cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time Rv'er

rhinestone_redn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello...I am a first time rv'er...looking for information regarding purchasing my first rv...I am looking for something of quality...not too long...probably not longer than 27 feet...something upscale and very nice...any suggestions are greatly appreciated...thank you...

thank you for your responses...and yes, I should be been more clear and detailed...I will be driving long distances at times...I am single and will be going it alone with my dogs...I have been to an rv show and have driven both diesel and gas...in the Winnebago's I drove I didn't see that much difference in the sense of the power of the engine...I considered a Leisure Van Unity or even other Leisure Van Models and also Road Treks...I've decided against Road Trek...I would like to find something gently used but may have to buy new to get something really nice...I want to purchase something complete..comfort is important to me...I am willing to spend up to $130,000.I will be doing some camping at an rv site...but will be staying in hotels and also parking the rv and properties I own.....also parking at and staying in the rv at horse shows I attend...any additional input is appreciated....thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few models out there, class A's on a mercedes sprinter chassis, 14000 lbs and around 27 feet.
These rigs are typically overpriced and pretty light for a class A, not a lot ofcarrying capacity. They are also very well built and get great gas mileage.

We went to a lot of shows when we were shopping. Shows lean heavily toward towables, you have to go to many many shows to see a reasonable selection on A's and C's.

Most camping world's have an annual show, lots to see at those.

The bigger dealers will often have quite a selection, but generally access is only with a salesman, they don't leave em open and let you roam alone.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

rhinestone_redn
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Let me be the first to welcome you to RV.Net! Going to a Class A or Class B? I would go with a Class A if you care about having more room! If your a light traveler and don't need much room, I would go with a Class B! JMHO, Good Luck, Rooster

thank you, Rooster...

rhinestone_redn
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
You may get better answers if you post your question the the Class B forum, no big deal but you are looking at Class B rigs and asking questions from people who are driving Class A.

I am interested in all classes...thank you for your response...

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Let me be the first to welcome you to RV.Net! Going to a Class A or Class B? I would go with a Class A if you care about having more room! If your a light traveler and don't need much room, I would go with a Class B! JMHO, Good Luck, Rooster

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may get better answers if you post your question the the Class B forum, no big deal but you are looking at Class B rigs and asking questions from people who are driving Class A.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Rhinestone Redneck,

We too are new to Rving and took a big leap of faith buying a 45 ft motorhome as our first rv. We will be starting fulltiming in the spring of 2014. We had lots of exposure and eye opening experiences attending RV shows. We spent a few years thinking about and researching what we think will work best for us. Time will tell if we made the correct decision for size, we think we have. We have owned our coach for three weeks now and have spent 3 weekend in it and hate leaving it. In spite of the size of this coach we are still wondering how we will get all the stuff in it that we want to bring with us.

Read a lot on forums like this and talk to as many people who are doing what you want to do as you can. We have met so many great people at rv shows who love talking about their lifestyle.

Good luck and have fun. Go about this with an attitude of low stress, fun and exploration. We are accepting that things will go wrong and we will have issues and are looking at everything as a journey and learning experience.

Stuart & Leslie
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Bob & Ann wrote:
I think that going to a big RV show is a great idea. You can see all of your options fast. Just one word of caution is don't move too fast because you are caught up in the show. Take your time and research everything that a salesman may tell you. Because they say it it is not a fact. Remember it is your money

X2 on the RV show and the salesmen. However, every once in awhile a salesman can be helpful. So, figure out what kind of RVer you want to be before going to the show. If you plan on boondocking most of the time, they won't steer you towards the units with residential refrigerators and washer/dryer combos on board.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
I think that going to a big RV show is a great idea. You can see all of your options fast. Just one word of caution is don't move too fast because you are caught up in the show. Take your time and research everything that a salesman may tell you. Because they say it it is not a fact. Remember it is your money
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
You mention that you are a first time rv'er. If that is the case, you might want to find out if you like the life style or not. If it turns out that you don't like rv camping you are already in for a lot of bucks in a class A motorhome; not nearly so much in a travel trailer or fifth wheel. Perhaps you should rent an rv and make sure you like it before jumping in with both feet money wise. Go to an rv show and look at all types of rv's so you are comfortable with your decision.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
This is really way to general a question for me, but I would suggest that you just go out and start looking at them. This is a good time to purchase as folks sell more in the fall than in winter. Are you interested in new or used?
Do you need to sleep 2 or 10, Are you married? What do you plan to use it for, I mean if your going boondocking or resort'ing would make a difference. Do you plan to travel far and wide and hence need gas economy or just local within your state. Are you going to full time it or occasional trips.
You posted in Class A so I'm assuming that you have decided on that and not a travel trailer, 5th Wheel or Class C B