cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

From Denver to Rocky Mountain National Park

Maw__Jim___Jake
Explorer
Explorer
We will be leaving Denver in our 38 foot class A gas powered MOHO while pulling our toad, to Estes Park. Any suggestions on which route to take?
If I can add to that, from Estes Park to Montrose.
Thanks, JMAT
2008 Newmar Grand Star, Brake Buddy, Blue Ox, Explorer Sport Trac 4x4, and (one brilliant Golden Retriever in spirit and memory) Toby our Corgi pup.
17 REPLIES 17

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
life'sgood wrote:
We're going south for the winter on the I-25, coming from West yellowstone and going to Texas, but are going to detour to Utah to see Arches and Canyonlands.
So from Denver we're going to take the I-70 west. To avoid Denver we were thinking of taking the 34 to Estes or the 36 through Longmont and follow the 7 and 72 south through Raymond and Nederland until we'll connect with the I-70.
Is this possible towing a 39 foot 5th wheel (and a 2 ton Chevy) or will we have white nuckles all the way? I don't mind about windy but what about the elevation differences?
Thanks

Great drive -- just take your time, Raymond is special, be sure to take Riverside Drive -- first time we went through I had picked out a house and was ready to move, love that area -- you will actually not need to or through Longmont -- 34 to Estes then 7 to 72 On Peak to Peak, if you decide to go to Longmont you will take 36 through Lyons -- nice little CG in town on the River, only 5-6 sites, just a thought.

The Drive through Nederland is also pretty special -- If you have time you might want to unhook and drive down to Boulder for the Farmer Market (used to be Saturday and Wednesday) it's worth the effort.

You will be heading through Colorado in the absolute best time of year, Do you have more time? If you can stretch the trip so you are in Colorado in the end of September you might just catch the Aspen in all their Golden Spender. This was on my bucket list for years and finally caught it in 09' -- One of my Top Ten of all time.

If you have made it this far I doubt you are still into the White Knuckles when driving in the Mountains. When you follow 72 to 119 you will go By Golden Gate Canyon SP -- hard to get into on the weekend but if you hit it on a weekday you can get in -- Great little SP. Then on down the road to To 6 and I-70 in Idaho Springs from there you can start a whole new adventure, but that would be another story.

If I were you I would start this up as a new thread and get more input. Also if this was my trip I would head over to Leadville and catch Independence Pass in the TV and on to Buena Vista and the Collegiate Peaks............... this could go on for years.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
We will be leaving Denver in our 38 foot class A gas powered MOHO while pulling our toad, to Estes Park. Any suggestions on which route to take?
Thanks, JMAT

We went from Cherry Creek State Park in Aurora, to Estes Park in July. The fast route for us was 25 north to 66 east and then 36 North at Lyons. I do not think you could find a faster route. CO 66 was a brand new wide concrete highway on the north side of Longmont to Lyons for the most part. Go north on the 25 past the 119 exit to Longmont and get the 66 west. 36 is scenic up to Estes Park for everyone but the driver.

I'll leave the Montrose leg to others!
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

life_sgood
Explorer
Explorer
We're going south for the winter on the I-25, coming from West yellowstone and going to Texas, but are going to detour to Utah to see Arches and Canyonlands.
So from Denver we're going to take the I-70 west. To avoid Denver we were thinking of taking the 34 to Estes or the 36 through Longmont and follow the 7 and 72 south through Raymond and Nederland until we'll connect with the I-70.
Is this possible towing a 39 foot 5th wheel (and a 2 ton Chevy) or will we have white nuckles all the way? I don't mind about windy but what about the elevation differences?
Thanks

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
crabbin cabin wrote:
Thunder Mountain made a mistake!! "If you are a little more adventurous you can take Grand County 1 from Hot Sulphur Springs to State Bridge"

Grand County 1 starts in Kremmling (Not Hot Sulphur)! The last time we did that it was gravel all the way to State bridge but, I agree , it is a great road.
But again - at State Bridge I would stay on the "River Road" (you are no longer in Grand County) all the way around thru' Burns to I 70 at Dotsero! and yes - it is doable with your rig!

Thanks for the correction on Grand County 1. At least I got the number right!
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
I like the route from Boulder and the back way on 34 also. The route thru Leadville going south is a nice drive too. If you get to Central City say high to my two old drinking buddies. ๐Ÿ™‚
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thunder Mountain made a mistake!! "If you are a little more adventurous you can take Grand County 1 from Hot Sulphur Springs to State Bridge"

Grand County 1 starts in Kremmling (Not Hot Sulphur)! The last time we did that it was gravel all the way to State bridge but, I agree , it is a great road.
But again - at State Bridge I would stay on the "River Road" (you are no longer in Grand County) all the way around thru' Burns to I 70 at Dotsero! and yes - it is doable with your rig!

JanTx
Explorer
Explorer
AWESOME! I love Co. There aaren't too many roads I haven't driven *(paved ones, that is,,, and a few dirt). I never tire of it and I wish I could afford to retire in Estes. thanks for that commentary.

J
Janet N Texas

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let me give you a suggestion on the EP to Montrose leg. I always catch heck on this forum for this suggestion, but I'll do it anyway. Since you will be in EP, you will no doubt drive up Trail Ridge Road in your toad. You can us that trip to scout my suggestion.

If you are comfortable with driving your rig up TR, I suggest that you leave EP via that road. Be sure to start around 7 am to avoid the traffic. Take 36 to Granby and 40 north to Hot Sulphur Springs and catch Colorado 9 to Silverthorne. I lived in EP for 31 years and took two fivers and current MH over TR as well as a school bus and over the road tour bus. The only real caution is a series of hairpin curves on the west side of TR. You will have to take part of the other lane to make the curve. Just take it slow. Colorado 9 is a beautiful road and misses the darn Tunnel on I70. I use it for a shortcut when I can.

If you are a little more adventurous you can take Grand County 1 from Hot Sulphur Springs to State Bridge and 131 to Wolcott. Grand County 1 is a beautiful, wide unpaved all weather road. There is no traffic and the scenery is Colorado beautiful. 131 to Wolcott is paved and equally scenic. Don't take this route if it has been raining. You will have a very muddy rig. Been there done that.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Traffic is all dependent on where you have lived. When we moved to Holland I can not drive 2 miles in any direction and still be i9n the city. People here have a big problem with going to a Dr. who is more than 2 miles from home. People try to avoid "Rush Hour". I have told them we don't have enough cars in the whole town to make one decent traffic jam. We came from Detroit and had been in Chicago & Atlanta frequently.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
The SCENIC route would be the "peak to peak Highway (Colorado highway 7 out of Idaho Springs). Quick way would be I-25 north to Highway US 34 through Loveland. Are you looking for speed or scenery?

LOTS of possibilities for the Montrose leg but without knowing what you consider important in a route it's hard to be of much help. I'd probably want to go over Trail Ridge then US 40 over Berthoud Pass to I-70 through the tunnel then head south through Leadville on US 24 to US 50 at Salida, then take 50 west to Montrose. The route is fairly straight forward, scenic yet includes some Interstate to make time and it's not difficult driving.

Good luck / Skip

Yea....Denver to Loveland is certainly not the quick way. Probably more using the Boulder Turnpike (36) from north D then on to Lyons. Hang a left, no issues. Boulder is no different than driving through any town, just with more tree huggers. Lanes are about as wide as a Prius and you won't have anywhere to stop, but there is nothing there really unless you want some of that pizza that was on Man vs Food. Easy drive. If you are on the west side, just take 470 to Golden to 93 which will change into 36 in Boulder.

To Montrose, Skip is right, the peak to peak is really pretty. Not sure about your wanting to wind through it in a MH. I would do it, but not all would. Either way, your best and only bet to get to Montrose direct is I-70 to Grand Junction. If you want the pretty route, but waaay longer, take 285 south to U.S. 50, then west. Or 285 south past the Great Sand Dunes, west through Pagosa Springs to Mesa Verde, then N through Ouray to Montrose. Now that is a pretty trip!

ww
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

JanTx
Explorer
Explorer
from Denver you will go up via I 25 to exit on hwy 36 to Lyons and EP. just saying . check your map and see which way you want to go.

Just depends on which side of Denver you are on.
Janet N Texas

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
We go to Estes Park every year and go up 36 thru Boulder and into Lyons. It's an easy drive for your gasser and toad. There is a little stop and go traffic in Boulder but in 15 minutes you will be thru it and on you way @ 55-60 mph to Lyons, then up the mountain to Estes.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

JanTx
Explorer
Explorer
If you ask me, i'd stay the HECK out of Boulder just because of the traffic and ppl! Because you have a toad... well, take that around to the tourist stuff... that was mentioned above,,, the Brewery, the train museum @ Golden,, all that stuff. The peak to peak is pretty but wind y.that's WYND y,, not wind ee....but so is 36 and 34. Ya just can't get up to Estes Park w/o taking a wind-y mtn road w/ drop-offs. That's the story/glory of mountains. (thank you, Lord!) I was meaning that coming into Denver from west I 25 is quicker than the southwest rt. again because of traffic. Just consult your map , preferably a state issued one,, those are best,,more detailed...rather than your atlas,,, im just so jealous that you're heading up to my version of heaven...just know that in a gasser,, the mtns are gonna be harder to pull so,,on the interstate they are 'ironed out' better and w/ climbing lanes and that sort of stuff... oh and did I tell you about the runaway truck ramps? ๐Ÿ˜‰ you will see them if you go on I 70 . I always imagined how it would be if your breaks failed. Those are life savers!

I hope im not going on and on telling you stuff you already know. ๐Ÿ™‚
Janet N Texas

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Maw, Jim & Jake wrote:
Thanks, JMAT

First choice would be to Head out to Golden, I-70 to CO 58 to Rt 6 -- if you have not been to Golden great time to stop -- highlights, Coors plant tour, Clear Creak, the Town of Golden, you could run up the mountain to see Buffalo Bill's Grave site and check out the story -- from there head out Rt 6 along Clear Creek, Beautiful drive along the Creek, this will take you up to Central City (Rt 119 to the right) -- Do you Feel Lucky -- and the Peak to Peak Highway, you will also drive by Black Hawk these two town are the Gamblers hideaway in the mountains(8,000)-- from there you will pass Golden Gate SP -- might just want to check it out for future trips -- usually full on the weekends but has space during the week. Now staying on Rt 119 you will drive up through Nederland -- good side trip is staying on 119 and going into Boulder -- College town and the Farmers Market is worth the trip alone -- Saturday and Wednesday if I remember. When you get to Nederland you take Rt 72 towards Ward, after going through Ward head towards Raymond and Riverside --Great little spot -- first time I drove through I picked out a House -- wife said NO - all along this route there are hiking areas and trail so if you are inclined take a Hike. When you hit Raymond you will take Rt 7 towards Allenspark and on to Estes -- I usually take Rt 7 to the right following the St Vrain River and Lyons -- Love the Town -- then will take Rt 36 up to Estes then 34 Trail Ridge to Lake Grandby, and the town of Grand Lake.

Other option is I-25 to Rt34 -- 34 is beautiful but I- 25 is not.

One more might be Rt 93 to Rt 36 through Boulder and Lyons -- lot of traffic an just outside the foothills.

Now if you liked the trip to Estes I can give you a couple of Routes to Montrose and the San Juan's, let me know.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach