cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

flooded rv

andybren
Explorer
Explorer
While parked in a storage facility, my motorhome got flooded during a storm. The water rose to about 3.5 feet, flooding everything housed in the basement ( inverter, converter, generator). Fortunately, no water actually came inside my rv. I had the rig towed and fixed at a great diesel shop, and now it has been sitting for 6 weeks in my dealers yard. They are telling me they are compiling a list of parts needed to be replaced. To date, nothing has been replaced, in fact, no estimate has been submitted to my insurance company. I am looking for a dealer in Delaware to take my rv to where it can get the proper attention. Any recommendations of a reputable dealer in Delaware will be greatly appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
turbojimmy wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
The reason most insurance companies total out a flooded vehicle is because they are on the hook for any future damage related to the flood on the same claim. Things that work now may quit working in a few months and it gets expensive for the insurance company to keep paying to have things fixed. So they often total the vehicle and sell it at auction to recoup some of their loss, but once it's sold at auction it's no longer their problem. I sure as heck would not want to keep a vehicle that had been flooded and would be strongly encouraging my insurance company to total it.

Unless the check has a statement where you endorse the check absolving the insurance company of any related future claims, which is pretty common nowadays.

I would push hard for the insurance company to deal with it (and likely total it). I wouldn't do anything else under their instruction except tell them where it is and that you want them to take care of it. The owner shouldn't be driving it from place to place and researching repair facilities - not on a rig that expensive. That's what insurance is for.

I restored a fresh-water, flood-totaled Cadillac DTS myself. I have to say that I never had any real problems with it. It was completely submerged and sat for months before I picked it up. I paid salvage value for it, though, so I could have walked away from it at any time should it have failed. After seeing first hand what happens when things are under water I wouldn't want to have anything to do with an RV that I had paid 6-figures for. You can't imagine where the water flows and what it leaves behind.

And I didn't see an answer to the fresh or salt water question. If it's saltwater, they should have totaled it no questions asked.

That generally only happens when you are dealing with somebody else's insurance company. When it's your own company they have to repair the damage and guarantee it. If things keep popping up that are related to flood damage, then it's all part of the same claim. I don't know if there is a time limit on that, but I do know it at least lasts for several years.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
The reason most insurance companies total out a flooded vehicle is because they are on the hook for any future damage related to the flood on the same claim. Things that work now may quit working in a few months and it gets expensive for the insurance company to keep paying to have things fixed. So they often total the vehicle and sell it at auction to recoup some of their loss, but once it's sold at auction it's no longer their problem. I sure as heck would not want to keep a vehicle that had been flooded and would be strongly encouraging my insurance company to total it.

Unless the check has a statement where you endorse the check absolving the insurance company of any related future claims, which is pretty common nowadays.

I would push hard for the insurance company to deal with it (and likely total it). I wouldn't do anything else under their instruction except tell them where it is and that you want them to take care of it. The owner shouldn't be driving it from place to place and researching repair facilities - not on a rig that expensive. That's what insurance is for.

I restored a fresh-water, flood-totaled Cadillac DTS myself. I have to say that I never had any real problems with it. It was completely submerged and sat for months before I picked it up. I paid salvage value for it, though, so I could have walked away from it at any time should it have failed. After seeing first hand what happens when things are under water I wouldn't want to have anything to do with an RV that I had paid 6-figures for. You can't imagine where the water flows and what it leaves behind.

And I didn't see an answer to the fresh or salt water question. If it's saltwater, they should have totaled it no questions asked.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
GENECOP wrote:
Check out RV Service Reviews....

x2.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious who your insurance company is.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
When the Dealer wrecked our coach it was not reported to CarFax or anyone apparently. I know a former Salesman described the scene and lots of Police showed up. You would think they made a report but we couldn't find one.
I guess the point is a wrecked vehicle may not always show up in a data base.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to be aware of is some repair shops are required to report to CarFax. You might get it repaired but when you go to sell it it will carry a 'flood damage' report on it and NO one will buy it and/or let you trade it in.

Which is WHY you need to have your insurance total it. Bring that to their attention which BTW they are well aware of that also. That should change their mind quite quickly.

Lot in the news of flood damage vehicles being fixed and sold to the unsuspecting buyer so the media coverage is a plus for you at this time regarding getting the insurance company to total it. They won't want to be anywhere near being a part of that.

Just stay on your insurance company to total it. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. They hold out until you keep asking and then they will do it.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
How many of the onboard systems are not working? It doesn't sound like all that much damage has been done. Most systems can handle small amounts of exposure to water. Just make sue there's no mold. Good luck.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out RV Service Reviews....

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
its been long enough talk to the insurance agency, if not happy talk to a att.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Fresh water or salt water?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

PortWentworthSa
Explorer
Explorer
Electronics can be replaced. The Genny can be replaced. The entire underbelly of that rig needs to be removed and completely inspected for mold. All the wires traveling though the underbelly needs to be changed out. Moisture can get inside the wire insulation when it's submerged. Road splashing is ok, but submered is not.

Mold will grow in cracks. There is insulation under your rig. Mold can grow on top of the black/grey and fresh water tanks.

DO NOT let them just pressure wash the underside of your rig. Make sure they use the proper chemicals to remove and destroy mold. There are special companies that are set up to do just that.. An RV repaiman is not certified or trained in mold removal.

Obviously your brakes, brake lines and components of that nature were also submerged in water for a period of time. You leveling jack system as well to include the jacks.

WOW, there will be a tremendous amount of specialized work that will be done to your rig in order to get it back on the road.

andybren
Explorer
Explorer
perhaps I did not explain accurately enough. I contacted my insurance company 2 days after the damage was incurred. Under their direction, I got the vehicle back on the road, and drove it from North Jersey to Delaware. The ride was uneventful. Again, under the guidance of the insurance company, I brought the rv back to the dealer so they could create an estimate. According to the ins. co, unless damage is in the neighborhood of 80,000.00 to 90,000.00, they would not total the vehicle. Still waiting for the estimate.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Call the insurance company and use one of their authorized shops, at least the insurance company and the shop will have a history together. Depending on your policy, totaling might not be a great idea, as you may only receive current book value. How did the area become flooded? Was there negligence? Perhaps a discussion with an attorney would be appropriate?
Best of luck.