cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full-Timing...what's your opinion...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
I admit that the thought of full-timing has some appeal but, for me, not enough to make the plunge. In no way should this post infer nor in anyway suggest that those who full-time are wrong in their decisions to move in that direction. My decision not to full-time has to do with my need for a 'place of roots', family doctors, family living in the area of the 'sticks and bricks' and simply the unknown of such a drastic life style change. Now to the purpose of this post: I would like to hear back from those of you who feel, as I, that full-timing is not in the cards for you and your reasons for those decisions. Thanks! / Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
47 REPLIES 47

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
We toyed with the Idea of FT after we sold our S&B farm 2 summers ago. We looked at trading the MH for a 5er and then as we looked more deeply we bought a S&B on a small lot in the city. Golf friends, Church and other interests are too hard for us to forgo completely. About 5-6 weeks at a time and some short trips in between are satisfying the wander itch at this point. Who knows what the future may bring
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I were out for 8 months a little over year ago. It was the "trip of a lifetime". But we are not full timers. I have no desire not to be without a S&B house. As we get older we need a support system. A full timing lifestyle in no way provides that (despite what others may post).

I should mention that a support system could be your neighbors, church congregation, or relatives.

I'll gladly do maintenance on my home for some peace of mind-and then hit the road for as little or long as we like.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We sold our house and quite a bit of our "stuff", fully intending to fulltime, but we did hang on to our lakeside cottage. Our initial thinking was that we would use it as a storage place for the items we wanted to keep, and also that it would be there for our kids to use, since the annual costs are not very much. As it turned out, my wife's health took a down turn, and we've ended up spending more time at the cottage than we really want to for doctor's visits, treatments, etc. We do have a full hookup site for the coach there though, so most of the time when we're there, we don't even bother to move inside, we just continue living in the motorhome. When we are out on the road, as we are right now, our usual conversations on the way back to the cottage are about where we want to head next, and how soon we'll be able to go.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
We have our S&B and would never think of getting rid of it and going FT. We do travel about 7 months of the year, but love coming home. Our grandkids are here (forget the daughter LOL) and our time with them in our house is reason enough to have our house. We have our other toys here at the house that we use in the summer. We have many outbuilding that would be very difficult to give up. I also would never consider getting rid of "MY STUFF" We also know that someday we will not be able to travel (could be for health or old age) and at that time we do not want to only have our MH to live in. It is an added burden to have to maintain the S&B and and although we do not have a mortgage, there are definitely costs associated with owning it, but as long as we can handle both, we will keep both. If it ever came to having to do one or the other, we would give up the MH as our S&B is the most important to us. We have been traveling the 6 or 7 months of the year for 6 years and have seen so much of this country. Would not make any difference if we were FT or just traveling around half the year.

A long explanation

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 39' MH with 3 slides. After a couple of months it gets smaller and smaller. I miss my work shop, hobby room, land and gardens. Full timing is not for me.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pretty simple solution....DO BOTH !

We sold almost everything...had a 'living' estate sale. Gave the kids what they wanted, sold most of what they didn't want and gave the rest away to charity. We then changed our resident state from California to South Dakota, bought our current coach and a mobile home in Arizona. Put enough left over furniture, tools, etc. in the mobile. Since we winter in AZ anyway, we're there 2-3 months of the year. Having the mobile lets us get out of the coach, allows me to do yearly maintenance, have any necessary repairs done to the coach and do any modifications I feel is appropriate. While we are in AZ, we have all our annual medicals/dentals done including the dog. By 3 months we are chomping at the bit to hit the road again. The mobile is looked after by neighbors and mgmt while we're away. IMHO, we have the best of both worlds......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

paintedtugboat
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
I admit that the thought of full-timing has some appeal but, for me, not enough to make the plunge. In no way should this post infer nor in anyway suggest that those who full-time are wrong in their decisions to move in that direction. My decision not to full-time has to do with my need for a 'place of roots', family doctors, family living in the area of the 'sticks and bricks' and simply the unknown of such a drastic life style change. Now to the purpose of this post: I would like to hear back from those of you who feel, as I, that full-timing is not in the cards for you and your reasons for those decisions. Thanks! / Larry

This clearly sounds like a cry for help. You want justification for NOT being a full-timer. You need help, my friend. Deep down inside you really want go! You want others to pat you on the back for not having the courage to do what you really want to do. Buck-up! Just do it! There is a whole new adventure waiting for you! Home is where you park it. You can do this!

If you really prefer "stick and brick" living, then why did you post this?
Bob and Joan Alexander
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH (Phaeth)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport (Hope)
Lobo & Juniper
Full-timers since 2014

http://www.phaethtofulltime.com/

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We aren't currently but have discussed it even as we purchased our first class A DP. Originally we were all for it. But over the last year it seems like it will be more of half and half, keeping the S&B to come back too in the summer.

The first couple years might be more full timing as there is a lot we want to see, slowing down after that.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We gave full timing serious consideration when we sold the house. We decided that we had hobbies that we really enjoy that would not work in an RV. We also like a sense of community and knowing the neighbors. Therefore, we purchased a house with an RV garage and we travel when we want. It is working out well for us.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are happy being half timers. With all of the children and Grands in the same town NO WAY would we consider FT. Add all the toys, shop, a great place to live I sometime question ever half time. OK, three months in SE Fla during the winter is pretty nice. Guess a lot depends on how happy you are we're you live.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

botts12
Explorer
Explorer
7 1/2 years ago we sold our home and all our belongings and hit the road. We have traveled to almost every state, spent a summer in Alaska, another summer in Canada, done some work camping and have visited almost every national park. In the past year though we found ourselves spending more and more time in one area with less moving around. We have now decided to try renting a villa in The Villages, Fl where there are lots of activities and good medical care. We are not selling the RV as we plan to RV with friends and also make golfing trips and trips with our grandchildren. However, now that our "moving all the time" days have slowed, we decided to give settling down a try. Our reason for full time rving was to see the country and we have extensively traveled doing that. So now we will see how this goes. If we find we still have wanderlust, it is back to the RV.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I think full timing would be very exciting, but not for us because of all the reasons mentioned. I know some do it after retirement to find a place they would like to eventually live.

I just couldn't carry all of my garage with me and it would make me crazy.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I retired in 2005 we sold out completely in California and went for it. We always kept enough money from our home sale to go back to a home at some time. After five great years of full timing we bought our current home in Yuma and a lot in the Northwest and are seasonal travelers now. Try to have an exit strategy before you jump, just in case. I don't know your age but I was 53, if I was much older I'm not so sure we would have done it?
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I have no desire.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I can certainly see the interest in full timing but we like a 'home base'. We have SO much stuff that we would need to to get rid of that we enjoyed collecting over the years. We have 'maintenance' people taking care of the houses so that part is not an issue for us to get back home when traveling.

But, if the full-time bug ever hit, I would buy a RV lot at the MotorCoach Resort in Las Vegas or the MotorCoach Resort in Indio, CA., to have somewhat of a home base. The place in Indio will let you have a Casita which would be nice if the coach is in service or needed an extended repair. In Las Vegas, they don't allow enclosed casita's although there is one that has been built which is amazing that includes a living room, dining room and kitchen (w/huge glass windows).

So, I'll keep my rental garage for now and go traveling monthly like have been doing.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins