cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give me some way to sleep 4 in a B

gnight
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a 30ft Class C. It's too big for what we want and my wife won't drive it. She wants, and I want, to move to the Class B.

The B's are superb for she and I. But I have a 17yo and a 9yo who need a place to sleep when we sleep in the RV. Now the 17yo won't be around much longer so this thing will mainly be sleeping 3...but for the short term, I need to squeeze a 4th in there somewhere.

Any ideas? Any Class B that would be better than another? Any of them where I can throw a twin air bed somewhere? The 9 year old will sleep almost anywhere.

I know these things are made for 2 but there's gotta be a way. I've looked at the small C's and doubt my wife will drive those do to their width. Plus we love the gas mileage of the Sprinters.
44 REPLIES 44

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
Well we have a b+, three slides, a bed in the back, and the sofa turns to a queen bed. Next ?, and it's a 30fter, oops 29sorry. Now it's all happy-camping

jamescook
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
my Westfalia Sprinter Van (medium wheelbase) sleeps four. The upper bed is huge (95" x 60"), the lower bed is 79" x 51".

Have a look at this video (it's actually my van!) to see how it works.

Peter
KK6IMU

gnight
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice guys. Still searching for that perfect RV for the family. The Roadtrek Adventurous is still at the top of the list if we can find one reasonably priced, which seems impossible compared to the class C's.

But for our planned usage, the sprinters are hard to pass up with the good gas mileage and essentially a big conversion van. That's actually what we were going to buy before the 30foot Class C but then a friend's parents had the C for cheap so we went with it.

I do like all the inventive ways of getting an extra bed in these things.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
That's really good advice NY.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Explorer
Explorer
Most say the an adult - and a 17 year old is large enough to qualify - is not comfortable in the Roadtrek front seat with the optional bed conversion unit - and the two units to use the four seats as two beds need someplace to be during the day. Space is at a premium in a Class B and storage is next to non-existent. While the claims are that some can sleep 4 - well it is tight quarters even for two. Togetherness is not enough to describe traveling this way with more than two and forget about any privacy when using the toilet or getting dressed. I have heard from others who wanted to try it with three and were very unhappy after they spent all of the money with the assurances that it would be just fine inside. There are C's built on vans with the same drivability as a B and these have provisions to sleep four. If you mind is set on a B then spend the money and hope for the best - but with what you are spending that is a big risk to take. You can rent B's - Roadtrek's website will direct you to dealers who rent. Try it before you buy it and see for yourself.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
loving retirement wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
loving retirement wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Hey, gnight - here's one that will sleep 3 - 4 easily - http://boise.craigslist.org/rvd/3924138797.html

Hey ReneeG, that BT Cruiser is a Class C on a Ford450 and must be nearly 30 feet long. Gnight already said he has a 30 feet Class C which is too large and he wants a Class B.

Well it says Class B.

For years I drove a Class C on a Toyota chassis. Piece of cake compared to what I have now.

Take another look, its built on a Ford 450 cab chassis, not a modified van as all Class B's. I have never seen a Class B built on a Ford 450.

Sure is nice looking.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
loving retirement wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Hey, gnight - here's one that will sleep 3 - 4 easily - http://boise.craigslist.org/rvd/3924138797.html

Hey ReneeG, that BT Cruiser is a Class C on a Ford450 and must be nearly 30 feet long. Gnight already said he has a 30 feet Class C which is too large and he wants a Class B.

Well it says Class B.

For years I drove a Class C on a Toyota chassis. Piece of cake compared to what I have now.

Take another look, its built on a Ford 450 cab chassis, not a modified van as all Class B's. I have never seen a Class B built on a Ford 450.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
loving retirement wrote:
ReneeG wrote:

Well it says Class B.

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer

Road-Trekker
Explorer
Explorer
We have the short wheelbase sprinter (Roadtrek Agile) and with a DIY bed, it sleeps 4 (2 adults and 2 kids). We share the rear bed with our 9 year old daughter, and my son sleeps on the front DIY bed (pictured below), or I can sleep in the front and 3 of them shares the rear bed. Another adult can sleep on the floor with self inflating mattress if neeeded.

Roadtrek Agile SS: Roadtrek Modifications

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
my opinion is a b is est suited for 2. trying to squeeze more in-except for short periods of time is a mistake.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a B with four beds. Roadtrek has one, Sportmobile will build one.Get a Westfalia camper, almost every model made had at least four beds.

The extra sleeping space, riding space, will cost you something else (living space, storage, bathroom, kitchen space) but these are the compromises we make choosing to fit into smaller containers.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

gnight
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I've never let my wife drive the C. She hates it. As a matter of fact, we took it into town to gas it up and wash it and she commented how nervous the RV made her just sitting in the passenger seat. Mainly because you have to think ahead when parking it or pulling into an unknown parking lot.

A small C is reasonable and cheaper than the B's for sure. Not sure about it though. It just seems we would use the B so much more especially with traveling baseball teams. It would be multi-purpose unlike a class C RV.

The Roadtrek Adventurous gives us the best options. I love the older ones with a cabover bunk but wish they were in the newer models/chassis. Like the Sprinters for the gas mileage and drive-ability. We've both been looking and think there are several that will sleep 3 and we can still crash the 9 year old in the "hallway" on a pad.

We'll keep looking. We're not in a rush and still have to get rid of the Class C at some point.