cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fueling up on trips

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tow a 30 foot TT and always face the issue of finding a filling station where we can get in, fill up and get out. So many places have pumps close to their buildings with access to all but maybe one outside pump impossible to use. Flying Js are the worst offenders in my area.
So ... we were thinking of going to a diesel pusher so we could use the truck lanes. But that got me to thinking.
What do gasoline powered Class As and larger Class Cs do about this problem of pump access?
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
34 REPLIES 34

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a round trip, trip, then I watch for places to stop on the way, so I can catch a good easy in/out station on the way back.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Personally I don't think it would be worth trading to a diesel because of the issues.

Me neither. My wife is the one who becomes irritated by all the issues associated with fueling in unknown situations. And when Momma ain't happy ...
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
'tiredTeacher wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I own a gas coach and I never have had a problem getting in or out of a gas station that cars go into.

Then by all means, come drive I-95 from Virginia to Florida. Better still, try the Sheetz at Fort Chiswell on I-81.

I have used that one several times. as I recall, the RV pump is sort of situated on the right side and does take a little wiggling around to use it.
bumpy

Sheetz stores are not universally RV friendly. In particular for gas coaches or those towing trailers. Over the years they have rebuilt or replaced stores and gone to the pump layout where they are perpendicular to the store rather than parallel. Not the best for us.

With our diesel we use the Sheetz at Mt. Jackson, VA on I-81 often and it works well since it is one of only two in their system that has truck fueling islands seperate from everything else. Over the years a lot of our travels have been up and down the easc coast so we have found the stops that work best for us and use them over and over. When we get into new territory it is hit and miss as to easy access and finding the best prices. We all learn as we go.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I own a gas coach and I never have had a problem getting in or out of a gas station that cars go into.

Then by all means, come drive I-95 from Virginia to Florida. Better still, try the Sheetz at Fort Chiswell on I-81.

I have used that one several times. as I recall, the RV pump is sort of situated on the right side and does take a little wiggling around to use it.
bumpy

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I use a copy of The Next Exit which highlights the RV friendly stops in red. also when passing exits we try to see if the stations there appear to be usable and note them down in the book.
bumpy

DITTO! Foreknowledge is better than hindsight.... :C

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
You're right about the problem but one learns how to plan and cope. You just have to not let the tank get much below a half and slow way down and check out the situation before you pull in. If in doubt, pass and go to the next one. I try to find an outside pump with a fool proof escape route. In addition to the problems mentioned I also have to look out for little hills because I have a 4 in. drop hitch on the MH and will drag easily.Personally I don't think it would be worth trading to a diesel because of the issues.
Jayco-noslide

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
...So my original question is answered. Everyone driving a gasser has to deal with the same problems I am.

that's just not true. have you tried using the RV lanes at Flying J?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
pigman1 wrote:
I don't want to be a troll about this, but if you're having trouble getting in and out of a Flying J you really need to seriously upgrade your RV driving skills.

You, and some of the other folks, misunderstand. I plan ahead. I use Google maps before setting out. We scout stations before pulling in. We use outside lanes, wait for outside lanes, block lanes when necessary, all that stuff. And I can back my TT down an alley and park it anywhere I want. I stored it at a place where I had to put it through a 9 foot opening gate.
So my original question is answered. Everyone driving a gasser has to deal with the same problems I am. So I need to get a diesel (with a big filler opening).
Thanks all.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
J-Rooster wrote:

Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
It's really pretty simple. If you are below 1/2 tank or so, and you see a station with easy access, you stop. When you wait until the tank is near empty and you have to stop, then your choices will be limited.

That's my point. I don't want to stop every 150 miles.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Two Jayhawks wrote:
To the OP....I completely agree with you as I had similar experiences with my first coach years ago. My 95 Bounder was 36' but diesel and that made it challenging. This is because it excluded me from truck stops as it only had the small fuel fill. So I mostly used mom & pop stations that typically only had a single diesel fuel pump. Looking back I should have had it modified. Regardless we are 43' plus now and use truck stops exclusively and it is much easier.

I agree. I use trucks stops Exclusively as well simply because there are no access issues. For me easy fueling access is a advantage for diesel users
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP....I completely agree with you as I had similar experiences with my first coach years ago. My 95 Bounder was 36' but diesel and that made it challenging. This is because it excluded me from truck stops as it only had the small fuel fill. So I mostly used mom & pop stations that typically only had a single diesel fuel pump. Looking back I should have had it modified. Regardless we are 43' plus now and use truck stops exclusively and it is much easier.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
malexander wrote:

You just have to plan ahead. Not saying pre-trip plan. Just look over the station you're about to, or want to pull into and make sure you can get out BEFORE you get into a situation you can't get out of.

Sounds good in theory, but not always possible. Twice, I've pulled into stations that appeared to be pull through, and have found I had to turn around or back out. Not impossible, but they were rather tight with a TT.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 39 foot diesel pusher with a toad. I stick to the truck stops. I use Flying J when I can because I have their card and I can pay at the pump. I have used smaller stations but I always check them out using Google Earth to make sure I have plenty of room.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star