cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First cross country road trip - HELP

cr3ativegirl
Explorer
Explorer
My parents literally just bought a new $100k 25' RV and are ready to hop in and drive cross country from SC to BC, Canada. (We will be there and they want to join us). My dad went to pick it up and already had an accident driving it off the parking lot and needed the whole side redone and a new door put on ($7k). I think they went and did some practice lessons, and they think they are ready to go. I've tried to explain to them that people spend months and months mapping out and planning these types of trips. They have two yorkies and plan on bringing them (that's a whole different story!)....Very nervous for the outcome.
31 REPLIES 31

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
At some point you have to let your parents grow up and take responsibility for their own actions.

They will grow into the lifestyle or they will give it up.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Check with CN customs before taking dogs to BC. No firearms either.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Encourage them to stay in touch, by whatever tools work for your family: daily phone calls, blogs, social media (my family has settled on Facebook after cycling through some earlier systems like MySpace). But also to manage their privacy, choosing who they keep informed.

At 68 and widowed, my daughters expect me to check in regularly (FB and texting for me, while my late wife was a talker on the phone). If I don't, I start seeing "have you heard from Dad yet today?" traffic going between them. Doesn't matter much whether I am at home, on the road, or halfway around the world.

Travel doesn't really add that much risk, most of the bad things happen to us old folks at home. That's where we are most of the time. That's also where we tend to neglect communication, as it is easier to remember to check in, put up a photograph, when you are seeing new places you want to tell about. We don't always remember when we are at home and what we are doing is not particularly interesting.

I used to plan road trips in detail, my wife was more comfortable about going somewhere if I gave here an itinerary to follow. But usually after a couple days I'd start deviating from the plan, just winging it toward a destination. Now I just start out winging it, unless I have a very specific time budget or particular places I want to be.

I know people in their late 80s and early 90s still out there cross country road tripping. They go at the pace they find comfortable, and they do just fine. And they use social media to stay in touch with kids, grandkids, great grandkids. Good tool for staying in touch, easing peoples' minds.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
By the time they get out of South Carolina they will be pros. Accidents can happen to even drivers with many years of experience. It's hard being a child and worrying about parents but think what they went through worrying about you - and probably still do! ๐Ÿ™‚ They'll be just fine.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Get them a Good Sam Travel Guide in addition to the suggestion already made. My wife and I are 70 and 67 respectively and we have never done any serious planning for our trips. We pick our destination and worry about the small stuff as we go. We've ridden 77K miles on a motorcycle this way and about 120K in motorhomes. The only real planning we do is to determine which state or national parks we want to see along the way. We're on our way to Alaska and when someone asks where in Alaska, I tell them as much as we can see in about 4 months because we have not made any plans. As someone here on the forum has in their signature "It's not the destination, it's the journey". They'll be fine.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Thursday we are leaving town in our RV. We are going north and east.

Plan to explore several areas but have no idea where we will stay nor when.

We don't know how long we will be gone, it could be anywhere from a week to four weeks.

However that's how we do it 95% of the time.

Scratching up the RV on the first time out is very good....makes you cautious.

Be glad your parents are able to go and do such a crazy thing. It means they are are happy.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
They will be fine. They will learn and adapt. They will have frustrations, as they learn, and build great memories. Good for them.

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing you can do for them is make sure they have some type of Emergency Road Service (Coach Net, Good Sam etc), some type of smart phone or internet connection that will allow them to find campsites and fuel easily and let them go. BTW not many people plan for months ahead of time. My wife and I are taking off tomorrow for two weeks and the only plan we have is to go north till I find cooler weather.

If your father is even an average driver he should master the MH pretty easiy, he is driving a larger vehicle so his attention to what is going on around him will have to ramp up but it should become second nature.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
The first time you drive it is when you are most nervous and inexperienced. If you are going to get into an accident this is when it is likely to happen.
They will be fine. A lof of people do it.
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
cr3ativegirl wrote:
I've tried to explain to them that people spend months and months mapping out and planning these types of trips.......snip....... Very nervous for the outcome.

You've already done everything you can about the first part quoted. And maybe venting your anxiety by posting here will help with the second part.

Other than that, I suggest you try to relax and remind yourself that no matter how carefully we raise them, the Older Generation will go merrily on its own way sooner or later. ๐Ÿ˜‰
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Take a deep breath, and pass along to them a few things that might help. Posting here was a good first step on your part.

I have driven our 27 foot RV across the US twice, and have driven across the US five times in our car and those trips are the basis for my responses. First, driving the RV will take practice. Skill will improve with experience. The thing to remember is to take it easy and try to stay on Interstates until they have a good feel for the RV. These roads are built to accommodate the big rigs, so there should be no problem with narrow lanes or low bridges. Try to avoid larger cities until he feels comfortable with traffic. Take the loop highways around the cities when possible. Remind your folks that they should not expect to travel as far or as fast as in a car. Personally, I get more fatigued driving the RV than a car, so I try to limit my driving to 6-7 hours per day on long trips. Talk to them about rear end swing, which is how the very back of the RV will swing out to the opposite side when turning. The pivot point is the rear axle. This is very important when parking and especially at gas pumps. If time permits, ask them to take the RV to a local campground a couple of times before the long trip to practice backing up into sites, hooking up, leveling, dumping the tanks, and learning how to use the appliances and generator.

With respect to the trip, many RVers just pick up and go with little planning. They go where the road leads them. Your folks will be driving through civilization through the US, where just about any kind of help is available. Rvers mostly are a friendly group and will offer to help and answer questions.

To be safe, ask them to plot on a US map their intended route. Do they expect to stop along the way to sight-see or are they driving directly? Ask them to call every night at a specific time; a time after they have arrived and hooked-up. It will help re-assure you, and they get the chance to tell you about their adventures for the day.

By the way, if they are crossing the border into Canada with the RV, you or they might want to read the posts on the RVing in Canada and Alaska forum here. Scroll down on the main menu and you will find it. Important reading for them will include the posts on what you can take and cannot take across the border.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I usually hang out on the Class C forum.

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We all make mistakes. I suspect he learned a huge lesson about what it means to swing wide. No harm, no foul, just a hit to the pocket book. He will do better just like you did when you first started driving. As to planning, there is no need to plan anything and certainly not months in advance. I just need to know I can get from point A to point B by a particular date (like meeting you in BC on a specific date). How I get there is not important and plans often change, sometimes daily.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
RV Driving

You might feel better if he learns a little more from these folks before they take off. A LOT cheaper than $7K for the next one. ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer
There are many people who simply get in their coaches, pick a direction and go. They are none the worse for wear. I'm looking forward to my retirement so that I'm able to do the same thing.

Even very experienced RVers have accidents. Except me. Never had one. Not a single incident. HEY! Look!!! A squirrel!!!
---------
k.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Honda CR-V
2007 Black Lab/Pitt Bull mix named Harley

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
I understand you concerns.My dad at 68 rides a Harley Davidson Motorcycle approx. 6-8000 miles a year.Yes I'm concerned but he made it this far in life without my help .

Just do all you can to Aid in their endeavors and let them enjoy life.
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled