Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time buyers... Will be needing help deciding RV

BlackJeep22
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning,
My wife and I are seriously considering purchasing our first RV. We've been chasing our tails, going back and forth between class A and B+. The As seem too tall and wide, but have so much more room and seem to be better quality.
The B+s look to be easier to drive, but in a 32' length, look like they might drag with such a long overhang in the rear. We were ready to go with a Coachman Concord 300DS, but have decided to take a hard look at some 32'class As. Our price limit is $90,000 if we can.
We'll probably have to go with gas rather than diesel in this price range, since we'd like either NEW or slightly used with less than 20,000 miles.
Any model suggestions and/or dealers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. S&D
22 REPLIES 22

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Jeep,

Congrats on the new coach!

Travel Safe!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

BlackJeep22
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, Thanks to everyone for all your help. We bought a new 2016 Coachman Concord 300DS yesterday afternoon. Now the adventures begin. I'd post a picture, but don't see a way to attach an image.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend browsing at www.demartinirv.com there just outside of Sacramento they have been in business since the early 1970's. They sale RV's new and used on volume. They buy a lot of bank repo's and get a lot of trades. There website is very nice with lots of units for sale, and they encourage you to make offers if you don't like the price! Good Luck, Rooster

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
$90,000 for a slightly used class A you will have a large selection with that price range, new could be a issue if your going over 30 foot.

Fleetwood makes good products..

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
BlackJeep22 wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Im not sure the OP knows what a class B is. I have never seen a 32 ft B class.

This is what the OP was referring to:

***Link Removed***
That's a nice looking C. Sure it would drive nice and meet all his needs.

Bird Freak...If you notice in the detailed vehicle description in the above link... it states "This luxury Class B+ RV measures approximately 32 ft. 9 in."

In the Make & Model description it is referred to as a Class C. Again, I don't really care...I flipped a coin and called it a class B.
I have seen that often. Most B' are just vans and do not have the cab overhang. Nice looking rig!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

BlackJeep22
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:

***Link Removed***

Bird Freak...If you notice in the detailed vehicle description in the above link... it states "This luxury Class B+ RV measures approximately 32 ft. 9 in."

In the Make & Model description it is referred to as a Class C. Again, I don't really care...I flipped a coin and called it a class B.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:

http://www.mhsrv.com/2016-coachmen-concord-300ds-w-jacks-alum-wheels-fireplace-sat--new-class-c-tx-i...
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:

http://www.mhsrv.com/2016-coachmen-concord-300ds-w-jacks-alum-wheels-fireplace-sat--new-class-c-tx-i...
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

BlackJeep22
Explorer
Explorer
Hummm, I answered these questions earlier today, It looks like they didn't post. We've never owned an RV. So, this is very early research.

We are retired, late 50s/early 60s. No kids. Initially we plan to do short trips in the summer, 3-14 days. In the winter we plan on heading south for 30+ days at a time.

BlackJeep22
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Im not sure the OP knows what a class B is. I have never seen a 32 ft B class. I have owned 1 B class which I hated driving. 2 A class's and loved driving them. Now have 5er and keeping this one.

In my very preliminary research... I've seen this Coachman model advertised as BOTH a class C and a class B. I know that typically the Bs are just big vans. Perhaps the dealers who are selling this 300DS are confused as well. I've seen it BOTH ways. That's why I posted the make and model... I don't really care what it is.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Im not sure the OP knows what a class B is. I have never seen a 32 ft B class. I have owned 1 B class which I hated driving. 2 A class's and loved driving them. Now have 5er and keeping this one.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
BlackJeep22 wrote:
Good morning,
My wife and I are seriously considering purchasing our first RV. We've been chasing our tails, going back and forth between class A and B+. The As seem too tall and wide, but have so much more room and seem to be better quality.
The B+s look to be easier to drive, but in a 32' length, look like they might drag with such a long overhang in the rear. We were ready to go with a Coachman Concord 300DS, but have decided to take a hard look at some 32'class As. Our price limit is $90,000 if we can.
We'll probably have to go with gas rather than diesel in this price range, since we'd like either NEW or slightly used with less than 20,000 miles.
Any model suggestions and/or dealers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. S&D

You don't say how you intend to use it. You gave the forum very little information to work with - are you a family of six? working couple, weekend trips no more than 200 miles from home or planning to go fulltime for 5 years? These are just a few possibilities. Without more information, everyone will answer from their own point of view not from your point of view.

don't forget to consider cargo carrying capacity. Good luck in your search.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
A's are very easy to drive. We both do. We went from a 5th wheel to a A with no problem.

You are correct in observing for a long overhang. They can pose problems and will give you a swaying ride on interstates. If you test drive some of each you'll note the difference.

Good luck in your search.

For price suggestions and floorplans, take a look at this consignment place. They carry all models - A's, B's, C's Just click on the ones you want to look at.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Over the past 10 years I've gone from a 26' Class C to a 33' Class A with no slide to a 36' Class A with 2 slides. My feelings at this point are that:
1. A slide-out adds about twice as much comfort as you expect
2. The ample basement storage in a Class A is indispensable

Also, driving a Class A with that giant windshield seems a little odd at first, but you get accustomed to it pretty quickly.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft