cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator issue

dperkinstx
Explorer
Explorer
I cranked my generator, then turned on my A/C. The A/C didn't come on. So I pulled out and plugged in my power cord and tried my A/C again. This time it worked. Something's going on with my A/C. Is there a fuse or switch I need to check? There's a panel with fuses under my dinette seat. Is there something in there that could be malfunctioning?
23 REPLIES 23

dperkinstx
Explorer
Explorer
DaCrema wrote:
I have had a similar issue a few times. Once it was the master circuit breaker on the generator another time it was a circuit breaker in the onboard breaker box (I forget which came first). Both times I had been running the generator to power the AC and other things and did not systemically go through the RV and turn off things before turning the generator on. When the generator powered up the load was to much and tripped the breakers. It only took the two times to learn. The AC was the big culprit.

If the master breaker on the generator is the issue, the AC (and other things) will work when plugged in to shore power but when unplugged and running on generator those items will not work. On my generator the breaker is next to the starter switch. I am not talking about the inboard remote starter switch but the starter switch on the generator it self.

I would love for this to be the issue. It's supposed to rain all week, so I'll check as soon as I get the opportunity.

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a similar issue a few times. Once it was the master circuit breaker on the generator another time it was a circuit breaker in the onboard breaker box (I forget which came first). Both times I had been running the generator to power the AC and other things and did not systemically go through the RV and turn off things before turning the generator on. When the generator powered up the load was to much and tripped the breakers. It only took the two times to learn. The AC was the big culprit.

If the master breaker on the generator is the issue, the AC (and other things) will work when plugged in to shore power but when unplugged and running on generator those items will not work. On my generator the breaker is next to the starter switch. I am not talking about the inboard remote starter switch but the starter switch on the generator it self.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did your tech replace the ATS? If so, did he give you an instruction sheet? Can you post Make/Model of your ATS?

Starting to sound like the ATS doesn't "see" that the genset is running.

Have you looked under the dinette, seen if it's the ATS, looked for loose wires?

Safety first! Unplug the shore tie and don't be running the genset while you poke around...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

dperkinstx
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
OP - You say you "pulled out and plugged in my power cord." Does that mean this is one of the RV's where the genset powers an outlet that you plug your campground hookup cable into? Basically your genset creates a portable power pedestal?
Or, do you have an Automatic Transfer Switch/ATS as described by WyoTraveler above? Much simpler to troubleshoot with the outlet vs. the ATS.

My '94 Minnie Winnie has an Automatic Transfer Switch. I had this problem once before. I had a guy fix it. When I asked him what he did he said he replaced a part under the dinette seat. When I asked more, he was VERY vague. I don't think he did what he said he did. When he drove it back to me the generator was running and the A/C was blowing cold. The next day cranked up the generator, then turned on the A/C.

A week later (last weekend) we went camping. We got to the camp site and plugged into a 30 amp plug. We ran the A/C that evening.

Now, another week later, I start up the generator, then turn on the A/C. It doesn't come on. I turned off the generator, pulled out the power cord and plugged into a 30 amp outlet at my house. The A/C came on.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing make and model MH.
But some MH's the powe fird has to be plugged into the generator outlet to work. Same cord you plug into shire power conn. Look for a matching plug conn. In where cord is stored.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP - You say you "pulled out and plugged in my power cord." Does that mean this is one of the RV's where the genset powers an outlet that you plug your campground hookup cable into? Basically your genset creates a portable power pedestal?
Or, do you have an Automatic Transfer Switch/ATS as described by WyoTraveler above? Much simpler to troubleshoot with the outlet vs. the ATS.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
It may not be needed to say but on your coach don't you have to plug the power cord into something to complete the circuit from gen to coach? I know my first used C I had to and often forgot and thought the ac died too.

That and my ac has a VERY long delay often leading one to believe it's not working. Flip it on and off several times too quickly and I swear the delay is even longer.

BTW: I make sure everything is off before starting the gen. Then put the loads on it.

""...The generator will either have an automatic transfer switch to sense whether you are using shore power or the generator, or you will need to plug the RV power cord into a generator receptacle to use the generator....""
http://www.rvuniversity.com/staticpages/index.php/rvgens101

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
After the generator starts there is a delay. Mine has a delay of about 30 to 45 seconds. When you said you unplugged and plugged back in it was OK. Could it be the delay?

mahaney
Explorer
Explorer
Is just your A/C not working or is nothing working? There should be a breaker on the generator that could have tripped or one of the breakers under your dinner old be partially tripped. Try resetting and see what happens.

J