cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Oil change Miramar V10

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a little over 2000 miles on our new Miramar. I have a short 100 mile round trip scheduled next week but then next month have a 1000 mile round trip. I would like to get the oil changed before the long trip but I'm not sure I will have time to take the motorhome to the Ford dealer before the trip. I have watched a couple of videos of people changing oil in their class As and it doesn't look too bad. I always change the oil in my truck so I am thinking I will do the oil changes myself. Just curious how many people change their oil on their class A's? I usually always have the dealer do the first oil change on my cars just because the oil filter is always so tough to get off. I think they have gorillas in the plant put on the oil filters!

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
28 REPLIES 28

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heisenberg wrote:
Your V-10 needs 7 quarts of 5w-20 and a motorcraft fl 820 s filter. Read your manual, five quarts was mentioned and that will not be enough.

I did get the manual during my lunch break today. I knew it took 5w-20 as it is written on the oil cap. I am debating on whether to put Mobile-1 or dino oil in for this oil change. I have used Mobile-1 on my truck for over 100,000 miles and the oil is still clean after 3000 miles (unless I have towed alot). I usually change the oil every 5000 miles in my truck.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Your V-10 needs 7 quarts of 5w-20 and a motorcraft fl 820 s filter. Read your manual, five quarts was mentioned and that will not be enough.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
To make less of a mess with the filter first loosen it, not enough for it to start leaking oil. Then get a zip lock freezer bag put that over the filter and then screw it off The oil will stay in the freezer bag and not drip down onto the front axle. At the same time you do the first oil change get a drain valve with the nipple on it, use a clear plastic hose over the nipple for the next oil changes.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I use in those tight oil drain locations.

Gary

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bruce Brown wrote:
Considering you'd be looking at just over 3,100 miles on at the end of the trip, I'd just drive it and get it done when you get back.

I guess I am old school as I always try and do the first oil change on a new engine early. I usually change oil every 5000 miles after the first oil change.

Bruce_Brown
Considering you'd be looking at just over 3,100 miles on at the end of the trip, I'd just drive it and get it done when you get back.

Things aren't the same as they used to be. On most passenger cars today there is no longer a recommend change interval, they use an oil life monitor. Both my wife's Explorer and my F150 it's usually around 10,000 miles between changes. My Super Duty is around 7,500 miles - which makes sense as it works a lot harder.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Question...do the newer Fords need the motorcraft oil filter with the built in silicon valve like older Fords?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
stvdman wrote:
Only issue was the oil wants to drain onto the front I-beam/Suspension...just be ready for that.

This just drives me nuts.... so many vehicles I've worked on over the years have this exact problem. Is it too much to ask for the guy designing the oil pan to walk down the hall to the suspension department and figure out where his drain hole is going to land????

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
The hardest part is actually getting the oil back into the engine....at least for me anyway. The fill port is very inconvenient to get to with a container of oil. So, I made up a funnel with a tube that I can put into the fill port and put the oil back in after dumping it. It also requires me to stand on a ladder to pour the oil and get it to run in. When going under to drain the oil, make sure you have some way to divert the oil to a drain pan. As said earlier, the plug is directly over the solid front axle and will make a mess if you don't have some way to get it to run into the pan. I find that fully extending the stabilizers gives the extra room to get a drain pan directly under the plug, resting on top of the axle. It also gives much more room to work on your back on a creeper. Removing the filter is no big deal. You can get the wrench as recommended, or you can use a pair of channel locks. It doesn't matter if you bend the filter housing...you're just going to throw the old one away after you drain the oil out, right? And the new filter should only be about a half turn beyond hand tight to avoid blowing out the gasket.

You can do it!!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
For the oil filter, do all Ford V10s take the same filter? I know there is different V10s in different trucks/RVs.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
My husband does all of our oil changes on our V-10.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Easy job, lots of room under there. Read your manual for the proper oil and quantity. Some incorrect info in previous post I believe.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
I changed mine (2017 Miramar) with 1500 miles on it. In my driveway, it was pretty easy. Filter came off w/o much of a problem. Only issue was the oil wants to drain onto the front I-beam/Suspension...just be ready for that. I used a large drain pan to collect it all.

Went with a high quality synthetic and oil filter. should be good till next year with normal oil level checks along the way.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Changing the oil in a V-10 is like changing oil in anything else. On my Winnebago Vista right under the oil pan drain plug is the front end I-beam, so I use a small funnel to devert the oil into the drain pan. Go to any auto parts store and buy you the oil filter socket wrench that'll fit a Motorcraft 810-S filter. And you'll need the filter and 5 quarts of 5W/10 oil of your chose.