cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS

HavaRaptor
Explorer
Explorer
What are you folks using and what would you recommend?? Am purchasing a class A. Have them in car and PU but they are factory installed.. Thanks in advance...Jerry
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2000 Kenworth T2K
2008 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
2012 Can Am Commander X
2008 Can Am Outlander 650XT
2012 Can Am Outlander 1000XT
14 REPLIES 14

campguy3040
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Garmin NUVI 50LM. It's bright, has big screen, and easy to use. I bought a 2nd one for the car.
2012 Winnebago Vista, Triple Slide Ford F53.
Blue Ox Tiger Trak track bar, RoadMaster Reflex Steering,&
"Cheep Handling Fix"
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar w/Patriot Brake System
Chevy HHR toad.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Do NOT get an RVND 5510. I wasted my money on one of those. While it has a lot of POI's, tons of info, RV Specific, and overall great when it works. That's the problem, it freezes up constantly, continues to tell me I will be on a dirt road in .6 miles even on a highway, and their customer service barely speaks English. Their solution to the problem is to always do a file repair. I have never had a GPS where the processor is so unstable it requires repeated file repairs. Especially handy when it freezes up and you are on the DC beltway. And finally it's heavy. Downright brick. Still keeps it from being too light for a boat anchor. Expensive paperweight. Now I use CoPilot app on my Iphone. Works great. The co pilot app is only about $10.00 if you download the maps. I'll never buy a gps again.
2013 ACE 29.2

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Our TOMTOM XXL 550TN boat anchor works fairly well, however as a backup we have a marine compass mounted on our dash and maintain a current road map. :B
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob_nestor wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
I used to be a Garmin fan, but I switched over to the Magellans. They are all pretty good and all have some bugs, but the Magellan has a better search feature than Garmin.

I've got multiple Garmins and one TomTom (in-dash). The TomTom wouldn't even make a good boat anchor. Looking at replacing it with a Kenwood/Garmin in-dash. As for searching in Garmin, all of mine are different. I wish they'd try and use the same User Interface on all units, but it's a small price to pay for something that blows the doors off TomTom.

BTW, the Kenwood/Garmin I'm looking at is new this year. It's the DNX570HD that lists for about $850 but can be picked up at some places for $600. I'm surprised at how much the prices have come down from last year's models.

I used to use mine in law enforcement so I needed to be able to enter addresses fast and the Magellan was the best for that. When you wanted to enter an address you started with the City and it always give you the city you were in as the first option. Once you selected the City then you would select the street. As you typed you are only able to type in streets that actually exist as letters black out on the keyboard if they don't match an existing street. And you enter the numbers last and again you are only able to punch in numbers for blocks that actually exist. When I had Garmins they were never like that. You would always have to type in and select the City from the entire database. It just took too long.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
msmith1199 wrote:
I used to be a Garmin fan, but I switched over to the Magellans. They are all pretty good and all have some bugs, but the Magellan has a better search feature than Garmin.

I've got multiple Garmins and one TomTom (in-dash). The TomTom wouldn't even make a good boat anchor. Looking at replacing it with a Kenwood/Garmin in-dash. As for searching in Garmin, all of mine are different. I wish they'd try and use the same User Interface on all units, but it's a small price to pay for something that blows the doors off TomTom.

BTW, the Kenwood/Garmin I'm looking at is new this year. It's the DNX570HD that lists for about $850 but can be picked up at some places for $600. I'm surprised at how much the prices have come down from last year's models.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned Garmin (Several), Tom Tom, and my DW bought me a Magellan Roadmate 9165T for Christmas two tears ago. They will all have you scratching your head as to why in the world is it sending me this way. I always found it amusing they will send you one way to get to a destination and a totally different one on the way back.

Of the those that I have owned, Garmin appears the least problematic.

The DW got the Magellan at CW to use in the RV as it was supposed to be RV friendly and recommended by CW/GS. I find it interesting that CW/GS has not logoed a Rand McNally product as their GPS unit.

I don't like the fact it won't recharge itself when connected to the laptop for map updates. You have to be sure to have a full battery before you start the update process.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
There are a myriad of options out there but I'd try to get a "last generation" model with lifetime updates.

I'd only buy Garmin. TomTom is horrific in my experience.

I'd buy based on parameters - the latest ones should have:

Spoken street names (text to speech)
Correct lane identification for complex interchanges (awesome feature)
Flat profile for packing if needed
Lithium ion battery if for some reason disconnected from power
Traffic updates
Under $150 or 200 unless that is not a concern

For RVers, there are also options for truckers that includes height limits in navigation and truck routes.

gajd33
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from using this forum to search the previous GPS posts of which there are literally hundreds, I vote for the Garmin Dezl 760LMT. While not made specifically for a RV, its trucking features are close enough for our needs.

If your looking for outside resources we found these two articles helpful when we were shopping:
Whatโ€™s The Best GPS For RVers?
RV GPS Comparison and Review: What are the Best Options?

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought the large Garmin dezl 760 because I like Garmin products over the others, but have not really used it yet.

Whatever you buy, get one with the lifetime maps. You don't really need to update them very often, but it's nice when needed. One of my older GPS', which would cost about $50 to upgrade the maps, doesn't show the new (5 years old?) cloverleaf on the highway, so it always shows that I'm out in the trees when I go home. When I go to Vancouver, WA every year, I always update that GPS because there's always new overpasses or exits down there.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

exioum
Explorer
Explorer
tropical_ron wrote:
Just my opinion. NEVER solely rely on any GPS while driving a motorhome. We've had to unhook our tow vehicle when our gps took us to a cul-de-sac by mistake. We always carry the gps in the car while exploring. Streets & Trips type trip tickets work well for us.

That's very good advice. Even with my new Garmin 760 that gets free lifetime updates, i plan to look the area over on a map or Google Earth.
exioum

exioum
Explorer
Explorer
HavaRaptor wrote:
What are you folks using and what would you recommend?? Am purchasing a class A. Have them in car and PU but they are factory installed.. Thanks in advance...Jerry

Just asked the same question about two weeks ago. I really got some great imput. Your may wat to look back at some old post. Anyway, I purchased the Garmin 760LMT last week. It has the Truck and RV mode and many other features you may be looking for. Go to their site and check it out. I purchased mine through Best Buy, free shipping and got it in two days.
Good luck...
exioum

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Just my opinion. NEVER solely rely on any GPS while driving a motorhome. We've had to unhook our tow vehicle when our gps took us to a cul-de-sac by mistake. We always carry the gps in the car while exploring. Streets & Trips type trip tickets work well for us.
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Recent Gps posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman