cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally insurance I can live with.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Over the past 5-6 years I have tweaked my National Interstate Insurance almost every year trying to keep the price down. Ten years ago I started out with replacement value and a $5K diminishing deductible for around $1200. Price did not change much for four years but about then I went to stated value to keep the price the same. Each year I'd reduce the value to the low side of what it would cost to replace it.
This year I reduced the value to $100K but they want $1700 for less than half time use.:M I seriously considered going to liability only and take my chances but National will not write such a policy.
Foremost Insurance will write it and it's only $178 and full coverage would be $1400 but I'd be back at $5K diminishing deductible. Unlike National, Foremost will let me switch between full coverage and just liability. With full coverage only half the year it's going to cost $800/year. I can live with that BUT you may not want to.
If you have a mortgage you cannot drop the full coverage and going with just liability is not for everyone, but on all my other vehicles I go to liability only after 6-7 years. I realize for half the year I could be looking at a major hit if something happens, but I was close to going to all year. The other half of the year it's not moving and usually stored inside with the NoCold turned off. Wish me luck.:B
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...
8 REPLIES 8

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
We've been insured by Foremost now for 19 years with full coverage and $250 deductible. We've received excellent no hassle claim service and no premium increase until this year went from $839 to $922.

Highly recommend them. Parent company is Farmer's Insurance Co.

Best of luck & Safe travels:)
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Try BlueSky RV insurance.

My BSI for 2015 increased 33%. No faults, accidents or other attention getting incidents.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When it comes to Insurance I reccall the title of an old song.. The key line from said song is: My Mamma Told Me... To Do the SHOP AROUND (Song title is in caps).

Even with a very very nice employeer discount program (Beats, The General, progressive, E-surance, Geico (And I am a retired Government Employee) Nationwide/Allied does a better job on the RV.

When I got the towed I did the full Shop Around.

A year later I switched to Liberty mutual on the benefits for life (Retired State Worker) plan.

IF you are, a worker, or retired worker, Check with Human Resources/office of retirement services to see if your employer is as nice as mine is in this aspect.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Talk to Gieco. Ours is cheap, $1600/6 months for 3 cars plus the RV, including one young male driver....

Note this is not fulltimer insurance, which would be more like a homeowners policy...
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
AARP
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

I have never carried full coverage on my cars and trucks. 50+ years like that and since, so far, I have not had an accident that was my fault I figure I have saved enough to buy a Rolls Royce.....I also never finance thus avoid interest. But my DP has full coverage because its cheap and a windshield is $1000+. I have Progressive and it less than $1000 a year.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Try BlueSky RV insurance.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Give this insurance company a try for a quote. Auto-Owners Insurance

I have full coverage, with $1000 deductible, agreed value coverage, plus $5000 for personal belongings, and my yearly rate is $350 for the RV. The total yearly bill for the RV, plus my HHR toad, plus our Chrysler hemi is around $1100 total.
This company only writes policies in certain states but GA and FL are included.