up to you whether you want to follow those instructions...it's your coach...Mine, I fill before extending cuz I figure some engineer knows more than I do or they wouldn't waste the time putting it in the manual.....just sayin....Dennis

I agree with you Dennis. But, I had the coach un-level when I pulled it out of my storage garage to have it washed. The coach was leaning towards the driver's side when I put out the slides (airbags full). The living room pivoting slide got tweaked when i tried to pull it back in after the wash. I took it to Redlands Performance and RV repair (these guys are awesome), the tech told me to level first then extend or retract the slides.

It goes against what Monaco recommends but these guys make all kinds of repairs all the time. When I saw the slide start to mess up, I stopped it immediately and left it sticking out about 4 inches. I drove 80 miles to Redlands for them to fix it.

All it needed was an adjustment and the tech said that it was a good idea that I stopped it when I did or I could have damaged the fiberglass. He also told me as part of regular maintenance, I should have it adjusted once a year.

That is the only slide that pivots, all the others move straight out.

So, against Monaco's rule, I will level first then extend the slides.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure that your slide will fall out, the engine will blow next time you start it, and all tires will go flat.
TVs and microwave will also be shot, and left rear brake light will fail.

🙂 🙂 🙂

You'll be fine...especially since this is a one-time deal?...but out of curiosity, how long does it take you to air up?

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer 😞
3 Maine Coon cats

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
While I'd never ever question the Manufacturers guidelines, after all they do know their product best, they built it...

Monaco's guidelines with their Roadmaster chassis RV's, in all their lines including Holiday Rambler, were always: park. Extend. Dump. Level.

This is one of those instances where the guidelines on the OP's particular coach are best answered by people familiar with that make.

that said, I do routinely extend and retract the slides on my 08 Monaco DP with the jacks extended (and of course the air dumped.)

It doesn't seem to make a difference. The slides open and close normally. Nothing "catches" or acts like it doesn't line up. Where we are now, stored for the winter on the jacks, I'll run the slides out when I'm out there, and run em back in when I leave.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I'd say to make sure you are fairly level first.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
It's a Monaco product...Monaco says the air bags must be full before extending the slides....that said, it's up to you whether you want to follow those instructions...it's your coach...Mine, I fill before extending cuz I figure some engineer knows more than I do or they wouldn't waste the time putting it in the manual.....just sayin....Dennis

Why would anyone follow the manuf. guidelines. You know they don't have a clue what they are talking about. :S

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I never have the engine running and air up when I extend slides... But then I do not have air bags.

The instructions are: "Level with jacks, then slide the slides" on my rig.

Some companies say level last.. I disagree with that advice.

Go right ahead and do as you plan.. I anticipate no problem save those normally associated with replacing carpeting.. A job that is all but guaranteed to expand your vocabulary in teh )@(#$)(@&#*)!@ Division.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
They have them extended on dealers lots. With no jacks down.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
You can extend 1,2,3 or 4 slides without incident. Good luck with your carpet.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.