cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Shut off when key on bypass

Mr__Coach
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I am wondering where the solenoid would be to bypass the front tv shutting off when you start the engine? I have a 2000 Damen intruder 349 ford chassis. It's not that I want to watch tv while driving it's just that the rear and front tv are connected to the same dvd player and my kids want to watch a movie while traveling in the back bedroom. I do hear a clicking in the front somewhere every time I turn on the engine key and then I loose power to the tv and dvd player in the front. What would this solenoid look like? And how can I bypass it? Or is it easier just to purchase another dvd player and put it on the tv in the back? I really don't want to do that as I like the both of them connected together on the same dvd player.. Any help would be appreciated..
To go or not to go, that is the question, "I think, Maybe"
19 REPLIES 19

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
Switch plugs or run small extension to another plug. Having it on and watching it are two different things in my opinion and as stated earlier!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One other thing.. At one time I did SAT TV with a rooftop in-motion DOME.

Being able to turn on the blang TV to insure I had a signal when setting up would have been nice (I have an alternate way to do it but.. Still.. Would have been nice).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
The moral police is one of the reasons I slowed my visits here. Over and over the same thing. I disabled my first coach and none of the others had one. I leave the engine running to air level and I also want to see if the satellite can see thru the trees and yes the TV is on the engine is on and when I am set i shut off the engine.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

hardint
Explorer
Explorer
It belongs to YOU so switch outlets, snip the 12 volt feed and be happy !!! Someone is always judging others in this life !!! God will Judge them in the final moments ........
He ask a question not for a Sermon !!!!

Mr__Coach
Explorer
Explorer
OK!!! Wow a lot of your RVers are liking to put the law behind everything. As I stated in my OP the tv will not be used up front but the dvd player will be as it is connected to the tv in the back of the RV. And If I so choose to run the tv in the front as well it is my choice, although I as a driver cannot see the tv from where I sit but some of my passengers might want to view it as we travel. There were only a couple of good responses to this post, snip the wire or replace the outlet box. I like the snip the wire one, I might look into that..
To go or not to go, that is the question, "I think, Maybe"

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
or snip the 12 volt line going to the outlet box

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Our first motorhome, there was a relay built into the TV outlet.
Some un-law-abiding heathen may have removed it and swapped it for a standard duplex outlet purchased from home depot for less than a dollar.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
dubdub07 wrote:

Thank goodness, the moral police have shown up. My own critical thinking skills are just not good enough. I must come on the Rv.net forum for the voice of reason!

So, your honor, we do it for the sound. The 25 feet the other TV is away from the dinette makes it hard to hear over road noise. We travel with 6 so both are on. I cannot even see the front TV from my driving chair.

We need a large sample. 30 or more RVs that have front TVs on and the percentage of accidents due to such fact.

You did not read all my post

I have no problem with you breaking the law in this manner so long as you understand you are breaking the law.. In fact it means more money for my employer to pay by retirment with.

But I'd feel bad if you took my advice on moving the plug to get the TV to work and then got ticked because you did not know the law.

That is why I warn you... In this case it is the only reason

On many motor homes (not mine) I can feed audio through the home theater and not turn on the TV at all if what I want is sound.

I have a way around it on my rig too (I feed audio to dash radio),which thanks to the great antenna they put on the rig is all but useless as a radio.. Makes a good Amplifier though.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
Another option could be, put a DVD player in back with the other TV. We have two, one in front and one in back.
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years 🙂

msalyer
Explorer
Explorer
The way I read the original post he is not going to use the front tv. Why assume he is a liar?

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
On ours, only the top plugin was switch controlled. Try the other plug.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
Thank goodness, the moral police have shown up.
We need a large sample. 30 or more RVs that have front TVs on and the percentage of accidents due to such fact.

It has nothing to do with moral police. In many states having the front TV on is a violation. If a LEO sees it he/she can pull you over and issue a ticket.
The percentage of accidents is meaningless. It is like saying that .09 blood alcohol is no worse than the law's .08 because no study has been done. Unless the law is changed you have no argument when facing the judge.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Just use a dvd portable player or economical laptop to play,it is portable and of course can be used outside also.They are not expensive.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
In 36 years as a professional RV Tech, I have never heard of, or had a customer get a ticket for having a TV ON while in transit. There is NO Federal law that governs this. There are some states that have a law that states that IF the TV is visible from the drivers chair it must not be ON. NOT that it must be disabled, just that it cannot be visible for the driver while in Transit. There are some motorhomes that the front overhead TV is not visible to the driver. That said, about 50% of Motorhomes have a OEM Ignition disable system. I have NEVER seen a DVD/VCR connected to the Ignition disable system, ONLY the TV. I guess there are some that disable both 120 plugs instead of just the TV. MOST Ignition disable system are extremely EASY to disable or bypass. Both Fleetwood and Monaco had HOT 120 plugs right next to the Ignition disabled plug, so you just unplugged from the Ignition plug and plugged into the hot plug next to it. As a practical for the OP, it would be best and very cheap to just install a extra DVD player in the rear bedroom. DVD players are cheap. Doug