cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From 5er to class A, why?

tealboy
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you moved from a 5er to a class A and why? I have ruled out a class C and TT so a DP 40 or a higher grade 5er appeals to me but as someone who has not rv'd before, I'm struggling to know which I would like better as a part time rver.

I thought I would ck w those of you who might have had a 5er but made the switch to class A and what you like better about one or the other and what compelled u to make the change.

Would be equally interested in class A owners who moved to a 5er but this is the wrong forum. I sorta feel like the 5er would be best for me but really tempted by the nice luxurious DPs that seem so popular.
84 REPLIES 84

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
^^^ I can answer that - it's a big difference. Until a few weeks ago we owned both a MH and a TT.

I have done the western trip with both; hands down without question the MH is more convenient, and comfortable, and easier to drive, and, and, and...

I honestly cannot think of one thing the TT did better or made the trip more enjoyable than the MH. And for the record, we were pulling the TT with an F250 Crew Cab diesel Lariet with the Ultimate package, so we weren't slumming it with the tow truck either.

The TT is now gone.

I agree that it won't do it "better" but equal is a different matter.

There is one exception, the price to get in the game. For equivalent units, MH's are typically 30-100% higher priced.

When it comes to use while traveling I wouldn't say it was even close to equal, but that's just my opinion after owning and using both.

As far as the price of admission, to do it properly a new upper end truck and 5th wheel would be in the $130-$160k range. That buys a nice higher end new gasser or nice used diesel.

Heck, I saw the MSRP on a fully loaded F450 hit the $100K mark! Using MSRP on a nice 5er (not saying anyone pays MSRP) could put you into $250K pretty fast.

The $100K Super Duty
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bruce_Brown
valhalla360 wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
^^^ I can answer that - it's a big difference. Until a few weeks ago we owned both a MH and a TT.

I have done the western trip with both; hands down without question the MH is more convenient, and comfortable, and easier to drive, and, and, and...

I honestly cannot think of one thing the TT did better or made the trip more enjoyable than the MH. And for the record, we were pulling the TT with an F250 Crew Cab diesel Lariet with the Ultimate package, so we weren't slumming it with the tow truck either.

The TT is now gone.

There is one exception, the price to get in the game. For equivalent units, MH's are typically 30-100% higher priced.

When it comes to use while traveling I wouldn't say it was even close to equal, but that's just my opinion after owning and using both.

As far as the price of admission, to do it properly a new upper end truck and 5th wheel would be in the $130-$160k range. That buys a nice higher end new gasser or nice used diesel.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
On my 5th wheel if it's cold I just leave the overhead heat on and run the gen set that is just sitting in the back of the truck, every thing toasty warm when we stop, sure beats having to sit on a cold seat, Lol
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimin wrote:
The MH was our choice. The clincher was not having to get out of a warm truck in freezing weather to scurry back and pull out some frozen metal steps so that we could climb up to fight a frozen locked door and beat our way into an icy cold 5th wheel to pee on a cold plastic seat! Then shiver while trying to warm the darn thing up to an acceptable temperature to prepare a rushed lunch so that we could climb back into a now ice cold truck!

In the summer - just reverse the scenario.
hahaha i like that! A good mental picture.

fulltimin
Nomad
Nomad
The MH was our choice. The clincher was not having to get out of a warm truck in freezing weather to scurry back and pull out some frozen metal steps so that we could climb up to fight a frozen locked door and beat our way into an icy cold 5th wheel to pee on a cold plastic seat! Then shiver while trying to warm the darn thing up to an acceptable temperature to prepare a rushed lunch so that we could climb back into a now ice cold truck!

In the summer - just reverse the scenario.
If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
janstey58 wrote:
X2, would not want a daily drive big truck. $$$ out the window....

My toad gets 25 mpg, and is also my daily driver.

For a full timer, the 6mpg vs 10mpg moving the RV usually outweighs the 25mpg vs 20mpg (diesel pickup) by a long shot.

Now if you only move the RV a couple times a year, then yes, the toad will win on overall mpg but the MH drivetrain won't be happy sitting for months at a time.
Now Mike, let's be honest. You don't drive a "big truck" like most of us are thinking. You have an F250 gasser pulling a lightweight 5er. I think what most here are thinking is the F450 dually pulling the 18,000 lb DRV 5th wheel. At that point, that truck is a bear to drive everyday and try to park, and it sure doesn't get 20 mpg.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
janstey58 wrote:

For a full timer, the 6mpg vs 10mpg moving the RV usually outweighs the 25mpg vs 20mpg (diesel pickup) by a long shot.

Now if you only move the RV a couple times a year, then yes, the toad will win on overall mpg but the MH drivetrain won't be happy sitting for months at a time.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bruce Brown wrote:

The TT is now gone.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
homedad wrote:
If you're considering a DP this may not apply. I've had 2-C's and one A. My wife's complaint was always the incredible amount of noise especially with the Ford V10. Crossing mountains was like sitting on a jet engine. The squeaks and rattles were another common complaint. Maybe a more expensive DP wouldn't suffer from these.

Our Diesel pusher is very quiet, but so was out 2010 Ford F250 diesel truck when we had the 5th wheel.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mile High wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
janstey58 wrote:

Guess its all in what you like and your perception. I have had 3 mh's and now a 5er. I have no problem parking my F250 any where I parked my toads. Truck with out camper gets 20mpg still gets 11 towing. Much better than the 6 mpg the mh got.
You have an F250 that gets 20 mpg? That would make a nice toad 🙂
it has always done well with average 19 to 20. We take it on trips more than our Sorento. More room in crew cab and better mpg.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
janstey58 wrote:

Guess its all in what you like and your perception. I have had 3 mh's and now a 5er. I have no problem parking my F250 any where I parked my toads. Truck with out camper gets 20mpg still gets 11 towing. Much better than the 6 mpg the mh got.
You have an F250 that gets 20 mpg? That would make a nice toad 🙂

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
janstey58 wrote:

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We had 5th wheels - the last one newer than this Class A. It was beautiful, had 6 pt leveling and rooftop satellite and more room than our Class A. We had a dually F350 that was a beast and when towing I couldn't be happier - I could take down and move in an hour - to the point I didn't mind camp hopping to get full hookups on the weekdays.

That was where our love affair ended. When not on vacation, I hated the truck so I had to get a third car for daily driver. Every fiver we owned rolled off the lot brand new needing full upgrade and replacement suspension, tires, brakes and wheels. They really aren't made to move 🙂

Our DP is an expensive change - but for us it's much more useable for long, even short trips. Took it out to give my Dad a ride in it a few weeks ago and to charge batteries and before long we were in a park with the slides out, awnings and jacks, and a couple of chairs while the gals visited inside. I would never have done that with our 5er.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
OP, even though you do not like sea foam it sounds like you are mechanically handy...a good thing if you own a RV. Like you I refuse to own a PU with hips even though I recommend buying more RV than you think you need...ONE Time. NO way would I go back to a 5er for most of the reasons already posted plus I can backup. Bigger tanks and more self contained makes a A nicer for boondocking.

Sounds like you have a used budget of $100K which will get you a nice 10 year old DP BUT as a virgin RVer that's a lot of $$$ to spend on something the wife may not like. Jumping straight into a DP will save a bunch of steps and granted she will like it better in a DP than a 5er BUT it's a big gamble.

Contrary to the above, I would probably start with a 250/2500 PU pulling a used 31' Airstream in a package of $50K. You can sell the Airstream for what you paid for it in5 years plus you already have the generators you'll need. As a virgin my advice is you need to slow down and make sure this is a adventure everyone will enjoy without spending a lot of money.

PS: the Tampa RV show is 3 months away.

Where could you get a pickup and an airstream for 50,000 if you can let me know ill buy it otherwise even used you are 75-100,000

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Once you get used to a big truck, it's really not that hard to find parking. I used to work downtown Detroit and parked the F250 there all the time.

first I don't care if you are comfortable driving a semi in downtown DC, San Juan, NYC, etc. I prefer something smaller my self. I am just pointing out to folks here to consider whether they will enjoy doing it if they haven't thought about that. I wouldn't enjoy it.
bumpy

I think your name should be grumpy. And for the record, Monster trucks are used in the entertainment industry, I know your old but try to keep up.

some folks should realize that this is not a contest, that other people should do as they do, or want to do. responses should be like those of wa8yxm, list pros and cons. then let the OP decide what is important, it matters not what anybody else thinks/wants. I just like to remind prospective purchasers of any issues that they should consider. do you have a monstrous problem with that?
bumpy