cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Winnebago mechanical questions

weschaney
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, new to the forum here. I purchased a 37ft 1997 Winnebago with a Ford 460 power plant recently and have been restoring it. Was curious if you guys wouldn't mind laying some knowledge on me, I have a few general questions. The generator is a gas oanan 6500. I got it running yesterday and let it run for about 45 min. Is the generator supposed to charge the house batterys? Just installed two new 6 volt batterys and they are drained down to about 10 volts now.

With the generator running the A/C came on, but it does not blow cold, do these units use freon?

I noticed after I park some gear oil leaks onto the inside of the right rear tire, I'm guessing is a bad axle seal. Anyone know what type of gear oil this rear takes? 80/90?

The check engine light is on, but I can't for the life of me find the OBDII port, anyone know its location?

Thank you, Wes
24 REPLIES 24

weschaney
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Your Dana 80 differential takes 75W140 synthetics. There is a tag under one of the cover bolts that will confirm what I said. Ford recommended gear oil change on your chassis at 100,000 miles. Your rear hub seal can be changed in 2 hours or less. Don't get over charged. 96 F53 chassis has the power booster/master cylinder mounted on the left frame rail. 97 f53 chassis will have it mounted on the fire wall.
Dutch_12078 has it correct about your OBD I port. Ford F53s didn't get OBD II until the introduction of the V10.

Richard

thank you, what part store do you recommend to get the seal?

weschaney
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated.
all outlets and electrical house components work when generator is running, just isn't charging the batteries. batteries do not charge when hooked to shore power either. Ill try to find he converter.

Im checking the diff fluid today, its a slow leak out the axle seal, will replace it myself asap. Is there a parts store you guys use specific to MH's?

will pick up some GL5 today.

The A/C, if the units are toast, wheres best place to find new ones?

As a full time RVer is it best to run the fridge off the LP? or off the batteries? In the dark on how to keep fridge cool 24/7. any insight is appreciated .

Ill keep you guys updated, THANK YOU!

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Your Dana 80 differential takes 75W140 synthetics. There is a tag under one of the cover bolts that will confirm what I said. Ford recommended gear oil change on your chassis at 100,000 miles. Your rear hub seal can be changed in 2 hours or less. Don't get over charged. 96 F53 chassis has the power booster/master cylinder mounted on the left frame rail. 97 f53 chassis will have it mounted on the fire wall.
Dutch_12078 has it correct about your OBD I port. Ford F53s didn't get OBD II until the introduction of the V10.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, my mechanic tells me not to mess with the rear differential oil unless there is a seal leak, but I would think that any standard oil would do

answers like this help no one.No good mechanic would say such.
its very prudent on a new to him MH especially if it leaks to check
condition of and amount of gear oil in said unit
what is standard oil? I already told him exactly what oil would be used GL5
Regarding batterys two six volts will work fine but if space is limited and wont fit Four 6 volts then 2 twelves would be a better choice for sure

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck with your new rig. With some TLC, you'll have back up and running soon.
My OBD is under the doghouse cover on the left side, with a black weather cover that makes it hard to identify at first.
FWIW, my mechanic tells me not to mess with the rear differential oil unless there is a seal leak, but I would think that any standard oil would do. Dirty job, so good luck.
Don't forget to lube the drive shaft zerks and well as the front lube points. There are about 13 front end zerks, and I keep map of them to review before I get under the rig with the grease gun.
Please remember to weigh your rig. Mine is on a 18000 pound chassis and is running pretty much at max. I also have 16" tires, and they are the weak link in the chassis system.
You may have an air bag support, and I run mine at 50 psi. Check your rear sway bar bushings, as they wear quickly and can add to the natural wander of the F53 chassis. Ford no longer supports those bushings, but I found some after-market suppliers on eBay.
I would recommend you review whether your rig was designed for 6v coach batteries. I use 2 large 12v deep-cycle batteries from WalMart on mine, and water them up every four months or so with distilled water.
Welcome, and enjoy the new experience!
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
weschaney wrote:
Hi guys, new to the forum here. I purchased a 37ft 1997 Winnebago with a Ford 460 power plant recently and have been restoring it. Was curious if you guys wouldn't mind laying some knowledge on me, I have a few general questions. The generator is a gas oanan 6500. I got it running yesterday and let it run for about 45 min. Is the generator supposed to charge the house batterys? Just installed two new 6 volt batterys and they are drained down to about 10 volts now.

With the generator running the A/C came on, but it does not blow cold, do these units use freon?

I noticed after I park some gear oil leaks onto the inside of the right rear tire, I'm guessing is a bad axle seal. Anyone know what type of gear oil this rear takes? 80/90?

The check engine light is on, but I can't for the life of me find the OBDII port, anyone know its location?

Thank you, Wes

OBD-2 port should be center lower dash area
Generator will run converter which will charge batterys
Best check the system and see what voltage is at the battery when
gen set running.run engine and see also as alternator should also
charge house batterys
80/90 or 75/140 GL5 but best fix the seal!!
Roof AC usually non serviceable Freon wise and replace entire unit
if that's what the problem is

1fastdad
Explorer
Explorer
The A/C units are simaler to a home window unit.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
A '97 Ford F53 chassis like yours does not have an OBDII port. The OBDI port is usually located inside the engine cover opposite the accelerator pedal.

And, your 97 Winnebago is possibly built on a 96 chassis.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
A '97 Ford F53 chassis like yours does not have an OBDII port. The OBDI port is usually located inside the engine cover opposite the accelerator pedal.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.
The generator should charge the house batteries. Is the generator supplying power to the outlets and 120 volt appliances?
If not, Check the breakers on the generator. Turn them off and back on, don't just look to see if they kicked.

Do the batteries charge when plugged into shore power?
If not, check the for breakers/fuses on the power converter.
Maybe you have a bad converter.

Use a multimeter to see if you're getting power from the generator and to the batteries.

First, I would remove and clean the battery terminals and connections. A little corrosion, even if you can't see it, can cause problems.

I don't know where your converter is located. In our 96 Southwind it's under the refrigerator.

Let us know if you find the problem.