cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generator wierdness

mattclark2012
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 93 Holiday Rambler Endeavour with a Onan Marquis 7000 and two Dometic Duotherm roof ac's (front and back). In the past I've been able to run both at the same time as it should be. After not using for several months I fired up the generator and tried to run both ac's. I would turn on the first one and it would run fine. When I would try the second the generator would die. That was yesterday. Today I tried again and the front ac wouldn't start at all. There is a switch under my counter that lets you pick which ac you want to use when using shore power. As a last resort/experiment I tried flipping that switch to the front unit. Lo and behold that reversed the situation: I could start up the front ac but not the back. In other words it's behaving like it normally would when hooked up to shore power, where you can only run one ac at a time, but I'm running the generator so I should be able to run both. Hopefully my explanation was clear. Any idea why this would be happening?
11 REPLIES 11

Mike20657
Explorer
Explorer
On my 93 Holiday Rambler both AC Units operate together but only with Generator running. I original figured only one would run like with Shore Power but was pleased to see that both come on with Gen running. Since breaker was popped need to check output voltages and amperage etc. hope this helps...

mattclark2012
Explorer
Explorer
We did a slight tweak of the carb to run richer and instant fix. Thanks all for your help!

mattclark2012
Explorer
Explorer
I got a fuel filter that I will have my buddy replace. Wouldn't my engine be running rough if I was having the issues you describe?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
After not using for several months

There is your problem, Directions say 1/2 hour under 1/2 load every month. You did not do that and as a result the generator now has issues.

Suspects are fuel filter, carb and air filter, though that last one is down the list a bit, There are some other possible issues too but.. Those are the prime suspects.

I have seen fuel lines, and fuel pumps cause a loss of power in an engine too. But those are less likely.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mattclark2012
Explorer
Explorer
In the meantime, if it's not the carb or fuel flow what would you check next? I can run 1 ac and fridge no problem if that tells you anything.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, spritz, we love it.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

mattclark2012
Explorer
Explorer
I will have one of my buddies take a look. Out of my area of skills... I will post the results. Thanks all.

spritz_55423
Explorer
Explorer
Son of Norway,
I sure like the looks of your MH.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Could be several problems, start by making sure that it has adequate fuel flow and the carburetor isn't fouled.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

mattclark2012
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your quick response. Much appreciated. Checked it out. I had tripped a breaker. Reset that. Now I am back to the original problem which is I can't run both ac's at a time without the generator dying on me.

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
Check for a tripped breaker on your generator. It has two output breakers and it sounds like one is tripped.