cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Itasca Meridian 39K with Cummins 6.7

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting close to purchasing a very nice 2008 Itasca Meridian model 39K with the 6.7 liter Cummins engine with 45,000 miles on it.

Can anyone comment as to whether this will have adequate power to tow my 4000 pound jeep through the mountains out west?

Thanks in advance
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy
16 REPLIES 16

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
3126 or C7, I have not inspected the engine. I only have read the owners manual which says both on the cover. I do not know how to tell the difference. Let me know how so I will know what I own.

Bruce_Brown
FIRE UP wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
3126, C7 - potato, potatoe

Same church, different pew. :B

While you're somewhat correct, there are differences in the two engines. I was simply inquiring if he DOES IN FACT have a DESIGNATED 3126 in a coach THREE YEARS NEWER than the year it was last reported being installed in.
Scott

True. I guess when I read the year and 3126 I knew he was talking about a C7. When we bought our '03 it was one of the last 3126s Newmar installed in a MH so I knew the pipeline was about empty. If I remember correctly some of the '03s had C7s in them. I couldn't imagine there would be any true 3126s around 3 years later.

Then again our '08 has an '06 spec Cummins in in so anything is possible.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:

While you're somewhat correct, there are differences in the two engines. I was simply inquiring if he DOES IN FACT have a DESIGNATED 3126 in a coach THREE YEARS NEWER than the year it was last reported being installed in.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Things I've never said in life: I have too much horsepower.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6.7 and 700 ftlb torque and have no issues towing a 4700 lb Traverse, I think you will be fine. Besides even if you had 600 HP and 1800 ft lbs, you probably won't be able to get around the guy in front of you going up the mountain at 45 mph.
Comming down the other side we can all do the same speed. LoL!
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've come to understand the 6.7 was recently upgraded to 360HP/800FtLb and it has some mount of get up and go. It is also now generally coupled with an Allison 3000. If you have the older configuration with 340 HP/600FtLbs and a 2500 Trans, you may experience slow go on hills. you should also check the GVWR and the GCWR to make sure you are not over loaded.

On long hills, regardless you want to be in what ever gear you need to be in at what ever speed that give you in order to keep your RPMs at or slightly above 2000. This should provide the airflow you need to keep it cool. It may mean you go up certain hills at 30mph.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Looked up the brochure for the 2008 Meridian. Didn't see a 39K but there is a 39Z.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Bruce_Brown

Bruce & Jill Brown

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
You state your '07 Itasca is sporting a "3126"? Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP engine. I've always been lead to believe that around 'Sept - Oct of '03 was the change-over from the CAT 3126 series to the C-7 series and, it was C-7 from that point on. So, yours is the first one of that year that is reported with the 3126 engine that I've read of.
Scott
He's goin' old school... ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Ro646a wrote:
I am getting close to purchasing a very nice 2008 Itasca Meridian model 39K with the 6.7 liter Cummins engine with 45,000 miles on it.

Can anyone comment as to whether this will have adequate power to tow my 4000 pound jeep through the mountains out west?

Thanks in advance

Think about like this - Good Milage - Good on the Flat highway - Slow up the hills.

Sort of the a full sized car with an economy sized engine.

For some this is a deal breaker - for others this is the Deal Maker.

When I had my Coach built the standard engine was 600 HP - I had mine built on a lighter chassis with a smaller engine - 400hp. I'm happy and have never looked back.

So IMHO it will work for many but not for some - you just need to know/understand what you are getting. Why have a great big engine if you are going to park it most of the time, and you live in Florida? On the other hand if you live in the keys and are going to the far side of the Rockies for most of your travels and never parking the unit then you might want to think about it a little more, No real answer here just a lot of choices.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
A few mods and you will add almost 200 reliable horsepower. Take it to a reputable diesel shop in your area and they can take care of you. My ram 6.7 has near 500 whp and 278k miles. Do your homework and you can significantly increase it's performance.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
KCFDCapt wrote:
I have a 2007 Itasca 39K with the Cat 350 HP 3126 engine. I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains and travel Hwy 395 to Reno frequently. You will not pull Sherwin Grade or top Conway Summit at the legal speed limit. I tow a Ford Explorer behind ours and always say I will be there when we get there. The speed up these grades is around 40 MPH. It is not floored, but I like to allow a margin for the engine to be cool. I have a rear radiator in my coach.

Hope this helps. We are pleased with the coach and its performance.

KCFDCapt,
Ex FD huh? Me too. Anyway, just wondering. You state your '07 Itasca is sporting a "3126"? Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP engine. I've always been lead to believe that around 'Sept - Oct of '03 was the change-over from the CAT 3126 series to the C-7 series and, it was C-7 from that point on. So, yours is the first one of that year that is reported with the 3126 engine that I've read of.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Bruce_Brown
^^^ This goes directly with what Ivydog posted; your 350 HP Cat has a fair bit more torque than the 350 HP ISB Cummins in question.

As has been a hundred times, HP sells but torque is what gets the job done. I'll take more torque every time.
Bruce & Jill Brown

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Itasca 39K with the Cat 350 HP 3126 engine. I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains and travel Hwy 395 to Reno frequently. You will not pull Sherwin Grade or top Conway Summit at the legal speed limit. I tow a Ford Explorer behind ours and always say I will be there when we get there. The speed up these grades is around 40 MPH. It is not floored, but I like to allow a margin for the engine to be cool. I have a rear radiator in my coach.

Hope this helps. We are pleased with the coach and its performance.