cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator issue

dperkinstx
Explorer
Explorer
I cranked my generator, then turned on my A/C. The A/C didn't come on. So I pulled out and plugged in my power cord and tried my A/C again. This time it worked. Something's going on with my A/C. Is there a fuse or switch I need to check? There's a panel with fuses under my dinette seat. Is there something in there that could be malfunctioning?
23 REPLIES 23

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
several posters were describing the need on some rigs to plug generator into coach for OP, so i did not.

lf unaware that it is setup that way, you would never think of it.

mine has automatic transfer. a couple years back, as a 7 yr RV veteran, i tried to help a recently widowed friend get her 2007 four winds generator to power stuff once started. i gave up, came home, and came to these forums overnite and called her the next day with the news.

i think it is a pretty reasonable idea...it forces the owner to recognize that AC comes only from a big powerline: shore or genset. no powerline, no AC. thus, the owner also learns what a house battery can and can not work. i think OP could thus have more quickly realized why the microwave was also not working.

when he said this, i was going to post and note which other things he ought to test that were likewise not DC, so that air-conditioner could be ruled out and a focus on genset was needed.

but a good lesson is learned.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you got it figured out! There's a lot to remember with an RV, especially if you just started --OR-- don't use it often.

Seems very inconsistent, which builders/models use ATS and which use the Outlet Method. I consider Winnebago to be a higher line product than Jayco, yet our entry level Jayco has an ATS. Benefits/Drawbacks

ATS - Convenience/Mechanical Failure Point, Troubleshooting Difficult

Outlet - Simple, Reliable, Simplifies Troubleshooting/Inconvenient, Forgettable

This is a checklist item you won't forget again! But there'll be more. Happy Camping!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it was an easy fix. I just replaced the breaker on my generator myself. It rattled itself lose and then broke. I wish everything on an RV was that easy to fix. 😉

tioga28c
Explorer
Explorer
my gfi some times trips in the bathroom . i reset and all is OK 2012 coachman 28ft
i also had to fix the energizer to the gen field.

tioga28c
Explorer
Explorer
my gfi some times trips in the bathroom . i reset and all is OK 2012 coachman 28ft

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
dperkinstx wrote:
Well, I feel foolish. I'm a first time RVer and have only had this one since January. Can I claim rookie mistake?

I found out the ATS is Me! There's an electric box inside the compartment where the shore line cord is. The generator powers that box. I have to plug my shore line cord into that box when using the generator. The click I remember hearing must have been the cooling fan (under the dinette seat) coming on.

I'm the ATS in mine too.
But the dealer made a point of driving that home. Several times he said, "Start the generator, then plug the cord in..."

🙂

dperkinstx
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I feel foolish. I'm a first time RVer and have only had this one since January. Can I claim rookie mistake?

I found out the ATS is Me! There's an electric box inside the compartment where the shore line cord is. The generator powers that box. I have to plug my shore line cord into that box when using the generator. The click I remember hearing must have been the cooling fan (under the dinette seat) coming on.

dperkinstx
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Did your tech replace the ATS? If so, did he give you an instruction sheet? Can you post Make/Model of your ATS?

Starting to sound like the ATS doesn't "see" that the genset is running.

Have you looked under the dinette, seen if it's the ATS, looked for loose wires?

Safety first! Unplug the shore tie and don't be running the genset while you poke around...

I have an Onan 4000 GenSet generator and MagneTek Power Plus 6300 A series, model 6332 Power Converter with battery charger. The power converter is the box under my dinette. Is the ATS built into this unit? The only other thing under my dinette seat is the heater.

I found the breaker switch on the side of the generator and toggled it (per j-d suggestion).

I tried starting the generator from the switch at the generator. I also tried starting the generator using the switch on the vent hood over the stove. I waited at least 60 seconds every time before trying the A/C. It never came on. I also noticed the clock on the microwave isn't on.

I tried pressing the start button on the vent hood while the generator was running (per ofdpos suggestion). No help.

Looking back, I vaguely remember starting the generator, then a few seconds later, hearing a click from under the dinette seat. I'm not hearing that click now. I'm thinking the ATS isn't switching over.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If you shut off the air conditioner and attempt to turn it back on immediately, the blower part may turn on but the compressor won't. You may have to wait 5-10 minutes for the compressor to start. So if you have been running the AC on shore power and shut it off, then start the generator immediately, the AC compressor may not be "ready" to run and needs to rest for some time before restarting.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spring loaded Stop-RUN-Start Switch. Default is RUN and in that position, it keeps Ignition and Fuel ON, along with all manner of "safeties." Might be checking for RPM, Oil Pressure or Level, AC and perhaps 12VDC voltage etc. etc.

Our old ONAN BFA didn't have a Starter Motor. The Armature incorporated a Start Winding along with appropriate Brushes. Elegant but risky and expensive. If that winding fails, gennie-no-crankee, and it's a $thousands Armature instead of a $50 starter from Amazon. Still, no Starter Drive/Pinion to worry about damaging against the Flywheel by hitting Start when it was already running. I used to hold the BFA in Start till its running steadied up. Reluctant to do that with our newer 4KY with Starter and Plastic Pinion Gear.

In Start, the genset gets Fuel, Ignition, Starter and not much more. Stays that way till released to RUN, when all the safeties kick in. So... hitting Start probably re-boots all the safeties and they might just find themselves and get producing.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Ok lets see if I can explain this without confusing everybody ! lol
I had an 01 CQ Sport with a Generac 3600. with the ATS.
I had a microwave plugged in all the time and when I would start the Gen after about 10-15 seconds the light (clock/timer) on the microwave would come on and ding.
I knew the gen was working, I would then turn whatever else on.
No rhyme or reason the ATS or ?? wouldn't work and I had no output from the Gen.
Stopped at CW back East on our trip , the tech guy said if I fire up the Gen and it doesn't work, shut it off and fire it right back up. They had problems with I believe the voltage regulator module. I tried what he said a few more times on our trip but sometimes it worked others it didn't. So when we got back home I ordered 1 and changed it out , didn't help.
Finally took the MH up to guy that works on just about anything.
He said he had seen this same problem before.
Now he said to "if it acts up again to push the starter button just for a second or two , it won't fully engage the starter BUT it does send a signal to ??

It did it again on our next outing, I pushed the starter button just like he said and wala the power came on. I did that about 3-4 more times before I sold it. Told the new owner that and if he didn't believe me I gave him the guys #.

So might try that and see ?

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
"I would love for this to be the issue. It's supposed to rain all week, so I'll check as soon as I get the opportunity."

As already stated just make sure your are unplugged from shore power before starting the generator. Also make sure the HVAC is off among with other items. It is always a good idea to check the easy stuff first.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 on the generator-mounted circuit breaker. As you face the generator's Start/Stop switch, look to the right. It's "around the corner." And hard to read which is On and which is Off. They don't go into a released position like most breakers. Looks and acts like a switch but it's a breaker.