cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing water damage on the old Dodge (pics)

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I got started on my summer project the last couple days. I found this thing on Craig's list for $100 and drove it home. It's a 78 Dodge Monaco 23' with a 440. Here's what it looked like when I brought it home.

Ok, time to dive in!

Oh man, I can't believe the huge bag of rusty screws I have already! It's actually not as rotten as I was thinking it was going to be. Just in the corners, where the screws need to be. Still so much to remove....
Malcolm
813 REPLIES 813

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Spectramac wrote:
I KNOW! It really kills me to leave you guys hanging so bad. :B
If that doesn't kick me in the butt for next week, I don't know what will?

For what it's worth....it's been 1-year and a few days since you started this whole thing.....with those first few pictures of the RV...and then tearing it apart......OVER A YEAR!!!!:S
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I KNOW! It really kills me to leave you guys hanging so bad. :B

97ford97lance made us reservations over in Moses Lake this weekend, so I had to bust out the pickup/camper again. If that doesn't kick me in the butt for next week, I don't know what will?
Malcolm

CISCO8325
Explorer
Explorer
spectramax, you have a captive audiance. If you don't complete this you will have a mob at your front door. hee hee. You got us all on pins and needles on how this project will turn out. We all waiting for the finish product ,so all of us can say aaaaaaah its nice ,great job ,beautiful..your choice mob,or aaah..hehehe LOL

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I'll admit we've been having some much nicer weather. Now the problem is trying to stay home over going to the river with the boat. I've been adding some sheeting to the roof in the evenings when the temps cool down. It's like pulling teeth though, because the used plywood is full of staples that don't come out very easy, but the price is right.

Malcolm

CHV_FRK
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah.... get off you butt so we can sit on ours and read about how much you're getting done!
Dana and Natalie

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500HD High Country DRW CC LB 4x4
-60 Aux Tank/Toolbox, Line-X, Full Tint, AirSafe 25K Hitch

2018 Jayco Seismic 4113, 45'7", 17,800lbs w/o the Toys.

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Spectramac wrote:
Talking to you guys was good luck. I actually got to punch in on a job yesterday, so I hope things are going to pick back up.

This is what we have been trying to tell you.....keep us posted on the progress, and you will remain lucky!!:B

Glad that you were able to pick up some extra work, and as mentioned, we hope it continues....after all, without the funds, the projects come to a stand still, and we can't have that!!!

All the best...
The Pets

kraazy3
Explorer
Explorer
There should not be any need for the ice dam as long as there is no heat in the building. The ice will build up only if there is heat to melt the snow on the roof. Then when the melted snow runs down to the edge where there is no heat it freezes making an ice dam and then your roof will leak. I am looking forward to getting back to the motorhome. First you need to work so you have the funds to continue.
kraazy

lzasitko
Explorer
Explorer
Well I hope you pick up more work but every little bit helps.

I meant in my original post 1x3 or 1x4, as the DW says all the time, defective user 🙂

We used to be able to get 2-1/2" double headed nails but have not seen them in a while but they were great for temporary nailing.

Don't know how much ice buildup you get out there but here do get some and the big box stores should have rolls of ice dam shield, basically a rubber that is sticking on one side, you do at least the bottom row with it and it prevents ice and water from getting to the plywood. Rest of the roof should have tar paper at the very least. I shudder sometimes when I see roofers redoing a roof and just one strip of tar paper alone the bottom and sometime not even that. Tar paper is cheap but if you want it to really last do the whole roof with ice dam.

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
Talking to you guys was good luck. I actually got to punch in on a job yesterday, so I hope things are going to pick back up.

Yeah, I'll have to put some strips up there. Should be just enough to take the slippery out it.

I would've fixed the old dryer, but the motor went out. A new one is about the same price as the other dryer I found on Craig's List. Best part was just dragging it in the house, plugging it in and it works. No wrenching! 😉
Malcolm

bigunone
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the time you can fix your dryer by replacing the element for cheaper than buying a new dryer!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
lzasitko wrote:

To help on the roof you could nail on temp 1x34 strips which would help.

A lot of roofers around here do that, too. With their safety harnesses, to boot.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

lzasitko
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about the lack of work.

Most of my work (drafting) has been very widespread (ie North America and England) but the last couple years it has been going downhill and I am doing only a little now. There is still some building going on here but it is either box stores (and they use same drawings across the country) or developers that want you to draw 6 or 7 houses and they will build cooky cutter developments and they only want to pay you for a couple of them.... sucks big time. My big problem is that because I am self employed (have been for going on 14 years) that up here I am not eligible for unemployment even though I still have to pay into it..

I am hoping that things pick up for everyone and hope you can get back to work.

To help on the roof you could nail on temp 1x34 strips which would help. I started doing that after I slid off a roof. I was adding onto our house about 20 years ago and I wanted to get up on it and get it shingled but it had rained earlier and I lost my footing. Roof was steep enough that I slid off and fell about 14 or 15', luckily for me I had some new piles of top soil so I did not land on packed dirt or worst. In the end I had a slight sprain of one ankle which kept me off the thing for a couple days.

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a crazy few weeks. It started out by getting laid off at the shop for no work. I went on unemployment the week after. The clothes dryer had been acting up and finally fried night before last, so off to buy another one (from Craig's List). I've had a couple days to put in on the shed. My Dad had a pile of used 1/2 inch plywood that I've been going through finding the better ones for my roof sheeting.

A side effect of the painted plywood is it's slippery! I have to get some roofing on it so I can get traction to work on the top. :B
Malcolm

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it's been almost 2 weeks.....what's new???
The Pets

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
I hope I learn to only take on one project at a time when I'm older. :B

Still focusing on the shed so I can park the RV in there and get to work on it. We did have one of the nicest Memorial Day weekends on record up here, but as it likes to do, it's going to rain tomorrow. I need to get this thing done so I can stop for the day without having to clean up all my tools to avoid them all rusting up over night.

Speaking of the shed, I bought a bunch of 2x6's this morning and came back to start framing around the trusses so I can start sheeting the top.

Malcolm