cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

From 5er to class A, why?

tealboy
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you moved from a 5er to a class A and why? I have ruled out a class C and TT so a DP 40 or a higher grade 5er appeals to me but as someone who has not rv'd before, I'm struggling to know which I would like better as a part time rver.

I thought I would ck w those of you who might have had a 5er but made the switch to class A and what you like better about one or the other and what compelled u to make the change.

Would be equally interested in class A owners who moved to a 5er but this is the wrong forum. I sorta feel like the 5er would be best for me but really tempted by the nice luxurious DPs that seem so popular.
84 REPLIES 84

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
wa8yxm wrote:

Since I like to avoid those weather conditions (Have been in the RV down to -6 F... Not too happy about it but.. hey)

I use "Downpour rain when traveling" as my example.. but yes.. Same idea exactly.. Good post and good argument for a Class A.

I get with weekend warriors, if it's Sunday and you have to work on Monday, you travel regardless of the weather but full timing, if the weather is lousy, we tend to stay put for an extra day or two until it's nicer.

We also try to head south in the winter.

As you have said, there are exceptions (we've only been down to -5F) but if once or twice a year you have to go out in the rain...is that really a determining factor in the selection?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bruce Brown wrote:

When it comes to use while traveling I wouldn't say it was even close to equal, but that's just my opinion after owning and using both.

As far as the price of admission, to do it properly a new upper end truck and 5th wheel would be in the $130-$160k range. That buys a nice higher end new gasser or nice used diesel.

You are entitled to your onion but I have yet to see much factual difference.

As far as a new gasser...apples and oranges:

So $160k for upper end diesel truck and 5th wheel with all the bells and whistles.

Upper end diesel pusher MH, easily $250k...all the bells and whistles and you can double that to $500k.

If you want to throw used MHs in, you have to compare to used 5ers for an equal comparison.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mile High wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
janstey58 wrote:
X2, would not want a daily drive big truck. $$$ out the window....

My toad gets 25 mpg, and is also my daily driver.

For a full timer, the 6mpg vs 10mpg moving the RV usually outweighs the 25mpg vs 20mpg (diesel pickup) by a long shot.

Now if you only move the RV a couple times a year, then yes, the toad will win on overall mpg but the MH drivetrain won't be happy sitting for months at a time.
Now Mike, let's be honest. You don't drive a "big truck" like most of us are thinking. You have an F250 gasser pulling a lightweight 5er. I think what most here are thinking is the F450 dually pulling the 18,000 lb DRV 5th wheel. At that point, that truck is a bear to drive everyday and try to park, and it sure doesn't get 20 mpg.

Currently have a gas but prior was diesel and got 20mpg (know several people who get similar) and just as easy to drive around. Even with the 15mpg on the V10, most full timers would still come out ahead.

Actually I would prefer an F450 as the turning radius is better than the F250.

FYI: 18k is well above average size even for a full timer. I would say from casual observation that 12-16k is more typical and puts you in the 3/4-1 ton range.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
> The Ford F350 and F450 units all had such a massive doghouse that there was no foot room on either side, which seemed like it would be very uncomfortable driving.

That was one of the features I looked at in the many MHs I checked out this summer. I would say 75% has such massive doghouses I ruled them out immediately. The one I finally bought does have a doghouse but it is low enough that I can lift my feet up and swivel the seat to get past it. Getting to a standing position is still a challenge but with one hand pushing on the dash and the other pushing on my cane, I can usually rock once and then make it up. Not ideal but if it lets me keep on RVing I will happily make the effort!
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œI am not an experienced puller so I don't know if that is unavoidable or if this particular driver was clumsy, but it's one more factor to consider.โ€

It is avoidable most of the time as experienced pullers know when considering a fuel stop. You determine from the road sometimes 150-200 feet away โ€œcan I get in...can I get outโ€. Yes, sometimes you goof and sometimes others need to wait their turn. Donโ€™t let fuel stops deter you from TTs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
wyocamper wrote:
Short story spun long here.

Insurance co totaled our 5er last year after a hail storm. I bought it for salvage value and sold it to a friend for that plus the cost of the gooseneck adapter. It was small (19.5') and light (4300#) but after just a few trips I was pretty tired of towing it.

My wife has knee problems and wanted to look at MH's, she liked the idea of only having to go up the steps one time. So we went looking for a B+ but they were too small, or very expensive for a decent floor plan. We looked at several C's and some of the Mercedes chassis units were very nice but also very spendy. The Ford F350 and F450 units all had such a massive doghouse that there was no foot room on either side, which seemed like it would be very uncomfortable driving.

We found a very slightly used Winnebago Vista and really liked it and bought it (don't have it yet, that's a story I'm going to tell in detail a few weeks from now). Small enough to get into most of the boondock spots we like to camp in, but large enough to have room to move around in.

Who knows, a couple years down the road I may be in the market for a new pickup and 5er.

Not many go back, if they move around a good bit and it does sound like you do. Larger maybe, but usually will stick with an A class and toad.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wyocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Short story spun long here.

Insurance co totaled our 5er last year after a hail storm. I bought it for salvage value and sold it to a friend for that plus the cost of the gooseneck adapter. It was small (19.5') and light (4300#) but after just a few trips I was pretty tired of towing it.

My wife has knee problems and wanted to look at MH's, she liked the idea of only having to go up the steps one time. So we went looking for a B+ but they were too small, or very expensive for a decent floor plan. We looked at several C's and some of the Mercedes chassis units were very nice but also very spendy. The Ford F350 and F450 units all had such a massive doghouse that there was no foot room on either side, which seemed like it would be very uncomfortable driving.

We found a very slightly used Winnebago Vista and really liked it and bought it (don't have it yet, that's a story I'm going to tell in detail a few weeks from now). Small enough to get into most of the boondock spots we like to camp in, but large enough to have room to move around in.

Who knows, a couple years down the road I may be in the market for a new pickup and 5er.
2015 Winnebago Vista 27N

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œSecurity wasn't much of an issueโ€ Security is a huge issue. Everyone is much safer in a modern pickup, suv or van than in a motor home. Few if any MHs are tested for crash safety by the Feds. Letting children use the bathroom while underway is very unsafe and shows poor judgment.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
> For those who like being able to grab a sandwich or go to the bathroom on the road, is it really that hard to stop somewhere and do those things?

Bearing in mind there are no wrong choices, just individual preference - yes, it is really that hard.

Scenario 1: travelling 1000 miles with 2 small children and a need to use as little as possible of DH's vacation time. They travelled seat belted in the dinette. They could read, color, watch DVDs. When we were doing straight stretches on the interstate (which was most of the trip), they couled go to the bathroom. Mealtimes, I fixed and they ate at the dinette. All while eating up the miles. When the dog travelled with us, one parent would fill the tank while the other took kids and dogs to a grassy area to jump around. Minimal wasted time. With anything other than a MH (TT or 5er or camper), they would have spent much more time confined in a smaller seat without a flat area to do stuff on. Security wasn't much of an issue: the doors stayed locked at night, and we could stop, get ready for bed, sleep, and get up without ever unlocking the doors. Plus, most of our trips were in winter, and having the trip interrupted by a snowstorm was always a possibility. Being stuck in a small town for several days was much more tolerable with our own beds, food, and bathroom.

Scenario 2: my mobility is now quite limited, to the point that I hunted for quite a while before finding a class A I thought I could use. Getting up the steps is hard for me, but once I am in, everything is on the same level and not very far apart. It's a 27-footer. I am looking forward to some trips with DH or DD along to climb down and do fillups. I also can't drive for very long at a time. With the MH, if I can't drive, we can either park for a while or someone else can drive while I relax in bed or in a recliner.

I was filling up the car at WM last night and a big ol' pickup drove in pulling a long TT. No way to measure it but it looked longer than my 27' class A. Getting it around and up to an island to fill up looked ... challenging. And left the TT partially blocking the drivers on those islands, making them have to do some maneuvering when they were ready to leave. I am not an experienced puller so I don't know if that is unavoidable or if this particular driver was clumsy, but it's one more factor to consider.

These scenarios may well not apply to you. In that case, you might be happier in a 5er. My recommendation is to really look hard at how you like to travel and select whichever suits your style better.
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'

Bruce_Brown
4x4ord wrote:
I like driving my little truck. I enjoy towing. I would expext traveling in a high end DP would be more comfortable than sitting in a pick up or car but most of the satisfaction might come from pride of ownership. A pickup and fifth wheel doesn't look like much compared to a 2 million dollar Prevost.

I have a 2016 F150 Crew Cab Short box and a 2016 F250 diesel Crew Cab long box. Both are very well equipped Lariets, both were bought new, both have over 30,000 miles on them now. I drive a lot, and I really like driving them both.

Our MH is over 10 years old now. When it comes to traveling, I'd rather drive the motorhome than any vehicle we own. I would rather have either truck for a daily driver. The motorhome is just a different kind of traveling, and for a vacation it's hard to beat.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Bruce_Brown
^^^ Is your truck a 4x4? If so, and it has a transfer case with a true neutral, it should be towable 4 down.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
I am at the 10yr mark Workamping with the same 5th wheel and dually combo. My out look has no input for a "vacation" thought to full-timing in a 5th wheel.

Fiver is setup up for my work and living needs. Me and two cats. Wife/MIL stay at S&B with short 2 week visits on a 3 month average spacing.

Travel from job to job: Wife will travel with me for company on these. Will stop for bathroom, lunch break, rest area overnight. Hot/cold weather-yep have to deploy generator to run A/C or for heater if running overnight.

Live in fiver when broke down due to lost bearing on fiver. Yep, deploy generators, etc.

Yes it has its negatives. If I am the only one traveling I prefer reclining the drivers seat and catching some sleep. Kind of a hassle with the fiver for making it comfortable to sleep, shower, etc.

It would probably be better to have an generator installed on fiver. That is current thought. I have a 100+ gallon transfer tank in the dually. I top of main tank whenever I stop for any given reason. I have a 500+ mile range on the tank in the dually. With the transfer tank I can go easily 2800 miles before starting to shop the diesel prices for a fill up.

With a on-board generator I could run it to cool off or warm up fiver. That would add a little convenience.

Dually as a daily driver does have some small annoyances but I still average 18 mpg in town with it. When I go for groceries or a new appliance I have plenty of room.

Class A is appealing to me. The only draw back for me is needing a toad. I wonder if I could tow my dually four down? I like my truck. It is setup for my work, is paid for, runs well, looks old like me, and by not having to tow a fiver I could add another transfer tank and have up to 300 gallons of diesel available for either truck or Class A DP.

Hmmmm.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
fulltimin wrote:
The MH was our choice. The clincher was not having to get out of a warm truck in freezing weather to scurry back and pull out some frozen metal steps so that we could climb up to fight a frozen locked door and beat our way into an icy cold 5th wheel to pee on a cold plastic seat! Then shiver while trying to warm the darn thing up to an acceptable temperature to prepare a rushed lunch so that we could climb back into a now ice cold truck!

In the summer - just reverse the scenario.

Since I like to avoid those weather conditions (Have been in the RV down to -6 F... Not too happy about it but.. hey)

I use "Downpour rain when traveling" as my example.. but yes.. Same idea exactly.. Good post and good argument for a Class A.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like driving my little truck. I enjoy towing. I would expext traveling in a high end DP would be more comfortable than sitting in a pick up or car but most of the satisfaction might come from pride of ownership. A pickup and fifth wheel doesn't look like much compared to a 2 million dollar Prevost.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5