Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas station air pumps

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi
Always seem to be having problems finding gas stations with high volume and pressure air pumps for tires (80 psi). How does everyone else get on?
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com
23 REPLIES 23

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dual voltage inflator. 12 volt dc or 120 VAC so it can be used anywhere. Works well and much quieter than my prior one. 80 psi on a pickup tire as fast as the quarter snatchers at a gas station. Never tried it for 120psi but its rated for 130.

$50 at Lowes
Kobalt inflator

It also has a set and walkaway ability, it will shut off at whatever pressure you set.
I wouldn't expect it to last for years in a commercial shop, but for occasional use it seems to do well.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
A cheap Walmart inflator is rated for 130 psi.

Just buy one and carry it with you. You'll alway need one. The other, to always check balanced air pressures on all your tires after several hundred miles or in severely fluctuating weather conditions.

They say 130 psi, but if you need to add more than a couple pounds to a large tire you'll be waiting for a very long time (and the cheap inflators are not designed or rated for continuous usage). Even a standard car tire takes a decent length of time to inflate with one of them. The high pressure rating is perhaps useful with things like road bicycles where the volume of air required is pretty minimal.

I carry a small 120V compressor, a Fini AirBoss, which does very nicely at putting air in the tires while not being too large or heavy.

That's funny! As a "just in case" I bought one of those +130 psi 12 V. battery powered portable compressors (with clamps) at WalMart. Well, the need finally did arise and I wanted to top off my one of my 19.5" Goodyear G670's from 80 to 85 psi. After 10 minutes I was up a whopping 2 psi. That's when the brand new "compressor" started to struggle. First came the electrical burning smell, . . . . then the smoke. Then, . . . . it was all over. I returned the compressor the next day. No questions asked.

Chum lee

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Just buy one and carry it with you. You'll alway need one. The other, to always check balanced air pressures on all your tires after several hundred miles or in severely fluctuating weather conditions.

They say 130 psi, but if you need to add more than a couple pounds to a large tire you'll be waiting for a very long time (and the cheap inflators are not designed or rated for continuous usage). Even a standard car tire takes a decent length of time to inflate with one of them. The high pressure rating is perhaps useful with things like road bicycles where the volume of air required is pretty minimal.

I carry a small 120V compressor, a Fini AirBoss, which does very nicely at putting air in the tires while not being too large or heavy.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I use a 12 volt MV-50 inflator (amazon). Not as fast as a 175psi service station but I can fill at my leisure right at camp or just a few minutes on the road if needed.

If you consider a 12v get one that clamps on the battery only. Anything with a cigar plug is weak.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry a Sears Craftsman tankless 2hp compressor. It takes up minimal space and will air up my 22.5 tires in a couple of minutes. I've had it for several years and don't know if Sears even sells this one anymore.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carry one with you.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a "truck stop" to buy your fuel and air up, or, go to the truck lane in the gas stations where you fuel up. Generally, you'll find that the compressors used for auto applications are for just that. Autos. They lack the compressed air storage capacity to fill larger higher volume/pressure tires found on trucks. Or, buy your own compressor so you can fill elsewhere at your convenience.

Chum lee

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Battery operated Ryobi air pump before every travel day keeps my tires aired up. Recharge via TVโ€™s 110 plug. So many gas station pumps are broken, blocked etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad