cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front Diesel - Rear Gas?

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Reading up and looking at Motorhomes and hearing about the Heat/Noise factor of Gas versus the quiet of the Diesel, mostlyd due to engine location. Also hearing about noise factor of the generator at night when on most Gasser's is at the back under the sleeping area where most diesels the gen is in the front under the cockpit. So basically a Diesel is generally quieter all the time.

That being said why wouldn't the manufacturers put a Gas in the rear of the Motorhome instead of the front? Or do they and I haven't come across it yet.?
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚
19 REPLIES 19

NewWorldCaravan
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Front engine Diesel. It only has 6,500K on it but it has been a great unit so far and the only issue I have had with the Freightliner chassis was a brake caliper recall they fixed a few years ago.
2008 Gulfstream Sunvoyager FRED chassis , 2008 Silverado 1500 Toad with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

Remco Driveshaft Coupling

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We like our Front Engine Diesel....but i suspect its not the type y'all are considering when discussing a front engine diesel.

our 13L 6cyl turbo is powerful & quiet - and its easy to work on (w/out entering the coach).
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a silly question,, but,, Has anyone ever moved an engine from the front of the RV to the rear? I mean some really talented fabricator. If my lav wasn't in the back i would try to think of the idea but I am sure it would be a huge undertaking I don't mind front engined motorhomes but there is so much room taken up by the doghouse and it is a pain to work on the motor when it is up front. I had to changed the plugs and wires, had to go in and out of the motorhome 8-9 no 10 times as i dropped the socket..

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
"That being said why wouldn't the manufacturers put a Gas in the rear of the Motorhome instead of the front? Or do they and I haven't come across it yet.?"

There have been coaches with a rear gas but the cooling factor wasn't there

Maybe not in rear gassers many years ago, but mine runs cool, not hot. It runs much cooler than any DP.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Front generators can be insulated. In the back the AC (which is ducted) makes more noise that we hear than the generator. Our generator is completely encased and well sound insulated. It also runs at constant RPM which IMHO reduces noise.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2002 Fleetwood Terra (F53 V10 gasser). It's not the bottom of the line and certainly no where near the top. I suspect there's considerable insulation with other years / makes / models.

So I line the doghouse with Thermo-Tec insulation. It helped some (heat and noise) but still find my voice is a bit hoarse when we arrive at our destination. I usually travel with racing buddies who are much noisier than the DW. You can listen for so long but eventually you have to talk . . . with force. Over 4 - 5 (or 10) hours it adds up.

I looked at lining the firewall and bottom of cockpit with something. It looks pretty difficult to do. Easy if you're in a manufacturing stage, difficult with finished product.

Maybe I should have my Line-X buddy just shoot the whole thing, fuses, hoses and all . . . . . ๐Ÿ˜„

I wanted a DP when we were looking. Now I know why. A DP wasn't in the budget.

Best,
- bob

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've owned 5 class A, front-engined motorhomes. I've owned ONE diesel pusher. BUT, I selected one with two 15,000 btu ROOF air conditioners which are DUCTED. Equally as important is that I selected one with a FRONT-mounted QUIET diesel generator. It also has a side-mounted radiator with a large hydraulic-motored fan.
With regard to topic questions,.....there is NO COMPARISON.
BTW on mine, engine heat in the bedroom (while underway and when I park it) has never been a problem.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I don't understand all the loud noise from a gasser? I guess a lot of RVers drive in complete silence?

Try having a conversation when the clutch fan kicks in. You have to yell to be heard by the person in the other seat. I wished for colder days so the natural convection would be enough to cool the rad. Doubly bad when you're pulling a hill in a lower gear and the fan comes on.

I don't know what coach you have but my wife and I routinely hold normal conversations while underway under all conditions in our F53/V10 powered Landau. Can we hear the engine? Certainly, but it isn't loud enough to be an issue. I don't know if a previous owner added any additional sound insulation, but this coach is much quieter than our previous F53/V8 powered coach
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I don't understand all the loud noise from a gasser? I guess a lot of RVers drive in complete silence?

Try having a conversation when the clutch fan kicks in. You have to yell to be heard by the person in the other seat. I wished for colder days so the natural convection would be enough to cool the rad. Doubly bad when you're pulling a hill in a lower gear and the fan comes on.

You may have a point for the 1% of the time when the clutch is engaged. :R
Most of the time the gas engine coaches are cruising along at normal highway speeds and conversation is not a problem with the passenger.
All through the Western mountains I could still hear the DW telling me when to turn, slow down, stop here, how much longer, etc. :B

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
J-Rooster wrote:

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
After working on my AVCO I am convinced that ALL motorhomes should have the engine in the rear. it is such a pain in the a$$ to work on a front engine motorhome and my buses are much easier to reach the engine. and I have a 40 foot Flxible that is almost converted and I don't hear the engine much and it is a Detroit 8v71. It's 40 feet behind me but still not loud. The AVCO is loud when you start out. That carb is loud. I like the engines in the rear. just me.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend Roger (he's a RV.Net Poster) and he shares the driving with his wife. They own a DP Winnebago Journey and when there on the road and he's not driving he can't sleep because the diesel engine is too loud! He insulated the diesel engine compartment under his bed and he told me that didn't help very much and when the Jake Brake was applied it rattled him out of bed. I don't understand all the loud noise from a gasser? I guess a lot of RVers drive in complete silence? I have my coach stereo CD system on moderately when driving and I don't recall a lot of engine noise! I know Winnebago and Monaco both built rear end gas engines at one time.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check with Rexhall at:

http://www.rexhall.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=2&Itemid=5

They may still have a few used Workhorse UFO rear engine gas coaches.

Best of luck
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad