cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge on or off during storage?

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen both sides; some keeping the doors open to avoid mold, some say never turn the Norcold off, if you can help it. What say all you knowledgeable folks?
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD
36 REPLIES 36

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I turn the Norcold 1200 LRIM off when in storage. I do leave the doors open. No need on running the fridge if you are not using it. There is that much more wear on the fans and everything else.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
Just another opinion.... we leave ours turned off with the doors propped open when not in use, even though the coach stays plugged up all the time.

Ditto. plus we put a box of arm and hammer in both the fridge and freezer.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I always have the same question about the best way to maintain the Norcold 1200. I stay plugged in 24/7/365 and leave the fridge on full time until it is time to winterize. Then I unload all of the food sauces, soft drinks, etc, clean out, defrost, shut down and leave the doors open.

I did this with the Dometic unit in my previous rv and it lasted only 8 years, so I don't know, still. I have read opinions from both sides.

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Turn mine off and open door, don't need to run if not using. Will turn on the day before we are going to use,

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that I do is that I empty the ice maker and turn it off when it's in storage. The defrost cycle clumps the ice together and I like it fresh.

So, when we are ready to start a trip, I bring a zip-lock bag of ice from the house and then turn on the ice maker in the coach. We have ice after one night.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Cauffield65
Explorer
Explorer
I leave my refrigerator on with the ice maker running and one of the A/C's set at 82 degrees and the inverter is keeping the batteries charged and it does not cost $ 30 a month. I dont know what type ref Old biscuit has, he may need to replace it.

barbandwayne
Explorer
Explorer
We rent a space which has no power so our fridge is always off with the door propped open a couple of inches. We bring it home,plug it in and let the fridge cool before we load up the next morning. Our unit is 12 years old and we've always done it this way.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Two Jayhawks wrote:
T bone wrote:
...running fridge will do same but cost you roughly $30+ month in AC Power..OLd Biscuit-------WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Sounded high to me too. I went online and the fridge in my coach costs about $5 per mo. Energy calculator

That calculator is for standard compressor fridges, not RV-style absorption fridges which are quite a bit less energy efficient. The heating element is typically around 300W, and on for the majority of the day. 150 or 200 kWh per month is in the right ballpark for an RV fridge, which could easily be around $30 a month depending on your electric rates.

My apology I should have stated mine is a residential fridge not a absorption fridge.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two Jayhawks wrote:
T bone wrote:
...running fridge will do same but cost you roughly $30+ month in AC Power..OLd Biscuit-------WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Sounded high to me too. I went online and the fridge in my coach costs about $5 per mo. Energy calculator

That calculator is for standard compressor fridges, not RV-style absorption fridges which are quite a bit less energy efficient. The heating element is typically around 300W, and on for the majority of the day. 150 or 200 kWh per month is in the right ballpark for an RV fridge, which could easily be around $30 a month depending on your electric rates.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
T bone wrote:

Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
T bone wrote:

$30.00/month to run an RV fridge in electric? :E :E
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Turn it off and open the doors. Why subject it to the wear and tear if you are not using it?
2014 American Eagle

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
TANDDANDBIGE wrote:
I have seen both sides; some keeping the doors open to avoid mold, some say never turn the Norcold off, if you can help it. What say all you knowledgeable folks?

Don't know if this is from knowledge or just habit but in the last 20 years the only time mine has ever been off is if it has no power to run it.

So if this is a survey then mark me down as leaving it ON.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach