cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator won't shut off from remote start button

marbar
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 1998 Roadtrek Poplar with an Onan gennie.The genie starts fine from inside but will not shut off. I have to crawl under the back and remove the plate and shut it off from the on/off sw. on the generator. Reason anyone??
5 REPLIES 5

marbar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, I will check that connection and hope its the culprit. Safe travels

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, it looks like the most likely source is the connection at the gen-set. I would check the wiring at the switch first, and eliminate that.

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid wrote:
Bad switch.

May not be the switch. Years ago this topic came up here and a well informed individual explained that the Onan remote switch controls start and stop function with the ground wire. I believe your problem is not the switch, but the wiring between the generator and the switch.

chainegang
Explorer
Explorer
Onan generator has a plug in connection that is for remote start/stop convience. The cable for the swtich inside the motorhome is usually pre-wired by the factory. The final connections are usually made at time of a generator installation if so ordered. Many times the generator is installed at the dealership. The culprit for a no shut off issue is likely one of the two areas that connect the cable to the remote switch. The likely spot would be near the generator itself. There is a plug in port on the generator on it's outer shell. This connection is wired to the factory installed cable comming from the remote switch location. The three/four wires are probably spliced/soldered or just twisted/crimped together. At any case one of them is the ground wire that stops the gererator when called for. My vote is for a bad connection at that point since it is sbjected to all the road grime and weather conditions. It'l be a bear to get to, based on how you described crawling to shut it down. You may even have to drop the generator to get to it. But it will be well worth $$ your time to get to the connection yourself.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Bad switch.