cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For The Mechanics: 2000 Ford E450

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
While changing the oil today I found this leak.Appears to be an air conditioning hose. Didn't notice the leak last time I changed oil. About August 2013. I run the cab air on occasion and is still cooling. If this is not an A/C leak...what is it. If it is an A/C leak...what's the problem with just waiting till the air doesn't cool anymore. I bought the unit in 2011 and had freon (?) put in at that time. No problems since then. All input appreciated.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
15 REPLIES 15

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks fellows for the education. I didn't realize Steer Safe used such hardware in their product.

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
OOPS...didn't see that j-d had responded.

ron.dittmer said, "I am perplexed as to the purpose of those heavy duty screen-door springs. I never seen those under any E-Series before. Are they used for steering stabilization?"

Yes they are Ron. The product is Steer Safe. There are two large springs on each side. When I bought Winnie, there were only two. I put 4 new springs. I like the way she handles.
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a SteerSafe made in Deming NM. It's a centering device like the springs hidden under a cover on Safe-T-Plus.
I say "Centering" because it doesn't incorporate a hydraulic damper. Has to rely on the coach having its own.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:

I am perplexed as to the purpose of those heavy duty screen-door springs. I never seen those under any E-Series before. Are they used for steering stabilization?

I think they are part of a unit called Safe T Steer or something like that. They were supposed to help with general handling and if you got a blow out in a front tire.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some hydraulic rubber hoses are pre-fabricated with unique fittings on the ends. If that is your case, they can be purchased at places like Auto Zone, and quite affordable too. A year or two ago, I had to replace both my pre-fabricated power steering hoses on my old 1996 Ford Ranger. I was surprised they were only $12 to $15 a piece and in-stock too.

I am perplexed as to the purpose of those heavy duty screen-door springs. I never seen those under any E-Series before. Are they used for steering stabilization?

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, Mike. If it's for the transmission cooler, there is in fact "Transmission Cooler Hose." When I needed some, not all the big box chain auto supplies had it. Maybe only one and it might've been Autozone. Subject to change, of course, and I'm sure NAPA would have it. I'd use fuel line hose in a pinch, but not hardware store water hose.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS for all of the replies. Since this may very well be the original (2000 Winnebago) hose, I am considering replacing hose and clamps. Is this hose something that can be bought at a hardware store? All input appreciated.
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
pull it off put a tappered doll rod in and then make a new cut, you,ll loose about a couple spoons full of oil.
"tappered doll rod" could be called a golf tee. :B
Works for me.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
There should be no air conditioning lines that low on the chassis. Something else with nonvolatile oils is leaking.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
pull it off put a tappered doll rod in and then make a new cut, you,ll loose about a couple spoons full of oil.

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Like mitch f150 said. AC leak is a gas form only a small amount of oil in freon. I had a chevy astro van with a freon leak and where the leak is at is get very dirty from dust collecting on the freon oil and it does not have enough to run down the pan like that. Must be trans, collant , or oil.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
mikeleblanc413 wrote:
So, if I cut away an inch or so...nothing is going to leak out?

It will. Whatever volume is in the hose. Lay down some cardboard, have some rags handy, wear some old clothes and safety glasses, and have the new hose clamp ready to go.:)
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
It'll leak a bit, so have a rag handy! 😉 It won't drain the entire trans however... 😉

Could be the front oil pan seal leaking too? Hard to tell from that single pic.

A/C leaking would be in a 'gas' form and your A/C would not get cool at all, as it would have zero pressure in it.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
So, if I cut away an inch or so...nothing is going to leak out?
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas