cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GFI issue in bathroom -trips 3 recptaces - will not reset

Ronaldlee
Explorer
Explorer
I have a situation going on with the bathroom GFI popping and will not reset. It takes out the receptacle in the kitchen and the outside TV. These are on the same side of the coach. Have replaced the GFI 3 times but will not last. This is on a 2006 Fleetwood Excursion. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks for any information you might have....

Ron
39 REPLIES 39

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, one side of the element was going to ground. The element looks like a small rod with two wires attached.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mcal63775
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
mcal63775:
He replaced the 120 volt heating element. Common as the wires pass through the sheet metal stack which is sharp and cuts insulation grounding out the element.

So by tech replacing the element, somehow that fixed my issue with the GFI.:h

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
mcal63775:
He replaced the 120 volt heating element. Common as the wires pass through the sheet metal stack which is sharp and cuts insulation grounding out the element.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mcal63775
Explorer
Explorer
I had s similar situation. Took MH (97 Coachmen F-53) in for refridgerator recall and explained to tech what was happening with GFI. He knew where to look right away and solved the problem by replacing a rod that goes to fridge. The rod gets super hot and how that works on a fridge is beyond me. I was just amazed and happy that he got it fixed so quickly.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
jyrostng wrote:
check outside outlet for moisture

Yes. This problem just screams of a moisture issue from outside but I assume you have checked that out perhaps including replacing the outside outlet. I have had so many GFCI issues with homes and condos. Everytme it is a problem outside. This one is a puzzle so I am going to be fascinated by the fix.

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
check outside outlet for moisture
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Ronaldlee wrote:
I have a situation going on with the bathroom GFI popping and will not reset. It takes out the receptacle in the kitchen and the outside TV. These are on the same side of the coach. Have replaced the GFI 3 times but will not last. This is on a 2006 Fleetwood Excursion. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Ron

did you ever think maybe the GFCI was doing its job by tripping. I love it when folks start replacing devices when a problem arises. Check each plug on that circuit for moisture or possibly the grounding conductor touching the neutral.
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try ScottG suggestion first and let us know how that works for you.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Ronaldlee wrote:

Ron

I assume you have nothing plugged into to these and anywhere along the chain.
To insure it's not the GFI itself, install it somewhere in your house and/or begin by disconnecting the last one in the string and working your way towards the source, so as to get a better fix on things.
If you now have a spare, install it elsewhere and save yourself the trouble of removing the other one.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, when you say you've replaced it 3 times do you mean just recently or over time of ownership of the coach?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
I would try what Scott said. I had that same problem last year and it was the fridge heaters. Same issue when starting the fridge after not working. Found if you ran fridge on propane until cold then could run on electric with no problem. Initial startup seems to be the problem.

mrkeman
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem and found one of the outlets the netrual wire had worked itself loose from terminal.
2004 Itasca Sunova 35'
V-10 2 slides
No toad yet

scot-to-rv
Explorer
Explorer
We had same problem last year. There was a reset switch on our inverter that we needed to push. I called the manufacturer and they problem solved this for us. Best wishes.

Ronaldlee
Explorer
Explorer
msturtz wrote:
Ronaldlee wrote:
Do not know if they are on the inverted or not.
It trips on all the others...

Are you using an extension cord?

Not using one

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My first thought is a RV type fridge with a bad electric heater. It may work fine but be leaky to ground which will trip the GFCI. Unplug fridge and if it's fine after that, replace fridge heat element.