cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS WITH CAPABILITY TO FIND RV PARKS

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in a GPS that will take the work out of travel I would like to have a program that after each 300 miles shows me the nearby RV overnight parks.

I just want to tell it 300 miles from here I want to spend the night and the software give me choices.

Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
My Rand McNally 7720 does great and I get notification for updates constantly... Whenever new road construction it happening or data needs to be updated. Their current model is 7735.

I first had the 7710 and it was the most useless thing I have ever bought...RM replaced it with the 7720.

conceptumator
Explorer
Explorer
I did the Garmin RV760, too - love it! First unit I've ever had in their that really works and makes it easy to find RV related places, etc. Had the Rand McNally model like Camping World sells under the Good Sam heading and it sucked. Probably just me on a lot of it, but there didn't even seem to be a way to update the maps, etc. on the RM. The Garmin will actually tell you when an update for software and/or maps is available.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Marry a navigator and give her the job. :B

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Kaz

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
OK, I want to leave Cleveland , Ohio and drive 300 miles on my way to Seattle. I would like to program to tell me where the 300 miles takes me and what camp areas are there. Next day same thing and so on until I reach Seattle destination. What program do I need to purchase? Thank you

I'm on the road and don't have my normal route planning tools available, but here's an example of how I would address your question:
  • Use GoogleMaps, MapSource, Microsoft S&T, or any other mapping program.
  • Cleveland to Seattle is 2362 miles, which at 300 miles/day will take about 7-1/2 days.
  • First day, look at your map, pick a point about 300 miles out, and search near that point for campgrounds.
  • In that vicinity, you'll note there are 3 campgrounds sort-of close to I-80: Sand Creek Campground (Chesterton, IN), Camp Land RV (Burns Harbor, IN), and Yogi Bear Jellystone Park (Portage, IN).
  • Go to http://www.rvparkreviews.com and check out the reviews for all three campgrounds, and then pick one that's OK for you. E.g., the Jellystone Park campground gets a 2.7 rating and the posted reviews say the place is pretty much terrible. The review for Sand Creek is not much better.
  • Based on that, I'd be inclined to driver either more or less, but your preferences may vary.
  • Make you choice and spend the night there.
  • Then pick the spot 300 miles out from wherever you've stopped. Search again, and pick a spot. E.g., the KOA in Oakdale, WI (which gets good reviws).
  • And then continue on in the same manner.
Obviously, that's a fair amount of work, but for me the route planning is actually part of the fun. If it's drudgery for you, and you want something more automated, then I'll leave it to others to chime in.

Hope that helps,
Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Is the RM a purchased program?I found one on computer but it did not show the 300 mile distances?

YC 1 wrote:
The Rand Mcnally does exactly that. You just ask it for campgrounds near your destination OR along your route. You can even filter them if you want.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
wE DON'T TRAVEL IN tEXAS WE ALWAYS HAVE SOMEWHERE. uNLIKE THE MASS OF NOTHING IN tEXAS.

mfox20 wrote:
So after 300 miles and you are in the middle of nowhere, what answer are you expecting. ๐Ÿ™‚

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
So after 300 miles and you are in the middle of nowhere, what answer are you expecting. ๐Ÿ™‚
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I want to leave Cleveland , Ohio and drive 300 miles on my way to Seattle. I would like to program to tell me where the 300 miles takes me and what camp areas are there. Next day same thing and so on until I reach Seattle destination. What program do I need to purchase?

Thank you

YC 1 wrote:
The Rand Mcnally does exactly that. You just ask it for campgrounds near your destination OR along your route. You can even filter them if you want.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps has this feature, and it's free. Just type in 'RV parks' on your phone or computer.

And, of course, RV parky.

Both have reviews.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly I misstated my desires. I would like the program to take my route to X and each 300 miles tell me what camping areas are available. I do not want to put in stps. I want program to give me stops to select from.

Sorry for my err.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most any GPS that can accept POI files can do the job.

Microsoft Streets And Trips (now discontinued) came with the Woodall's park Directory built in. Discovery Owners group has a bunch of POI files you might browse for whatever you have

And of course Google Maps on me 'droid has all sorts of info.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Stealth1
Explorer
Explorer
Let's deviate slightly... there is a subscription computer service that I use when planning our trips. The service is called RV Trip Wizard. You can try it before subscribing to it... It allows you to set a set of "distance rings" which are concentric from your last specified location and you specify the distance on each ring (I have mine set at 200, 250 and 300 miles). You can find it here:

RV Trip Wizard

Once you get the hang of it, it's a REALLY useful tool!!
Ken & Anita
Newmar Essex, 45', 4 Slide, Cummins 500 ISM, Custom Graphics
2013 Honda CRV
Good Sam, FMCA, Hoots Nation