cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Formaldahyde in Holding Tanks

Tara361
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the search, but didn't come up with an answer. Should we not use chemicals in our holding tanks that contain formaldehyde?? I'm sure this topic has been covered but I can't remember where. I think it is not recommended but I would like some input
Thanks Bob
Catty and Bob
2001 Flair 25F
Proud to be an American
12 REPLIES 12

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Thetford Aqua Kem still has formaldehyde and is still sold. That's what came with my trailer in the little "care package" that my dealer gave me. I didn't know any better, so I used it, and later switched to GEO.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
As already said, I doubt if any tank chemicals sold today still have formaldehyde, so you probably don't have to worry about that. But, no, you definitely do NOT want to use any chemicals that have such in it.

As to whether or not to use chemicals at all, that is a personal decision. It is very questionable if they help much with breaking down solids, but when the right chemicals are used and used properly, they DO help reduce odors. That is why many folks chose to use them. Yes, in a perfect world where nothing ever goes wrong, chemicals should not be necessary and odors should be contained. However, in the real world where things can and do go wrong at the most inopportune (spelling?) times...Tank chemicals provide good insurance against embarrassing nasty odors. ๐Ÿ™‚

lanerd wrote:
Waiting for Willaid to come on and tell us differently.

..I did a search, have not found anyone on this forum with an alias of 'Willaid'. Who is that, Ron?
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
No you should not use it, In fact the sale of Tank Chemicals containing it should be banned in my not very humble opinion.

Reports are some parks (mostly Southern DC and perhaps a few border towns CA/NV will ask you to park elsewhere if you have it in your rig, No matter if in use (I still have a small shrink wrapped bottle.. looking for a proper disposal facility).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't even think Formaldehyde is legal in septic systems any more is it?
2013 ACE 29.2

Patrol_65
Explorer
Explorer
The only time that I had to use chemicals in my black tank was when I was boon docking for a month in 90 degree plus weather. After about 2 weeks, the odor was noticeable when the toilet was flushed.
Nathan and Linda
KF4GYL
2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U Ford Triton V10 F53 Banks Power Pack

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
IMO Bill.Satellite is 100% correct.

I started using chemicals but soon discovered they are totally unnecessary and NO my RV does not stink.

Your holding tank is not a septic system it is a holding tank to be dumped into a septic system.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Waiting for Willaid to come on and tell us differently.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone who believes you must use chemicals to keep their RV from stinking either does not know what they are talking about or has run into RV's with faulty black water setups. Nothing is necessary to keep your black tanks odors from entering your RV other than good seals and some water.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Chemicals in your holding tank are fine. Doubt you could buy any chemical that contains formaldehyde. They don't sell it any more. If you don't mind the stink you don't have to use anything. Your friends will be polite. We never tell our friends their RV stinks. Guess you just get used to the stink over time. Vicks in the nose works for us with those friends.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
EPA and Septic Systems

NO Formaldehyde.

Personally, No Chemicals are needed period.

Waste tanks are 'Holding Tanks' not 'treatment tanks'
That is what sewer plant/septic systems do 'Treatment'

Odors.....shouldn't be any if 'vapor barriers' are working correctly (water in toilet bowl, toilet floor flange seal, 'P' traps holding water, waste tank vents clear, air admittance valves working, etc---just like home)

So NO don't use chemicals, dump waste tanks when full, and fix any broken vapor barrier

BUT IF you choose to use chemicals.............NO formaldehyde OR Bleach

GEO Method (2 cups powered water softener -- Calgon -- 1/2 Cup Dish Soap and 1 gallon HOT water. Mix then dump down toilet after draining tank. Leave in tank and let it slosh around)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
These posts have 'formaldehyde' in them. You can search within results 'water'
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
No, you should not use it in your holding tanks.
In the black tank, just use plain water or the Geo Method.
If you dump formaldahyde into a septic tank, it can mess up the bacteria system.