cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freezing in Roanoke- electrical mystery 98 Holiday Imperial

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend living in his recently acquired 98 Holiday Rambler Imperial.

Last night the power in the campground went out. My 70 yea-old friend went to work and when he got home power was restored for everyone but him.

I spent a while on the phone trying to help him figure it out. He's recycled the breaker at the pole,and in the coach. The 20 amp outlets at the pole are good.

There is no 50amp power. He does not have a meter or the skills to use it.

Are there any other components besides the obvious breaker issues?
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon
1976 GMC Birchaven (hot rod with plumbing)

Finding propane leaks with a match and towing in overdrive since 1987.
11 REPLIES 11

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a couple days since your original post? Did he get the power working by now? If so, what was the problem. I think we all would like to know. (so we can avoid it happening to us).

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
One of two breakers on the inverter. May have tripped. Reset them and you should have power. Usually located in the basement.

Pogoil.

Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
While a GFI certainly could be tripped, it is not "central to the whole coach 120 VAC system".

I had a GFI trip and it was indeed central to the coach.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
While a GFI certainly could be tripped, it is not "central to the whole coach 120 VAC system".
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Explorer
Explorer
hertfordnc wrote:
there is some power at the pole as he is a metered renter and the meter is spinning slowly. He is using a 20 amp plug to power a lamp in the bay to keep the pipes from freezing.

I'm thinking the 50 amp breaker at the pole or at the breaker panel has failed.

Is there anything else central to the whole coach.

Moving the coach is also not an option. Im hoping he'll get a meter and I'll coach him by phone.

GFI in kitchen or bath . Push the button
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
If he wants to get warm, an adapter to connect main coach connector to the 20 amp outlet that is working should provide enough energy to run the converter to keep the batteries up and run the 12 volt propane furnace.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
there is some power at the pole as he is a metered renter and the meter is spinning slowly. He is using a 20 amp plug to power a lamp in the bay to keep the pipes from freezing.

I'm thinking the 50 amp breaker at the pole or at the breaker panel has failed.

Is there anything else central to the whole coach.

Moving the coach is also not an option. Im hoping he'll get a meter and I'll coach him by phone.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely, someone in the RV park with have a voltmeter!

Digital or analog 50 amp RV outlet:

Either outer straight to center straight or center round= 120 VAC

Center round to center straight= 0 VAC

Outer straight to outer straight= 240 VAC
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
He might have recycled the power at the campground pole, but is there power? Just flipping a switch might not be enough. Can he plug something different into the pole and see if it actually HAS power?

Or, can he run the trailer cord to a neighbor campsite and plug in for a few a few minutes to see if a different pole has power. If the camper gets power from another pole, then the campground pole is the problem, not the camper.

I would have him make VERY sure the pole has power before doing anything else.

Something similar happened to us a couple years ago. It was the hottest day of the year when we pulled into the campground and our pole did not work. I tried everything. I then finally ran enough line to the neighbor site plug and we had power.... enough to cool the camper down, until the next camper on that spot came in (which was about an hour later... but we did get the camper cooled down). Meanwhile, it took an act of congress to convenience the campground management there was a problem with the pole. Turn out to be a bad breaker at the pole.

Have your friend make absolutely sure there is power at the pole before dissecting his camper.

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
good suggestion but he has not gotten the generator running since it got cold.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there no employee at the campground who can check and help?

One somewhat reasonable possibility that comes to my mind is perhaps your friend used the generator when the power was out, and forgot to move a plug from the generator outlet to the shore power connection. (This is assuming he doesn't have an EMS system that is showing some error or fault).