cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gps units

ginagary
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Winnebago Journey. We currently have a 2006 garmin streetpilot that we use for navigation. It has been starting to give us problems. What GPS navigation system do you all prefer?
16 REPLIES 16

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Three vehicles, three Garmins... three good experiences. I use them for the main routing.

I got a $50 Android tablet at BestBuy (Digiland 7") that has a built-in GPS. I run a free application called Waze - it uses social media to give me very current road conditions (hazards, speed traps, traffic slowdown, etc). The tablet uses a WiFi hotspot via my Android smartphone so I have weather radar as well.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 for the Garmin RV760LM
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
ginagary wrote:
We have a 2007 Winnebago Journey. We currently have a 2006 garmin streetpilot that we use for navigation. It has been starting to give us problems. What GPS navigation system do you all prefer?

I have two of the Streetpilot 7200 Garmin GPS units. I noticed some time ago that if I used one of the "splitters" used to connect two or more things to the single 12 volt outlet that my GPS unit had trouble acquiring the satellites. It would still power up and look fine but it still had trouble with the signal it was receiving from the satellites.
If that is the problem you are having and you are using a splitter, try hooking up your Streetpilot directly to the 12 volt outlet and see if that corrects your problems.

the reason for that puzzles me. my latest Garmin has the traffic warnings that requires the special electric cord to be plugged in. perhaps when you use a splitter the cord runs in a different location. the only other possibility I can think of is lesser current supplied?
bumpy

That is what I figured is that somehow the GPS unit is receiving a little less amperage. They still powered up just fine and the screen looked just as bright but the satellites would not lock on when connected in conjunction with any other piece of equipment.
I doubt if the newer Garmin units would be affected but the OP said he had an older unit and if it is like mine possibly he had the same problem as mine.

I guess the next question would be to just plug it into the splitter with nothing else plugged in. see if that works OK
bumpy

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
ginagary wrote:

I have two of the Streetpilot 7200 Garmin GPS units. I noticed some time ago that if I used one of the "splitters" used to connect two or more things to the single 12 volt outlet that my GPS unit had trouble acquiring the satellites. It would still power up and look fine but it still had trouble with the signal it was receiving from the satellites.
If that is the problem you are having and you are using a splitter, try hooking up your Streetpilot directly to the 12 volt outlet and see if that corrects your problems.

the reason for that puzzles me. my latest Garmin has the traffic warnings that requires the special electric cord to be plugged in. perhaps when you use a splitter the cord runs in a different location. the only other possibility I can think of is lesser current supplied?
bumpy

That is what I figured is that somehow the GPS unit is receiving a little less amperage. They still powered up just fine and the screen looked just as bright but the satellites would not lock on when connected in conjunction with any other piece of equipment.
I doubt if the newer Garmin units would be affected but the OP said he had an older unit and if it is like mine possibly he had the same problem as mine.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
6 years and counting with a TomTom...the expensive one! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
ginagary wrote:

bumpy

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

If you have a smartphone or tablet with gps Co-Pilot app is what we use.

Co-Pilot gps app

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
I had a StreetPilot that I really liked, but it got so that the touchscreen would not stay calibrated. I bought a Garmin nuvi 2555LMT as replacement. Also did not know about the trade in program.

A couple of things I am not happy with you should consider. In the past I used MapSource extensively for route planning. The newer units use new software called BaseCamp. It seems BaseCamp has features to support multiple versions of their navigators, but all features are not compatible with all versions. Where this bites me is that I can plan a route with "bus" vehicle type, but when I transfer the route to my device, it does not understand what a "bus" is.

The worst part is, when I plan a route on the computer and then transfer it to the device, it gets recalculated and I often get surprised when the route ends up different from what was on computer. I have tried overcoming this by adding additional waypoints to force a specific route, but it is alot of extra work and still not foolproof.

Maybe I should have gotten the RV unit, but I use this alot in my toad as well so really did not want the bigger unit. So, seems you really need to understand how you intend to use it and make sure the software features of the unit you choose lines up with that.
Roaming Full Timer

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Garmin, great products with USA support.
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
A sextant is better than a TomTom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
ginagary wrote:

DKeppner
Explorer
Explorer
What Jack said if you want to simply update your GPS unit.

What TNRIVERSIDE said if looking for new. Can't say enough about how well we like the Garmin.
Its not the Destination or the Journey.
Its the Excursion

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
You may just need a software update. Plug the unit into your computer and go to the Garmin site and check to see if there is a software update. Since 2006 I would think there would be several.

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 2797LMT with lifetime maps, traffic alerts etc. Very satisfied with the unit. I was unaware that Garmin had a trade in program, I'll have to remember that.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU