cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found It

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I've mentioned in a few posts, we've been looking for a late 90's Safari Sahara. We like the interior layout because it's roomy without slides. I like the CAT 300 / Allison combination and the stainless+aluminum construction.

One showed up on Craigs List last week and it just happened to be close to the CG we were going to this weekend. The owner agreed to drive it to the CG for us to look at it, and it is exactly what we've been looking for.

I guess it'll be Green Machine V2, although we may end up calling it White Tiger.

Thanx to Wolfe10 for the info on Safaris.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
24 REPLIES 24

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Jplante4, wow!, that is a nice looking clean coach. They must have kept it garaged as the paint looks excellent! Post pics of the inside if you can.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Looks nice, congrats!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
wolfe10 wrote:
You are welcome.

Where are you headed this winter in your new coach-- "winterizing by heading south" is a lot more fun!

I wish - a couple more years. We may do Red Coconut in March. The DW is on their e-mail list. I can't see her resisting for long. It snowed on us on the way back from CT today.
Jerry & Jeanne

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
gsf35099 wrote:
Nice rig. Pays to be patient and look.. 🙂

Thnx Kaven. You don't know the half of it. We chased a 95 Sahara for 4 months. I expect the owner wasn't ready to sell, even though it was on CL and e-bay. We just couldn't get him to set a time to look at it. We found a few on the 'net, but most were on the west coast which isn't surprising that they hadn't wandered far from the factory in 20 years.

We were actually chasing a 99 Sahara before we got the Astoria and glad we couldn't make the Sahara work. We owned a 98 36' Fleetwood Storm and it was fun, but I really had my heart set on a DP. Didn't want a really old one and figured it would be another decade or so before we got a DP. I stumbled on our rig one day and it was the exact layout we wanted with all kinds of upgrades. It was practically in new shape and was still under warranty. The asking price was so low that I knew it had a major problem. Had only been on the market 2 days when I found it. Turns out, the owners had paid it off and both recently passed and the RV company was looking to get rid of it quick. We got it for 1/4 of what the going prices were at the time.
I was able to find a buyer for the Fleetwood for what we had into it. The new owners picked it up the day the Astoria showed up at the house. Price included delivery from AZ.
I know the Astoria is an entry level DP, but IMO, it is one of the best entry level DP's at that time. We had several Foretravel owners comment how impressed they were by the Astoria we had. We love the thing and unless something really goes wrong, I don't see us changing for a really long time.:)
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
Congrats on finding what you wanted.

Enjoy.

My vote is for 'White Tiger'.

That's the back mural so it came naturally. No monkeys in the shower though, thank God.
Jerry & Jeanne

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
gsf35099 wrote:

Thnx Kaven. You don't know the half of it. We chased a 95 Sahara for 4 months. I expect the owner wasn't ready to sell, even though it was on CL and e-bay. We just couldn't get him to set a time to look at it. We found a few on the 'net, but most were on the west coast which isn't surprising that they hadn't wandered far from the factory in 20 years.
Jerry & Jeanne

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on finding what you wanted.

Enjoy.

My vote is for 'White Tiger'.

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Nice machine! Love the simplicity and rugged design.
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
You are welcome.

Where are you headed this winter in your new coach-- "winterizing by heading south" is a lot more fun!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/