cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford E450 super duty transmission issue

chilly123
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, new to this forum, my wife and I bought a 2007 jayco 31ft MH back in December. besides some minor issues all has been well with it until on our way home this weekend. just noticed as we were starting up a small hill back to home turf. the MH started to hunt and lose power. after reaching the top of the hill( it was very slow going) everything smoothed out. I suspect an issue with the transmission. my question is the E450 tranny the same tranny in the E350 superduty ? haven't found any litiature for an E450. any idea's
17 REPLIES 17

chilly123
Explorer
Explorer
j-d the fuel filter was the easy part. no band aids required, but several swear words and some questions as to the heritage of the individual the put it there. so far this last trip out no other problems this weekend. I suspect my wife was doing something wrong while she was driving. in two weeks I shall see if all is well as we are heading down the Oregon coast for a 10 day trip.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
To change the one gas filter on later models (at least around our 2002 E450/V10/Gas) you need a 5/16" "disconnect tool" and a new filter. Pretty easy. You'll see little "bumps" on the tubes into/out of the filter. These engage the "garter spring" quick disconnects on the later model Fords. Be sure the filter you buy has the seme length from filter to bump that the one you remove has. Older Fords used the same concept with a different connector. You can plug the old style into late model connectors BUT the disconnect tool won't fit into the space the next time you need to do a change. I can find a picture if you need a better explanation.
Old E-Series Fuel Filter Thread
The filter part number I bought is in the first post of the thread. That filter, showing the space to fit the disconnect tool, is the lower filter in the picture farther down in the thread.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

chilly123
Explorer
Explorer
I will be trying some of these this weekend as the wife and I are back out on the road. thanks to all of you for the help. will let you know how it goes.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I changed my E-450 fuel filter and it's as mda says. Put some Techron gas treatment in your gas tank. There is a possibility the sensors in your fuel tank could be corroding and keeping fuel flow too low to the injectors. I put a bottle in every 3K miles and also use it in DW's SUV, my pickup and my prized Vette.

mda
Explorer
Explorer
On a gas E450 Super Duty, there is only one fuel filter located on the driver side frame rail.

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
I could be wrong with yours but my 2007 Gulfstream Diesel powered has 2 fuel filters. One on top of engine and one under the motor. Best to check with FORD dealer

chilly123
Explorer
Explorer
jdog, two filters? only found one, located under cab along the frame rail. followed the fuel line from fuel rail down back towards fuel tank. where would be the second? no it wasn't in overdrive at the time. although the wife was driving at the time:B

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you were in overdrive. Do you know about taking it out of overdrive by pushing the button on the end of the shifter? If it was in overdrive and you let it upshift it would lug the engine and slow way down with very little pulling power when going up hill.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not related to the problem your are having, but ... the E450 Torqueshift transmission takes about 5 more quarts of fluid than the E350 Torgueshift transmission. I assume this is because of either the existence of a transmission cooler in the E450 with none in the E350 ... or a larger transmission cooler in the E450 than the one in the E350.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
chilly123 wrote:
just replaced the fuel filter as part of routine maint. two weeks ago. I will try the gas line antifreeze. pauldub the only code I could see was an old code fuel rail pressure. this is want prompted me to replace the fuel filter. current rail pressure is 65psi.

There are 2 fuel filters! Did you change both filters?

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
I agree it may not be a transmission issue but if the ATF has not been changed out now would be a good time to do it.

chilly123
Explorer
Explorer
carringb had not even thought of this. the wife and I are planning a short trip next weekend. I think I will be monitoring the fuel pressure, will let you know who it goes. thanks.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
chilly123 wrote:
just replaced the fuel filter as part of routine maint. two weeks ago. I will try the gas line antifreeze. pauldub the only code I could see was an old code fuel rail pressure. this is want prompted me to replace the fuel filter. current rail pressure is 65psi.

Your symptoms do not sound like a transmission problem to me. At least I have never heard of the TorqueShift doing this. It does sound to me like you lost power for some reason. The fuel rail code combined with your symptoms makes me think you are hydro-locking the fuel pump under high load conditions. This happens because the fuel pump is running hot. From what I've researched it seems that long-term parking with ethanol in the tank can cause the impellers to swell slightly. The extra friction makes it run hot, which eventually will cause it to boil in the pump and you get your hydro-lock condition.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I thought ethanol would eliminate water in the fuel?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.